Author Topic: Best Show Deep Cuts  (Read 31474 times)

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
Best Show Deep Cuts
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:11:21 AM »
Any good suggestions for the deep cut of the Best Show playlist?  I came across an old bit that had me crying from laughter.  The fact that Tom did this off the top of his head just proves the genius-level comedy provided on this show.  This might seem crazy, but i'm going to transcribe as much of this as possible, because I don't see that any audio is available on youtube.  If you want to pull it up in the archives, check out August 23, 2011 circa 50 minutes.  Here it goes.

Tom Sings over Pet Sounds Instrumentals:

The topic begins by discussing The Who discography, wherein Tom makes the claim that The Who Sell Out is The Who's Pet Sounds, without the two "grade A turkey instrumentals", which he describes as music for "buying lawn furniture". 

These instrumentals...let's check these instrumentals out.  I know I got put words to these things.  "Let's Go Away For Awhile"

Now, look: I've listened to Pet Sounds more than any of you...more than any of you.  Trust me.  But I know there are two grade A turkeys on this thing, and they are the instrumentals.

This is Let's Go Away For Awhile.

The track starts playing.[/b]

Let me think.  How can I sing to this? Let me think. Let's see. Okay I got it. start it over.

(Tom revises (revitalizes?) the song...)

And I was walking down the street one day, and then i decided to go away
I figured I'd take a long trip.
I got my car and drove across the bridge.
I went to town and had a sandwich too. 
And everybody loved it.
Because it was time to go away.

So baby let's go away for awhile and figure out the things they're saying about us. 
Everone's gotta know that life can be hard. 
But sometimes you just.....
You just gotta get away...
Sometimes you gotta get away...

Bridge:

And if you feel that you have been left behind it is  time for you to get away for a while

Song stops

I'm doing this off the top of my head!  This dude couldn't have written a melody for this thing?! What's the otherr one? Pet Sounds.  Pet Sounds is the other one with no lyrics.

The track Pet Sounds begins

Hey  You.
Hey! You gotta realize that life can be so hard
Hey
How bout you got to walk away like I sang, in that other song.

It's a concept album you see....okay maybe this one isn't so easy.

Mike--this might seem a little rash--but will you put Brian Wilson in the hate pit until he puts out the album he promised us, Pleasure Island."

dave in the yard

• Policemans heel
Re: Best Show Deep Cuts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
I'll often hear tom say something so funny i figure it's gotta be searchable.  if you type in "real life ed harris.  real life ed harris that got a bucket of water poured on his head", nothing happens though.  so i encourage your transcription efforts.  almost any chunk of tom talking is gold. 

John M.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
I relistened to this last night after reading this thread and loved it. I had almost forgotten about the ban on regular callers. Even though I loved hearing the regulars week to week, this was a great period in the show.

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
There's one episode where Tom says something along the lines of, "I'll say this: If any members of Smash Mouth are listening, if that guy singing for you begins to cop an attitude, I'll gladly take his place." The first time I heard that, I couldn't stop laughing.

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 02:49:43 AM »
Here's a short one, but a good one.  The topic is "never seen it, heard it, or read it."  Date: September 11, 2012.

FMU, you're on the air...

Hello?

Yes, hi.

Hi.  My name is Quinn, and I'm 30 years old.

Hi, Quinn.  How are you tonight?

I'm great.  Um...I have never seen this movie "Wayne's World".

Do you like comedies?

Hm...yeah.

"Hm..yeah".  Look, at this point, you can get by without seeing "Wayne's World".

Really?

...Yeah.  Yeah.

Aren't there, like, references in culture...to it?

Yeah.  "Party on, Garth".

Oh.  I've heard that.

Yeah, okay...Are you planning on saying "party on, Garth" to people anytime soon?

No.

No. Yeah, you're okay.  What's the other one?
(the other film she hasn't seen).

Uh...The Santa Clause with Tim Allen.

What?!  You've never seen that?!  You're 30...what...you didn't....did you go to college?

Yeah.

Did you have any sort of film appreciation class?

No.

No?  Well, that explains that...Look, you can make it without seeing "The Santa Clause" and "Wayne's World".  You can make it by.

Alright...

You sound skeptical.

Yeah, I am--because people talk about it.

Who's talking about The Santa Clause?!?!  Who are you hanging out with?!  You must be hanging out WITH Tim Allen. 

I'm not saying I'm not....

(smirk)...I'm not saying I'm not.  And then you hung up.  That's actually a pretty good way to end the call: "I'm not saying I'm not"...click.

stubing

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:28:29 AM »
Hello! I am no Best Show expert, but I think I found a Best Show in the archives that is a defining moment in the show. It's an early one and it is so incredible that it may mark the transition point from when this show was merely the "best" to when it became transcendent. This show is SO AMAZING. (sorry for the all caps). There is a great Philly Boy Roy call, (and some dudes always trying to sing Kansas songs), but beyond that, there is a tone to the show that demonstrates what it would become. (I think it's also where "Party Zone" came from.) Anyone who hasn't heard Tom go into the "Party Zone" must hear Tom go into the "Party Zone."
Check it out: Jan. 21, 2003. Go to the archives. IT IS AWESOME!!!

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
It's an early one and it is so incredible that it may mark the transition point from when this show was merely the "best" to when it became transcendent.

It's awesome that the name of the show was a self-fufilling prophecy. I love listening to the first episode when Tom talks about the name of the show and why it's called "The Best Show" and what that name means, and how audacious that was then.

And then it came true, the The Best Show became the best show. We miss you Tom!

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »
Tom talking about MC5 on the July 27, 2004 show is fantastic.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
Can I get a non-real media version of this episode?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »
Tom talking about pulling a scam on the owner of Jackson 21's family is an all-time classic.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
Can I get a non-real media version of this episode?

Too cool for Real Player?
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:30 AM »
I get these all the time as I work my way backwards through the archive.

The latest is from October 23, 2007, when Tom and PFT are talking.

Tom confesses that for three full minutes after Jesse Ventura was elected governor of Minnesota, Tom was picturing Randy "Macho Man" Savage and couldn't believe that that guy was a governor now.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

DennyRock

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
November 27, 2012 is a great one.  Really weird at the beginning.  One of the first callers wants to know if Tom has any "requests" for his--no joke--theremin busking strategy.  A strategy that includes playing the melody lines of songs with the theremin and then asking for a dollar.  Tom was legitimately taken a back for a second.  He tried to give a serious answer ("any Roy Orbison song will do").  Then, out of nowhere, Tom starts signing the song in complete theremin style.  At the end of the ear-cringing rendition, Tom asks the kid if he liked it.  The obvious answer was "no, and if I was listening on the radio, I would've changed the channel."  But no, the caller said "it was great!" 

"GET OFF MY PHONE!" was Tom's response.

"That wasn't great!  Just leave people alone.  People are trying to hail a cab and you're out there playing the beginning to "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath.  People have things to do."  He then does more theremin noise, which cannot be replicated, nor would I have been able to because it put me in tears.

And right after that, another entrepreneur seeks advice--this time, the advice he needs is advice for the t-shirt company he's just started.  The, what should be legendary, Best Show call by a likely inebriated Woliner wherein he tries to explain the concept in hopes that more shirts will be posted.  Tom was a stern friend: admonishing him for lashing out at people engaged, yet clearly stating that Jason was partially responsible for this disaster, both by not doing more research and by failing to ignore the "haters' of his product.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »
The Je Shirt enterprise provided lots of laughs.

http://jeshirt.tumblr.com/

http://jeshirt.com/

johnnynovato

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Isn't there an episode in which Tom talks about Alfonzo Blackwell? (HOT, BLAZING, SCORCHING, SEXY.) Where can it be found?