Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823978 times)

dicebourbon

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11130 on: March 26, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »

It blew my mind to find out Lisa Jane Persky co-starred in the most memorable episode (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511123/) of Amazing Stories, which I hadn't seen since it aired when I was 6. Co-written by Brad Bird!

I don't know if they mentioned it but LJP was also in studio the last time Karl was! http://karlsmagazines.blogspot.com/

BleephouseRat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11131 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
i never expected to hear from Karl again. so exciting. his episode with Sanjaya was one of the first Best Shows i heard when i was still a new and confused listener, and i remember enjoying the rapport Tom managed to have with this annoying and obtrusive repair guy. that episode holds a special place in my heart. i was excited just to see his name on the podcast description.

also great: Gary emphasizing the "dl" in Squirreldlday Night Live. Gary seems to have picked up a certain Newbridgian fondness for awkward pronunciations.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11132 on: March 26, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
It was fun hearing JW briefly playing the straight man to Gary.

This was by far my favorite Gary appearance, I think because Carl was the best straight man he ever had by a long shot.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

around the bend

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11133 on: March 26, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »
The Best show bump!  I subscribed for a year.  Good job Ghetto Blaster Magazine!

Gotta admit, another highlight for me was Tom giving a little plug for the cover article in Ghettoblaster Magazine (which I wrote). It was exciting enough to actually interview him and write about the show, but for him to mention it was pretty awesome.

I purchased this magazine at Barnes and Nobles -- nice work!

josh c

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11134 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
"Is that a man purse or a nut you're holding?"

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11135 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
The Best show bump!  I subscribed for a year.  Good job Ghetto Blaster Magazine!

Gotta admit, another highlight for me was Tom giving a little plug for the cover article in Ghettoblaster Magazine (which I wrote). It was exciting enough to actually interview him and write about the show, but for him to mention it was pretty awesome.

I purchased this magazine at Barnes and Nobles -- nice work!

Excellent! Thanks!
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11136 on: March 26, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
Just for the record, I noticed that the iTunes description for this episode refers to Karl with K. Carl with a C is the technician from Newbridge Audio who worked on Tom's soundboard and chatted with Sanjaya on 9/8/2009. The following week his twin brother, Karl, called the show. He revealed that their parents are Carl and Kharl (it's Swiss).

The WFMU archive page also incorrectly refers to "Karl" in the 9/8/2009 show description. Sick stuff!

"Andy Warhol.  Surprisingly strong running back." - Karl, 9/15/2009
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11137 on: March 26, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
Just for the record, I noticed that the iTunes description for this episode refers to Karl with K. Carl with a C is the technician from Newbridge Audio who worked on Tom's soundboard and chatted with Sanjaya on 9/8/2009. The following week his twin brother, Karl, called the show. He revealed that their parents are Carl and Kharl (it's Swiss).

The WFMU archive page also incorrectly refers to "Karl" in the 9/8/2009 show description. Sick stuff!

I noticed that as well. Interestingly enough, the spelling is correct on the "Gems" archive page. The only reason I know that is because I just happened to listen to that "Gem" on Monday.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

JRSly

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11138 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:59 PM »

I went back and forth a tiny bit, but decided it was wrong and it's gonna be Carl for my collection. They aren't infallible, after all...they refer to Augie Meyers as the owner of Ye Olde Burger Barn in the epic call from the future for the 500th show.

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11139 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
This show was a pretty strong case for disconnecting the phones entirely:

- The incessant beard thing.
- The misguided song recommendations.
- Wally eating up time like a langolier.

I'd love to hear an episode without callers.

How would that work, though? That's a lot of time to fill if there's nobody to bounce things off. Multiple in-studio guests? A group of local 'supercallers' gather in the studio? Clip show?

The call-in factor is what I think makes this show and most other WFMU callin shows better than most podcasts. I love how the shows have the ability to segway from a monologue that might be losing momentum by simply saying "OK let's go to the phones."

I don't want The Best Show to stop taking calls altogether. Then it would sound just like any other podcast out there. But I WOULD like to hear just one episode without any phone calls. Or a limit. Exactly ten calls. Something like that.
More and more people seem to be calling in just to be on the air, just to be heard. That needs to change somehow. The regular caller ban was a great thing. Now a lame caller ban might be necessary.

Or just bring back the "Wise Up" singalong. That 110% justifies lame calls.
You had to wait three years, but you got it!

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11140 on: March 27, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
- The incessant beard thing.
Oh god the beard thing. *shudder*

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11141 on: March 27, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »
The episode was really great. I honestly didn't even miss the calls this time around, but that could have been because of the strength of the guests. LJP is always a delight and so were Gabe and Joe Mande. It was odd not hearing Gary run down AP Mike though.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11142 on: March 27, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
Is this Karl the same giant Karl who was Darren's boarder's boarder?

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11143 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
This whole sensory deprivation with music discussion reminds me of this bit from the old David Letterman book:

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11144 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »
Every bit of Tank Talk, a topic being on the table, the Bowling Alley Confessions this time around as well as one hell of a Bowl Company. Terre T's call was also amazing. Last night was a big W, despite all the people trying to reach the EP of The Best Show.

I'll also apologize for being one of the people for ruining the live Half Hour of Power. I've already picked out an ice floe as punishment for snitching.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!