Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2823939 times)

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11160 on: April 05, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Where does the half-hour-of-power link live?
Subscribe via iTunes or RSS. It has been posted to both (but it's not on the bestshow.net/podcast page as of right now). If you don't want iTunes or have an RSS reader I recommend Feedly, it's an online RSS reader.

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11161 on: April 06, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
The Bee Gees thing is going to end in that song actually existing in a WKRP In Cincinatti episode that was only aired once because the station went under due to FCC fines from all the times "bitch" was said. That's my prediction.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11162 on: April 08, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »
LOVED tonight's episode... it reminded me a lot of the Best Show episode (and Gem) "The Order of Everything"... I knew there was going to be a twist, which was last minute thumbs-downing from Tom on suggestions.  (I was lucky enough to get one on the list early on.)

My favorite call overall was the very first one from Julie from Cincinnati.  I was laughing really hard hearing her argue with Tom over her choices.

The only slight downer was the mild riff on the Walter Scott hashtag.  I fully realize everyone at the studio was busy all day working to get this show going, which means they missed probably all the news about Walter Scott, which came through 6pmish Eastern time or so, so I'm not disappointed in anyone... but it was a bit awkward to hear.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11163 on: April 08, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
Yeah, mackro, that was unfortunate. I didn't realize who Walter Scott was when I mentioned it. Of course, I wouldn't have made light of it if I did.
See God, Kai

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11164 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
Julie's call was amazing, as always. I was really hoping that she would eventually get through and last night was the best possible show for her to get through on. Other highlights include "Who's the DAUGHTER?!", Pip from Newbridge giggling his way through describing the Vacation scene, and Tom every once and awhile while working on the list just going "this is the dumbest list I've ever seen."
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

Greggulator

« Reply #11165 on: April 08, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
These list episodes like this are always a lot of fun. I love that there is like 10-15% seriousness to this (Chris Peterson) and the rest is ridiculous.

One of my favorite things about last night's episode is when people tossed-in seriousness but have absolutely woeful tastes they don't recognize. I think some woman called in last night to talk up Bender from Breakfast Club and hint of ridiculousness. Like, really? Has anyone over the age of 15 watched that movie and walked away really contemplating its meaning?

I'm glad that my suggestion of Roz from Night Court made the cut. Jon From Lawrenceville (who suggested Harold from Harold and the Purple Crayon) pointed out that there were multiple sassy, tough-talking, off-kilter bailiffs from Night Court that could have made this list. I wish the Sonic bros could have swung it but alas they'll just have to enjoy their 55,000 calories banana brownie boat blast fribble shake by themselves.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Crusherkc

« Reply #11166 on: April 08, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
INSTANT CLASSIC.  This was trending on Twitter all night long, I hope a lot of newbies discovered thebestshow.net last night and that of those we get some weirdos and strange-o's.  I myself missed most of the nuances of the show just trying to keep up with the message board and tweets but my fave pick came from (I think) DJ Terre T "Sy Abelman" from 'A Serious Man'.

Best moment: "Whoa you're breaking my heart Tom"... "Well, I'm also hanging up on you."
Not-so-best moment: "I don't know about a nerd who falls in love"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

myrna loy

« Reply #11167 on: April 08, 2015, 12:09:27 PM »

One of my favorite things about last night's episode is when people tossed-in seriousness but have absolutely woeful tastes they don't recognize. I think some woman called in last night to talk up Bender from Breakfast Club and hint of ridiculousness. Like, really? Has anyone over the age of 15 watched that movie and walked away really contemplating its meaning?

Speaking of Bender, Tom misheard me say Bender (from Futurama) as Becker, which is actually a funnier suggestion but I  wonder if Bender would have made the list.

mackro

« Reply #11168 on: April 08, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »
I loved the game show aspect to this episode, which was something the Order Of Everything episode didn't have... Everyone had the opportunity to add something, and everyone who was lucky enough to add something risked having their submissions booted until the very final moment.  While it was a joy and relief to get Patsy Stone on the list early on, I was sitting there hoping she wouldn't be bumped, and since she was in the lowest ranks, the risk was especially great near the end.  A nailbiter this episode!

(B_Buster: No ill feelings at all. It was just an awkward moment that came and passed.  It's pretty clear The Best Show would never be so low to purposely riff on something that horrible)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #11169 on: April 08, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Yes, OF COURSE none of us would've done anything about Walter Scott if we were up to speed on it. You know what the show is about. We were moving 100 miles an hour and names were flying everywhere.

Tom.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11170 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:30 PM »
Kinda bummed nobody said a Don Knotts character.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11171 on: April 09, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
Favorite moment was when the caller who suggested President Camacho from Idiocracy steered the conversation to the Adam Sandler movie, Click. When Tom said he hadn't seen it, the guy was like, "You should check it out and get back to me."

My own suggestion for the top 100 would have been Garth Brooks' alter-ego, Chris Gaines.

Mike Desert

« Reply #11172 on: April 09, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »
I enjoy hearing Paul Scheer calls.  the call about Pirhana 3D was one of my favorite WFMU calls.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11173 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
May I humbly suggest that the MVP of the past few months has been Terre T?  Every appearance on the Half Hour of Power, every call to the show, she's just hit it out of the park... even if she insists on standing in the way of Tom and his sweet, sweet sensory deprivation tank.

(ew)

(Hope you're feeling better, Terre!)

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11174 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »
Terre's fake crying when she is pleading with Tom absolutely kills me. She could call in every week and it still wouldn't be enough.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!