Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards  (Read 40493 times)

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
Justice.  Right.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »
Oh dear Jesus.

Now I officially can't get my mind around this any further. But I WILL see it.

Ditto on that first part. Plus: Samm Levine just got cast. So we've got:

Brad Pitt
Mike Myers
BJ Novak
Simon Pegg
Eli Roth
Samm Levine

???

I really don't see why he's casting so many actors that primarily do comedy for a war movie. I know Eli Roth is one of Tarantino's lame Hollywood friends but the fact that he's casted for a role with a name (Sgt. Donnie Donowitz) makes me fear that he's got a fairly big part.

The worst part about Myers being in this is that his character is British. I wouldn't be surprised if he just uses the bad Austin Powers accent.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
"Sgt. Donnie Donowitz"

I don't want to see this movie purely on account of this terrible name. Really, QT? Are you really sure that name is war-movie-ish enough there?

Sgt. Donnie Donowitz......Sgt Donnie Donowitz!
I'm warning you with peace and love.

ben

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
simon pegg would make it awesome.  or at least simon pegg is awesome enough that if he was in it, i would see it in theatres for sure. 

is bj novak some secret great actor?  i have no problem with the guy and the office is fine but i don't get that, why on some websites people see that as being cool, his possible placement.  he's not a has been, could be a not yet, but doubt it. 

if tarantino is trying to use people in films who aren't already popular or tired hacks, than at least that's a step for him.  (bj novak though?  kinda hope he'll be revelatory now)
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »
Profile in the Atlantic.

“I hate that hand-wringing shit,” he said. He had a revelation in his early 20s, he recalled, when he saw Red Dawn, a Cold War revenge fantasy in which a group of American high-school students, the “Wolverines,” battle Soviet and Central American soldiers who invade Colorado. “The Wolverines capture a soldier, and there’s a little bit of back-and-forth—should we kill him or not—and C. Thomas Howell just blows him away with his shotgun,” Tarantino recalled. “Those are the kind of things you say, ‘That’s exactly what I would do.’ It’s what I want to see, and when I don’t see it, I become frustrated, and then it feels like a movie as opposed to real life.”

He went on, “When you watch all the different Nazi movies, all the TV movies, it’s sad, but isn’t it also frustrating? Did everybody walk into the boxcar? Didn’t somebody do something?”

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
Profile in the Atlantic.

“I hate that hand-wringing shit,” he said. He had a revelation in his early 20s, he recalled, when he saw Red Dawn, a Cold War revenge fantasy in which a group of American high-school students, the “Wolverines,” battle Soviet and Central American soldiers who invade Colorado. “The Wolverines capture a soldier, and there’s a little bit of back-and-forth—should we kill him or not—and C. Thomas Howell just blows him away with his shotgun,” Tarantino recalled. “Those are the kind of things you say, ‘That’s exactly what I would do.’ It’s what I want to see, and when I don’t see it, I become frustrated, and then it feels like a movie as opposed to real life.”

He went on, “When you watch all the different Nazi movies, all the TV movies, it’s sad, but isn’t it also frustrating? Did everybody walk into the boxcar? Didn’t somebody do something?”

Further proof that QT belongs in a mental institution.  

J-Wells on IB.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
Oh dear Jesus.

Now I officially can't get my mind around this any further. But I WILL see it.

Ditto on that first part. Plus: Samm Levine just got cast. So we've got:

Brad Pitt
Mike Myers
BJ Novak
Simon Pegg
Eli Roth
Samm Levine

???

I really don't see why he's casting so many actors that primarily do comedy for a war movie. I know Eli Roth is one of Tarantino's lame Hollywood friends but the fact that he's casted for a role with a name (Sgt. Donnie Donowitz) makes me fear that he's got a fairly big part.

The worst part about Myers being in this is that his character is British. I wouldn't be surprised if he just uses the bad Austin Powers accent.

I don't think so.  I've read a couple of in-depth interviews with Mike Myers and his parents are anglos, so I'm sure he's got a rich background of voices and accents to draw from.  P.S. I am not a Myers fan, just saying.  
veni dixie vici

Pat K

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »
That's a good piece from the Atlantic. I like the author's little dialogue with QT about torture. That man is just not a deep thinker.

What seems so icky to me about Basterds is the air of condescension it gives off. Like if some white filmmaker made a movie where Martin Luther King beats the shit out of James Earl Ray and then was all like "There, don't all you poor blacks feel so much better now? You're welcome!" 

Spoony

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
is bj novak some secret great actor?  i have no problem with the guy and the office is fine but i don't get that, why on some websites people see that as being cool, his possible placement.  he's not a has been, could be a not yet, but doubt it. 

I think he produces a lot of things, which makes him a little bit more of a Man About Town.

He looks like a 10 year old in everything he does. I buy into him completely as a cold-blooded killer.

orangewhip

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »
This movie looks like 100% fun.  Just remember Rule #28-It's always okay to kill Nazis.
"My week beats your year." -- Lou Reed. Liner notes to Metal Machine Music

Pat K

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »
This movie looks like 100% fun.  Just remember Rule #28-It's always okay to kill Nazis.

Speaking of, did that movie about the zombie Nazis come out yet?

Spoony

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »

Speaking of, did that movie about the zombie Nazis come out yet?

Yes. A couple of months ago.

Spoony

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
I can't believe it wasn't welcomed with fanfare and a ton of press!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
I haven't seen it (Dead Snow) but from what I hear it's pretty bad (bad-bad, not funny-bad) and, oddly disappointing on the nazi zombie front.

AndrewVDill

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
I haven't seen it (Dead Snow) but from what I hear it's pretty bad (bad-bad, not funny-bad) and, oddly disappointing on the nazi zombie front.

My roommate had it on when I came home once.  I watched for a little bit, but lost interest pretty quickly.  It's one of those things that exists better as a concept.
You'll like it in hell; it's a lot like New Jersey.