Author Topic: Am I making a huge mistake?  (Read 4981 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Am I making a huge mistake?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »
You should put The Singing Detective in your queue. 

P.S. Typing "queue" is fun.

Yes, but the BBC miniseries, not the movie.  And I also second Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 10:05:55 PM »
ONCE is my favourite film of the year.
Ergot, it's not a mistake.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
It's good.  I probably wouldn't choose to listen to the songs outside the context of the film, but they are integral to the film and good enough to engage the audience, yet not so good as to seem implausibly written by these characters.  There are some cliched moments (the first scene with the producer, for one), but otherwise it's quite realistic. 

bruce

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »
It's good.  I probably wouldn't choose to listen to the songs outside the context of the film, but they are integral to the film and good enough to engage the audience
Actually saw them when they toured right before Thanksgiving and it was a great show and so much cheaper then the other concert I was going to see at the same place.

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »
I saw this last night and really liked it. Nobody cared about it here when it was first released, possibly because of Glen Hansard... but people are getting interested now that it's done so well in America. Very Lost In Translation.

I was always curious to see how they fit the songs in, without them just breaking into song, so that was cool too.
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

kray

• Policemans heel
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
You should put The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in your queue.

laurie is spot on. the songs on once are shit. sounds like a bad Damien rice knockoff.

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »

laurie is spot on. the songs on once are shit. sounds like a bad Damien rice knockoff.

I won't defend them, but I'll say that Glen Hansard has being doing his thing here since 1990 or something, and is good friends with and most likely a big influence on Damien Rice. So it's the other way around!
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
I'm not big on Damien Rice, and I think that the songs in this movie DO sound  a bit like his, but I also think that the dude rocks a little harder. I like the moments when he's just singing by himself more than the duet ballads. Overall, though, I would say that the songs fit in perfectly with the movie, and I loved it as a whole. I don't think I would buy the soundtrack and listen to them, but they work well in the context of the film. Overall I thought it was a wonderful movie, and I've been recommending it to everybody. It's kind of feel good, even though I cried a lot.

Also, in reference to that Umbrellas of Cherbourg recommendation--that's one of my favorite movies ever. I'm not sure if that  recommendation was in discouragement of Once, though.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 09:33:46 PM »

I couldn't disagree with this more. I am part of a movie group that watches a film every Wednesday night. Six people showed up to watch Once; everybody loved it, and the next week two of the six had purchased the soundtrack.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
I couldn't disagree with this more. I am part of a movie group that watches a film every Wednesday night. Six people showed up to watch Once; everybody loved it, and the next week two of the six had purchased the soundtrack.

dave, thats awesome you have a movie group.

p.s. im hesitant to see ONCE because my brother has awful (i mean, AWFUL) taste in movies/music/hates to read, etc. and he loved this movie.  granted, the word awful has a relative definition in this case- nonetheless, its hardened my reluctance to add this movie to my own netflix queue.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »
I started watching it and got bored. Does the whole movie consists of those two singing sappy love songs that somehow sound perfect the first time they play together? We're supposed to believe good music (if you can call it that) takes little work? Ridiculous. Maybe I should watch the rest of the movie but I thought the premise was pretty laughable.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
Gilly, you've obviously never met a musician as talented as me. I make Louie Louie sound good the first time with everyone I meet.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 12:08:33 AM »
Gilly, you've obviously never met a musician as talented as me. I make Louie Louie sound good the first time with everyone I meet.

I think your new user name should be Frank Viola.