Author Topic: Jon Wurster in Rolling Stone  (Read 4001 times)

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Jon Wurster in Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »
Who's THAT?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Stanley

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
I particularly appreciated Jon's 'micro-essay' discussing the Yvonne Elliman/Gibbs' "If I Can't Have You" / Joy Division lyrical concern parallels. Probably the best music writing in that or any recent issue of Rolling Stone...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
I particularly appreciated Jon's 'micro-essay' discussing the Yvonne Elliman/Gibbs' "If I Can't Have You" / Joy Division lyrical concern parallels. Probably the best music writing in that or any recent issue of Rolling Stone...
Please clarify. By which, I mean more details, please.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Stanley

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
Please clarify. By which, I mean more details, please.

Well, Here is the blurb (written by Jon Wurster from the above RS link I was jokingly referring to as a 'micro-essay':

Yvonne Elliman, "If I Can't Have You"
"I would always turn this song off as a kid, just because it was disco. But [recently] I'd been reading this book about the Bee Gees, who wrote this song. Then, by chance, it came on in a store I was in. I was struck by how it's almost like a Joy Division song, in terms of the desperation of the lyric. It's almost like a suicide note. 'I don't know why I'm surviving every lonely day, when there's got to be no chance for me / My life would end, and it doesn't matter how I cry.' Very dark."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-funniest-drummer-in-indie-rock-20130827#ixzz34MJHH7Ra
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

What else to say... I guess I like it when otherwise dismissed/thrown-away culture gets interestingly parsed out and  analyzed and appreciated on the level of the more so-called serious heavy stuff when the thing in question merits being looked at further in some way... Every so often there is interesting stuff happening in those lumbering mega-hits...and the overall history of Disco is a really deep, politicized interesting one.

CakeRabbit

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
Wurster called to tell us about a few of his favorite rest-stop radio tunes. At least, that was the idea at first.

I love how it devolved very quickly into most terrifying songs with the most lyrics full of creeps.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
sorry to ressurect this, but i've been away from the board for a long time. 

The Rush story, hands down, the best one.