Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022919 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »
"Long Haired Lady," by Paul & Linda McCartney, which reminds me of The Best Show where the "love is long" chorus skipped for what seemed like forever.  Which in turn reminds me of the night I spent in a seedy Econo-Lodge by the PDX airport, in a room where I am sure at least one person had been murdered, listening to The Best Show on my Zune in a (largely successful) attempt to ward off mortal terror.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Tim K in DC

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
"Dance This Mess Around" by the B-52s. I put the first album on when FMU started cutting out.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
"Long Haired Lady," by Paul & Linda McCartney, which reminds me of The Best Show where the "love is long" chorus skipped for what seemed like forever.  Which in turn reminds me of the night I spent in a seedy Econo-Lodge by the PDX airport, in a room where I am sure at least one person had been murdered, listening to The Best Show on my Zune in a (largely successful) attempt to ward off mortal terror.

The one on Van Buren? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Although a prostitution bust is even more likely.

edit: Also, I'm listening to Wale's Seinfeld mixtape.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #303 on: August 09, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »
Zouzou-"Demain (Alternative Mix)"

Petey

« Reply #304 on: August 09, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
that daptones records compilation totep posted on here in May. It is really good. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #305 on: August 09, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. After years of not really getting all the hoopla surrounding this album, all of a sudden it clicked into place for me and now I'm borderline obsessed with it.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #306 on: August 09, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. After years of not really getting all the hoopla surrounding this album, all of a sudden it clicked into place for me and now I'm borderline obsessed with it.

I had a similar experience with My Bloody Valentine. Lots of my "friends" (I say "friends" because most of them were not such nice people, but for some reason, I hung out with them) in high school were what might be called "shoegazers" and they loved that album.  I never got it.  It wasn't until my freshman year of college that I was riding with friends in a car on some Connecticut back roads (there may or may not have been a "crippler" involved-ahem) and I looked out at the afternoon sun and realized "holy crap, this is so beautiful." I spent months obsessed with that album after that. It just clicked one day.

<<<<<

« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »
My Bloody Valentine is the Joy Division of Generation X.

(I didn't care for it at first either.  The real reasoning for this was:  I was wrong.)

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2008, 03:23:05 AM »
Darker My Love should change their name to Darker My Bloody Loventine

Okay, so for some reason I'm listening to "Never Did No Wanderin'" from the Mighty Wind soundtrack.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
My Bloody Valentine is the Joy Division of Generation X Y.

(I didn't care for it at first either.  The real reasoning for this was:  I was wrong.)

I'm pretty sure Joy Division is the Joy Division of Generation X.  If by "Joy Division" you mean a band that everyone's always ripping off.

<<<<<

« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2008, 04:27:18 AM »
I'm thinking that next decade ripping off MBV will probably come (back) in to fashion.

What with the two decades back "retro" cycle and all.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2008, 04:55:44 AM »
Okay, so for some reason I'm listening to "Never Did No Wanderin'" from the Mighty Wind soundtrack.

Folksmen or New Main Street Singers? I need an answer, pronto.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »

I had a similar experience with My Bloody Valentine.
Ditto (tritto?).

The one on Van Buren? Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Although a prostitution bust is even more likely.

I don't remember where it was, but that sounds about right.  I'm sure that plenty of gross debauchery took place in that room, but it was the potential for mortal danger that really concerned me.  It was the sort of room where you feel like Anton Chigurh is about to bust in any second (and No Country for Old Men hadn't even come out yet).

And, in keeping with the theme: The Jesus & Mary Chain, "April Skies."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »
vashti bunyan turned ted leo while reading an article on My Bloody Valentine. 

it happens.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
The Great Plains, "Alfalfa Omega."