Author Topic: Any good M3u converters so I can listen to the show on my Ipod?  (Read 9183 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
I was using the m3u ripper on the old Firefox but the new Firefox doesn't have it, thanks who ever suggested that the last time hopefully they will add it back in near the future. I tried using that Switch converter but couldn't get it to recognize the file.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Any good M3u converters so I can listen to the show on my Ipod?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
Hopefully it's okay if I post this- this is generally the method I use.

Download the playlist file (m3u/ram) and save it to wherever. Open it in a text editor, and you'll see the direct link to the file. If it's a mp3, you can download it normally in Firefox, or if it's a .rm file you can use a program called FlashGet. If it's a .rm, use the program SUPER (it's free- I use it to convert everything) to convert it to a mp3.

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:51:46 AM »
The SUPER program is one awesome piece of software. A little buggy, but for something that can convert any media file to any other media file, I'll take it.

Jimmy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:20:37 PM »
Have any programs that work on Macs?

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »
Hopefully it's okay if I post this- this is generally the method I use.

Download the playlist file (m3u/ram) and save it to wherever. Open it in a text editor, and you'll see the direct link to the file. If it's a mp3, you can download it normally in Firefox, or if it's a .rm file you can use a program called FlashGet. If it's a .rm, use the program SUPER (it's free- I use it to convert everything) to convert it to a mp3.

Ive never messed with Text Editors before. Does Windows XP have a text editor if not whats a good one I can download.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
Just any program that makes text- Notepad, Wordpad, etc. They're on any Windows system.

The SUPER program is one awesome piece of software. A little buggy, but for something that can convert any media file to any other media file, I'll take it.
I've pretty much decided to get a MacBook- SUPER is the one thing I'm really going to miss. Speaking of which, I second the request for a Mac program.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
The best free Windows text editor is notepad++ (that I know of), but Notepad works.  (The best non-free Mac text editor or text editor on any platform is easily Textmate.)

On the Mac, you can use ffmpegX to convert from .rm in faster than realtime (without having to rip an audio stream) without the command line.  It's a bit tricky, though.  Very tricky. Google it. A lot of computer tricky.  Maybe I'll write up some instructions for FOTs.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:43:48 PM »
Ok, so most audio editing and converting on the Mac is really easy, but Real's licensing makes converting from .rm a pain-- most of the programs people mention to "convert" the files are really just stream rippers/capturers of one kind or another, which means that a 3 hour show takes 3 hours to convert.  Using the method below, you can convert a 3 hour .rm in 5 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.

The reason it's so complicated to get it done is that you have to take some Real-provided binary files and use them with a Unix program called ffmpeg-- this program actually lies at the core of a lot of software, like VLC.

These instructions tell you how to install ffmpeg, and then use a front end to it called ffmpegX.  ffmpegX is a pile of crap, but it's all there is, unless you're comfortable with learning how to use ffmpeg on the command line directly.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060906153448633

Some little points:

If you have occasion to have to rename a bunch of files at once on the Mac (for some reason .rm files hang ffmpegX unless they're renamed to .rm.wav) and don't want to mess with the command line, just go ahead and turn on the Applescript menu (through Applescript Utility, which is in /Applications/Utilities).  Then use the Finder script "Replace Text in item Names" to do batch renaming-- search for .rm and replace with .rm.wav.  And you can use a program called "Quick Batcher" to batch a bunch of files through ffmpegX.

Luckily, it's only converting Real files that is a pain on the Mac, and WFMU is about the only place I know that still seriously relies on them.  flip4mac and something called Perian together make Quicktime (and thus, Safari) able to read any format under the sun-- and of course you can always use VLC.  Also, the Real Player on OS X is actually pretty nice.  It uses dumb non-standard widgets and so forth, but it's not bogged down with ads and obsessed with getting you to fork out cash for a non-crippled version.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
Thanks. Most of my experience with ffmpeg involves making its process priority as low as possible in an attempt to use any other program while something's converting, but I'm okay if I have directions to follow.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
Thanks. Most of my experience with ffmpeg involves making its process priority as low as possible in an attempt to use any other program while something's converting, but I'm okay if I have directions to follow.

Ok so my Windows had Notepad and I saved the M3u file to my desktop and then opened it with Notepad. It showed the direct link to the mp3. I tried copying and pasting the link in Firefox and all it did was just open it in Firefox and play it with Quicktime. What do I need to do to download the link in Firefox?

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:03:39 AM »
The simplest way would be to do what you did before, then click on File -> Save Page As.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
jeez
you mac people

well, at least ur computer LOOKS pretty

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 09:15:35 AM »
Seriously, I've been having to bring my Macbook to work about once a week just to do the kinds of office-related stuff that windows is supposed to be good at, like instantly and intelligently indexing the contents of a bunch of files, editing PDFs, etc. It's amazing shitty XP is-- even tweaked out with Google desktop, it's like using a flint knife.  About a dozen extensions have to launch just for stuff like screen-sharing and backup.  I guess if you're billing your time, Windows is good for the bottom line. Meanwhile, I recently wrote a 40 page article that in part praises Vista's security model, so I guess Microsoft is very slowly coming along. 

It's actually amazing how shitty people in general are at computers in an office/professional environment.  I'm working at a law firm this summer, and I recently saved someone about a week's worth of unbillable work by pointing out that a particular spreadsheet could be easily generated from some pre-existing data.  Or people will ask me to find something online for them, because they can't construct a google search.   They'd rather have the librarian compile and forward some emails to them every day, instead of learning how to use an RSS reader.  There's this residual aversion to "secretarial" work which is totally out of place in 2008.  I'll never understand the point of pride some people have in asking other people to do this stuff for them, when it would save *them* time in the end to just learn it themselves.  It's time for a new Taylorism!

Jimmy

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
I followed the instructions on the linked page that was provided by yesno, but I didn't realize until after I tried it that it was for converting already downloaded programs.  So how do you download the program?  I know how to download the link to the program but that isn't the same thing.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
I followed the instructions on the linked page that was provided by yesno, but I didn't realize until after I tried it that it was for converting already downloaded programs.  So how do you download the program?  I know how to download the link to the program but that isn't the same thing.
Do the same thing as the first part of my first post in this thread.