Author Topic: THE BEST SHOW ON WFMU WORLD DOMINATION SCHEME, PHASE ONE. YOUR IDEAS HERE!  (Read 47064 times)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
Also, I defy any rational adult to listen to the call-in segment of "the order of everything", with no prior knowledge of the show, and not fall in love.

amen to that. one of the strangest and funniest things i've ever heard. the placement of the items on the list was so random and arbitrary, yet made perfect sense when you took a step back and look at the whole big picture. amazing.

especially, a tie between: that which cannot be said and the guy in short shorts looking for tiny tim records and clipping fingernails on subway.

Pete Velcro

• Achilles bursitis

A weekly podcast along the lines of this Jouster compilation would be unstoppable:

The Best of the Best of The Best Show on WFMU Vol 1

1. 'The Tommy Song' by The Hinterland Probabilities
2. Tom Gets His Life Threatened By A Co-Worker
3. Julian From The Strokes Calls The Show
4. Sountrackappella - Live at Maxwell's
5. An Enraged Perry Farrell Fan Checks In
6. An Excerpt From 'Get On The Rascal', The Gorch's Audio Tour Diary
7. Samson Is Looking For Love
8. 'You Are The One' by Jon & Jon
9. 'The Tommy Song' by Petey
10 Philly Boy Roy's ''Twas The Night Before Christmas, Philly Style'

Jouster didn't put that compilation together, son. That was one of the marathon premium CDs from a loooong time ago. Petey did the artwork for it.

Tom.

I still have many miles to go.  Ughh. 

erechoveraker

I think I have it solved. Since it seems to work for so many other folks nowadays, how about a Best Show sextape?

Now hear me out...

Monkula

• Plantar Fasciitis
Best possible scenario -

Over the course of an entire month, a fake rift develops between Tom & Teddy Rock Star. This results in "The Gomp Heard Around the World." A Jay-Z/Nas battle of zingers play out in the ensuing weeks, using indy rock websites to promote their hatred for one another. Eventually, they come down to one solution: There can only be one! Teddy challenges Tom to a no holds barred rock battle broadcast live from Maxwell's. Tom accepts, vowing to assemble Von Scharpling one last time. The Danielson family, Yo La Tengo, and Death Cab open. Between each act, the proud people of New Bridge beg of Tom and Teddy not to destroy the planet in an all out scorched earth rock assault. But it's too late. Von Scharpling kills it. Teddy kills it. They eventually come to their senses and make amends by playing "The World is in the Terlet".

The only way you can get into this star studded show is by being on a podcast subscription list.

At the show we pass around a petition to get Tom's 33 1/3 books published.

Good guys win! Bad guys die in a car fire plummeting to the bottom of the hate pit.

Let's make this happen.

erika

• Space Champion!
There seem to be a lot of prominent people out there (Patton Oswalt, Bill Hader, Jason Woliner, PFT) who love The Best Show. Maybe some youtube/myspace videos that somehow tie into the show are in order?

I know I first got into The Best Show by listening to archives of shows that had guests like Tim and Eric, Patton, Zach, etc. So grabbing people that way might not be such a bad idea...
from the land of pleasant living

Athrogate

• Policemans heel
The S&W CDs are what really got me interested in the show, but it's Tom rants and stories and interactions with regular callers that really got me hooked.  Even just a "Best of Tom Scharpling" album might be a good start.

I agree with Yesno and was planning on pitching something along those lines. I was thinking of a Sterolaffs  CD entitled "Scharpling Rants: The Mayhem of the Best Show", or something like that. This CD would contain all the glorious rants that Tom goes off on, whether it be on Billy Crystal's "Jazzman", the Beatles record fair, Juno, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jerry Seinfeld/Bee Movie, LOTR, Clerks/Kevin Smith.... so on and so forth.

I am aware that there's quite a good chance that S & W don't have the rights to these people and their likenesses, and I'm also aware that this S & W CD isn't Wurster-prominent, but be that as it may, if this sort of CD would be possible it would DOMINATE!
If honesty changed the hearts of men, who could contend? If all I thought were true, in this great divide that is my life, I fear to think of all that I'd undo, if all i thought were true.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
How about a collection of Spike calls called "You Got SPIKED"?

yesno

• Space Champion!
This CD would contain all the glorious rants that Tom goes off on, whether it be on Billy Crystal's "Jazzman", the Beatles record fair, Juno, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jerry Seinfeld/Bee Movie, LOTR, Clerks/Kevin Smith.... so on and so forth.

I am aware that there's quite a good chance that S & W don't have the rights to these people and their likenesses,

You don't need Billy Crystal's permission or any kind of "rights" to make fun of him.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
I was thinking of a Sterolaffs  CD entitled "Scharpling Rants: The Mayhem of the Best Show",

This should be called Scharpling On...

Sarah

I disapprove of this whole project--you know, power corrupts, absolute power, etc., or, as I phrase it, anyone who wants power shouldn't have it--but a Scharpling on . . . would be great.

Lacey

• Plantar Fasciitis
What about some paper or digital Beginner's Guide to the Best Show?  We could throw together some type of print out, zine or something. post it here and whomever could print off however many copies and leave them around town.  

I love zines.  I'd love to put together a Best Show zine if people would help me with it. 
There could be biographies of important callers, articles on the history of Newbridge, and reviews of places and events in Newbridge. 

A zine isn't really about _world_ domination, it dominates on the level of maybe a couple people at a time.  And would it be redundant if we all just invested more in updating the Fotpedia?

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
maybe people could assist non best show fans in 'passing on' in fot-tastic ways (hoagie assault, barging, something in a dungeon?) and for everyone who does 'pass on' you could win points, and then you could use those points to win prizes.  these prizes could then be donated to the united way or catholic relief fund or something like that, but you would donate them in the best shows name!  which would be good press!
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

lemke

• Policemans heel
I hate the idea of spoon-feeding the show to people.  I think everyone should have to go through the early period of confusion that gradually blossoms into understanding and appreciation, followed by compulsive immersion in the archives.
exactly.
---------
Zoopaced.mp3:
http://tinyurl.com/69kh37

"Animals Tour" -  :-\

Josh

• Space Champion!
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
I hate the idea of spoon-feeding the show to people.  I think everyone should have to go through the early period of confusion that gradually blossoms into understanding and appreciation, followed by compulsive immersion in the archives.

Zoopaced.mp3:
http://tinyurl.com/69kh37

Best Show quality at Morning Zoo pace. A potent brew.

I am torn. On the one hand, Sarah has a darn good point. It was the pacing that pulled me into the Best Show orbit in the first place. But on the other hand, Lemke's clip had me laughing like a braying donkey.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling