Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022943 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #1635 on: August 20, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
In honor of Rashied Ali:

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Creekmore_Banks

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1636 on: August 21, 2009, 10:07:48 AM »

First listen to this one and I'm liking it a lot.

Plus I just found out they're playing on the Jay Reatard/NoBunny show I'm going to next month.

They're a blast live. I have been listening to Alice and Friends and Lemons by Ty Segall almost non-stop for the last few weeks. Gonerfest!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1637 on: August 21, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »

First listen to this one and I'm liking it a lot.

Plus I just found out they're playing on the Jay Reatard/NoBunny show I'm going to next month.

They're a blast live. I have been listening to Alice and Friends and Lemons by Ty Segall almost non-stop for the last few weeks. Gonerfest!

Goner6fest, indeed.  it's a shame The Clean had to cancel; despite that, i love this year's lineup. 

Creekmore_Banks

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1638 on: August 21, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
Goner6fest, indeed.  it's a shame The Clean had to cancel; despite that, i love this year's lineup.  

Yeah, I was disappointed about The Clean cancellation. I listened to their Anthology with bated breath until their US cancellations. I think Golden Triangle also backed out (saw them a few times with King Khan and the Shrines--they were a lot of fun). I think CoCoComa are filling for them, so that's nothing to complain about.

It is a killer lineup. I am extremely excited about seeing at least 2 bands each day. I saw Davila 666 at the Hi Tone a couple weeks ago--wow, they were a bundle of energy. I was also lucky enough to see the Compulsive Gamblers last weekend at the Antenna Club reunion and they were great as expected. Magic Kids and Useless Eaters are two excellent Memphis bands. I haven't seen Thee Oh Sees before and somehow, I've never been to a Reatards show. I have heard a lot of good things about Sonic Chicken 4 as well. In conclusion, Gonerfest!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1639 on: August 21, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
i was crushed i couldnt go to the antenna reunion!  i dont even want to think about it.  memphis in the 90s gave plenty of good music to the world and its still going strong- memphis muscle. 

creekmore_banks, are you in memphis?

Creekmore_Banks

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1640 on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:20 PM »
i was crushed i couldnt go to the antenna reunion!  i dont even want to think about it.  memphis in the 90s gave plenty of good music to the world and its still going strong- memphis muscle. 

Yes. Yes, I am. As a matter of fact, my name here is stolen from one of the Earles/Jensen characters.

Technically, I am separated most of the day by the Mississippi River about 10 minutes away in WM, but all of my time away from the apartment/work is spent in Memphis. I'm a self-identified Memphis resident. God bless Memphis--publicly humiliated on a weekly basis, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I think Eric O put it best in an interview from several years ago when someone asked him what Memphis was like:

"Memphis is Memphis. It's fucked up and great, and fucked up and terrible. It's dirty water and soul. High crime and great gangsta rap. Fried chicken and the best barbecue ribs & sandwiches (pork, not beef) in the world. Sometimes I gotta get out, sometimes I can't believe I'm lucky to be here. The river, the music, the food. The heat."

Indeed.

I didn't realize there was a fellow FOT in Memphis---I think I remember hearing that Tom came to Gonerfest a few years ago. I heard him plug the fundraiser for Zac's daughter a few months ago. The fellow from Knoxville calls in pretty regularly, but I don't remember any Memphis calls lately.

As for the Antenna reunion, it was pretty much as much fun as you imagined. Sorry.

30-something days until Gonerfest. Huzzah!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1641 on: August 21, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »

Yes. Yes, I am. As a matter of fact, my name here is stolen from one of the Earles/Jensen characters.

Technically, I am separated most of the day by the Mississippi River about 10 minutes away in WM, but all of my time away from the apartment/work is spent in Memphis. I'm a self-identified Memphis resident. God bless Memphis--publicly humiliated on a weekly basis, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I think Eric O put it best in an interview from several years ago when someone asked him what Memphis was like:

"Memphis is Memphis. It's fucked up and great, and fucked up and terrible. It's dirty water and soul. High crime and great gangsta rap. Fried chicken and the best barbecue ribs & sandwiches (pork, not beef) in the world. Sometimes I gotta get out, sometimes I can't believe I'm lucky to be here. The river, the music, the food. The heat."

Indeed.

I didn't realize there was a fellow FOT in Memphis---I think I remember hearing that Tom came to Gonerfest a few years ago. I heard him plug the fundraiser for Zac's daughter a few months ago. The fellow from Knoxville calls in pretty regularly, but I don't remember any Memphis calls lately.

As for the Antenna reunion, it was pretty much as much fun as you imagined. Sorry.

30-something days until Gonerfest. Huzzah!

the two jakes from Jump Back Jake are on the board, but i dont think theyve ever called in.  we're out there. 

of course, Eric O is right.  Jay Reatard i think tops off that description very well by describing Memphis as a vortex- youre always broke, youre always down, but you stick it out because theres nowhere else like it.  (more or less what he said- i cant find the video to properly quote him)

but here's another video that begins on an interesting note about memphis:

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/episode/81-jay-reatard

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1642 on: August 22, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »

Their best, IMO.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1643 on: August 23, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1644 on: August 23, 2009, 07:42:07 AM »

Yaaassss. I think I like this one better than Trout Mask.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1645 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »

I heartily agree.

I see the cover and now I am ready to "follow the yellow brick road".
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1646 on: August 23, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
I'm not actually listening to it since I don't own it, but thanks to the old-timey crooner at the wedding I attended last night, I have Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea" playing on a loop in my head.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1647 on: August 23, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »

A lot of stuff on Trout's too weird for me. This one's a lot of fun to listen to all the way through. How good is Abba Zabba!
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1648 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »
Lick My Decals Off, Baby>Safe As Milk>Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller>Ice Cream for Crow>>>>>>>>Trout Mask Replica

I like Captain Beefheart, but I cannot stand Trout Mask Replica.

Listening to:

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1649 on: August 23, 2009, 02:57:45 PM »

I like Captain Beefheart, but I cannot stand Trout Mask Replica.

What's the deal w/the Trout Mask accolades, then? I can't figure it out. Did some critic go nuts for it? I can't imagine this got tons of radio play.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?