Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022862 times)

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #1095 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »
I am 14 hours into the 2 hour Animal Collective concert that ran on NPR about a month back; so far every minute of it has sounded like the background sound effects on the episode of the Star Trek episode when Spock got horny.

Listening to Animal Collective is akin to what Dock Ellis must have felt like while he was pitching that no-hitter on LSD.

That analogy doesn't make any sense, does it?

Makes total sense to me. Animal Collective gives me a "I see three catcher's mitts" feeling. I've heard like one Animal Collective 'song' that was okay. Everything else is just not for me.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1096 on: June 02, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
Norah Jones. I saw it at the library and had to give it a shot. I don't like 'thank kind' of music but it's pretty good.

Chad from Oregon

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1097 on: June 02, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »
Iggy Pop's Brick By Brick' album...

...and during the song, "Butt Town", all I could think about was The Mike Show for those three minutes.
I've got 99 problems but a FOT ain't one.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1098 on: June 02, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »
I work for a company that builds those annoying automated agents that you deal with when you call a company (you know, the ones where you scream "AGENT" to talk to a person). My job is to make them easier to use. I direct the voice talents, write the prompts, etc.

Right now, I am listening to recordings of people calling into one of our applications.  There is definitely some colorful turlet talk.

One of the more infamous call recordings: Our automated agent helps this guy get his cable TV working again. "She" asks at the end of the call, "Now did that solve the problem?"  The guy responded by saying: "Hmm! Thanks robot bitch!"
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
That's hilarious! I like the "hmm" part.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1100 on: June 02, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »

Streaming on NPR. It's pretty good. Dave Longstreth's voice is a bit grating, though.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

scratchbomb

« Reply #1101 on: June 02, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
I work for a company that builds those annoying automated agents that you deal with when you call a company (you know, the ones where you scream "AGENT" to talk to a person). My job is to make them easier to use. I direct the voice talents, write the prompts, etc.

Right now, I am listening to recordings of people calling into one of our applications.  There is definitely some colorful turlet talk.

One of the more infamous call recordings: Our automated agent helps this guy get his cable TV working again. "She" asks at the end of the call, "Now did that solve the problem?"  The guy responded by saying: "Hmm! Thanks robot bitch!"

That's hysterical. I would pay very good money for a collection of such audio.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1102 on: June 02, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
I just got done listening to the Acoustmatic Radio Hour.

I never remember it's on Sundays.

Nice job Grote.

Thanks, Fredericks.  Keep listening!

Agreeing with Scratchbomb, I too would love this.  If there are any FCC-friendly tracks, it would make for a good found audio radio play hour, along with some of Paul Stanley's stage banter and some other odds and ends I've been collecting.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1103 on: June 02, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
Hoagiefest '09

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1104 on: June 02, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »

Streaming on NPR. It's pretty good. Dave Longstreth's voice is a bit grating, though.

Who are they?

Which one's Dave?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1105 on: June 02, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
The album is Bitte Orca by the band Dirty Projectors. Dave Longstreth is the band's lead singer and the two girls on the cover are two members of the band. They "reinterpreted" Damaged by Black Flag a few years ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyihN5qoTWI[/youtube]

Here's a sample.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1106 on: June 02, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »
"Mausoleum" by the Tokeleys. I don't know how many times I've listened to it in the last two days. This song is Top Shelf.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1107 on: June 02, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »

Agreeing with Scratchbomb, I too would love this.  If there are any FCC-friendly tracks, it would make for a good found audio radio play hour, along with some of Paul Stanley's stage banter and some other odds and ends I've been collecting.

I will check with the "powers that be" about sharing some of this stuff. There are definitely some juicy tidbots.  "Tidbots" was a typo but I decided to keep it in because it seems apropos.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

scratchbomb

« Reply #1108 on: June 03, 2009, 10:46:24 AM »
The album is Bitte Orca by the band Dirty Projectors. Dave Longstreth is the band's lead singer and the two girls on the cover are two members of the band. They "reinterpreted" Damaged by Black Flag a few years ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyihN5qoTWI[/youtube]

Here's a sample.

I'd never heard that before. That's pretty awesome.

As for me, I'm home with a sick baby and hearing a Barney DVD, and wishing I was deaf.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #1109 on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
I'm on song number 72 ("A Rush and a Push...") of 215 of a Smiths/Morrissey marathon. This was prompted by my daughter who wanted to hear some Mo-Mo as he is know to her. She is 20 months old - don't judge.
"Dad gets mad."