Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1032763 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #3060 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
If he was hating on Al Green, I concur.  That is crazy.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3061 on: November 18, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »
I actually thought punk rock was supposed to get rid of overblown monsters like Led Zeppelin and Queen, but I guess we all have our own interpretation of punk rock.

No, it was Emerson Lake and Palmer. They were dinosaurs.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3062 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
I never like hearing that bands like Black Flag replaced anything.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3063 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Oh yeah - on one of the early, early archived  shows, Tom takes NRBQ apart; IIRC, he claims that NRBQ traffics in the kind of pre-punk "boogie" that punk rock was supposed to get rid of.

What did he mean by pre-punk "boogie"? What bands specifically would fall under that category?
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3064 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
I thought they were supposed to replace Steely Dan, although I like Steely Dan.

I need to look into what this 'boogie' thing is myself. Not familiar with NRBQ at all, beyond the fact that they exist and it stands for 'New Rhythm and Blues Quartet' and one of them was named Steve Forbert.

snacoman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3065 on: November 18, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Oh yeah - on one of the early, early archived  shows, Tom takes NRBQ apart; IIRC, he claims that NRBQ traffics in the kind of pre-punk "boogie" that punk rock was supposed to get rid of.

What did he mean by pre-punk "boogie"? What bands specifically would fall under that category?

I'm just taking a wild guess here,  maybe the Doobie Brothers?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3066 on: November 18, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »

Canned Heat
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3067 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »

Well jeez guys, I was paraphrasing. I'm now listening to the episode in question...The April 17, 2001 episode has Tom's opinion on this NRBQ stuff: "Crummy bar-band music....The worst rooty-toot toot music...." ...Tom compares the "rock and roll" of The Ramones to the "rock and roll" of NRBQ; Tom says the reason why the Ramones' rock and roll was superior is that "the Ramones didn't have any BOOGIE in them....The worst band in history." Keep in mind that Tom takes Al Green to task in this same episode.

Okay, so my memory of this episode - last heard about 9 months ago - was not exact, but I THINK that was the point Tom was trying to get across: that the punk bands who tried to recapture the fun and energy of 50s/early 60s rock didn't use "boogie" in their sound: i.e. no one played any shuffles, no I-IV-V chord progressions (for the most part) or walking bass lines (to be reductionist about it). To many rock critics and punk fans, yes, many think of rock history in pre-punk and post-punk terms, and I guess I thought Tom's thoughts on NRBQ succinctly summed up this point without having to say it out loud. Tom never says anyone was "replacing" anything; those were my words based on the hazy memory of this show. But....Add this episode to the Kid Ebay discussion of pub rock, and I think we can guess Tom's feelings about those kind of musical features that define pre-punk rock (not talking specifically prog like Emerson Lake and Palmer, but that too - talking about bland mainstream rock in the mid-70s) and the stuff that came after. Sure, Led Zeppelin had some "boogie" in them (i.e. "Boogie With Stu," but...)

That's my interpretation, and I may be being presumptuous, and sorry if I was, but yeah, okay.

As for what bands would qualify as "Boogie," I would guess early Doobies, Status Quo, Canned Heat, some Ten Years After, Dave Edmunds, Little Feat, uh....I guess all those mid-70s bands who were still doing Chuck Berry riffs in a "tasteful" way, unlike, say, the New York Dolls, who were far less reverent about it. Uh...I dunno. (shrug) Didn't think that post was gonna cause such a brouhaha.
LN5OG

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3068 on: November 18, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
Let's Wiki it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Rock

This Wikipedia article on "Boogie Rock" mentions Canned Heat, ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Status Quo, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, Foghat, and Engine.  (Engine?)  But Tom likes ZZ Top.  But then almost nobody's theories about what makes music good match up with their actual tastes exactly.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3069 on: November 18, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
Let's Wiki it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogie_Rock

This Wikipedia article on "Boogie Rock" mentions Canned Heat, ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Status Quo, Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, Foghat, and Engine.  (Engine?)  But Tom likes ZZ Top.  But then almost nobody's theories about what makes music good match up with their actual tastes exactly.

Also, if you hear the episode, Tom does a little imitation of the kind of "boogie rock" riff that he doesn't like...and that NRBQ plays all the time.
LN5OG

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3070 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Chic.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3071 on: November 19, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
I don't really consider myself a boogie-rock fan, but I like almost every band in cavorting with nudist's list.

I don't think I've ever heard an NRBQ song, though.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3072 on: November 19, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Definition of music hipster: Person who doesn't like Humble Pie or The Allman Brothers Band. Thier live albums from the Fillmore are both incredible.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3073 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:44 AM »
Definition of music hipster: Person who doesn't like Humble Pie or The Allman Brothers Band. Thier live albums from the Fillmore are both incredible.
Oh my.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3074 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
I don't think I've ever heard an NRBQ song, though.

Two songs that stand out to me on this album:

NRBQ - It Feels Good

N. R. B. Q. - THINGS TO YOU

Also "Beverly" on Tiddly Winks is outstanding.