Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2900290 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11610 on: August 15, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »
I can't be the only one who thought Tom was kidding about the Gilligan's Island podcast. 

http://theacpn.com/category/gilligans-island-podcast/

fidget

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11611 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:10 AM »
All the Warriors had to do was steal a car and none of this would be happening to them.....if only they weren't so big on public transportation. - Tom

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11612 on: August 17, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »
Tom imitating TSA guy:  "'I was at Sbarro, getting an $11 slice of pizza,' That's my impression of you, no offense."

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11613 on: August 17, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
Tom imposing Women Only saved the call in portion of the show. Other highlights include Jack Black's toilet mouth, El Chapo's threat, Greggulator's instantly distancing himself away from Doctor Who lest we think he's a nerd, the mobile peeping station, The Gift being a tri-twist clinker, "You don't understand what basketball is like at all.", any and all mentions of Cradle Will Rock, "What's he gonna do with the beanie?!", and the Muppet Gangs.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11614 on: August 17, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
My favorite was the woman who called about Columbo. I don't know who she was but she was pretty funny and she voiced some of my own Columbo misgivings.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11615 on: August 19, 2015, 10:33:52 AM »
There has been this really great trend in the Wurster calls now where Tom's character is getting weirder that is really adding something to the dynamic.

AnniefromKS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11616 on: August 19, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
Last night's show was SUPER TERRIFIC! I really respect how Paul loves the institution of the Best Show and the rolls and riffs that he, Tom, and Rob would get into were so informed and funny. You can tell that they all come from good stock.

I typically use my Tuesday evenings to listen to the Best Show and dig into creative endeavors. Assembling a zine while listening to this episode, which was thoroughly entertaining and substantial from beginning to end, was a wholesome and wonderful way to spend an evening. Thanks, Tom and all who make Best Show possible (peeper-screener Mike, knob-twiddler Dudio, et al)
Head cheerleader of the Cherryhill Hill Cherries

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11617 on: August 19, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
Historical research suggests the panic was far less widespread than newspapers had indicated at the time. The panic and mass hysteria so readily associated with 'The War of the Worlds' did not occur on anything approaching a nationwide dimension", American University media historian W. Joseph Campbell wrote in 2003. He quotes Robert E. Bartholomew, an authority on mass panic outbreaks, as having said that "there is a growing consensus among sociologists that the extent of the panic … was greatly exaggerated".

This position is supported by contemporary accounts. "In the first place, most people didn't hear [the show]", said Frank Stanton, later president of CBS.

According to Campbell, the most common response said to indicate a panic was calling the local newspaper or police to confirm the story or seek additional information. This, he writes, is an indicator that people were not generally panicking or hysterical.

Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11618 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
So was my staying on the call for that long last night a record, does anyone know?  Please let me have this, I need it.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11619 on: August 19, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
Also the pitch for the peeper show was so great, especially the detail where Mike is like Angel to Tom's Jim Rockford.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11620 on: August 19, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Jesse, I'm listening to the show again on podcast- They take your call at 54:30 into the podcast.

I've been on my bike listening to your under-the-radar snort and chortlin' to the School for Scoundrels story, the Kane Hodder/Lou Ferrigno convention circuit burns, Sherman Helmsley prog rock story, the Eddie Murphy Meet Dave/Norbit part, the throw-to-Al Roker improv crap-out...and I haven't even got to the revelation that you were still on the line.  I'm at 1:20:05 right now and will post this shortly after it happens...

Okay I'm at the Edgar Awards story...(and you could be heard clearly laughing and they still don't hear you)...Okay Tom knew the whole time, Rob and Paul are amazed.  At 1:23:45.  Boom!  So about 29 mostly silent minutes.  Hope you weren't on a land line.

Favorite moment of last nights show!

Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11621 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »
Someone needs to do a George Jefferson clip collage set to Gong

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11622 on: August 20, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
Jesse, I'm listening to the show again on podcast- They take your call at 54:30 into the podcast.

I've been on my bike listening to your under-the-radar snort and chortlin' to the School for Scoundrels story, the Kane Hodder/Lou Ferrigno convention circuit burns, Sherman Helmsley prog rock story, the Eddie Murphy Meet Dave/Norbit part, the throw-to-Al Roker improv crap-out...and I haven't even got to the revelation that you were still on the line.  I'm at 1:20:05 right now and will post this shortly after it happens...

Okay I'm at the Edgar Awards story...(and you could be heard clearly laughing and they still don't hear you)...Okay Tom knew the whole time, Rob and Paul are amazed.  At 1:23:45.  Boom!  So about 29 mostly silent minutes.  Hope you weren't on a land line.

Favorite moment of last nights show!

Never let it be said that I don't know how to shut up and get out of the way when the professionals are doing their thing.  There were so many points where I wanted to interject though, I wanted to ask Huebel why John McEnroe's talk show was on his IMDB and I had a convention story too about the actress who played Ferris Bueller's mother having a booth at the local Star Trek Convention and Richard Kiel shamelessly checking out my wife's butt, but luckily I was smart enough to get out of the way of the comedy. 

Such a great show, and no, I was on my cell phone, I was so scared at a few different points that my crappy reception would end up in the call dropping, but thankfully it held. 

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11623 on: August 20, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »
Had to Google the name of the vacation rental landlord that Scheer and Heubel mentioned, and she has a 1-star review on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/alma-carpenter-oceanside

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11624 on: August 20, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
great episode, Scheer and Huebel were fantastic guests. I'm kinda glad it was mostly just a conversation with them, that topic was kind of a flame out. Was it me or did a lot of the callers seem the miss the point completely? I mean, it's supposed to be funny right, not just calling with who you'd actually like to see play Doctor Who? Have you not heard Tom make fun of the show for the last 2 months? I don't mean that as a diss, I've had a million botched calls, I just found it odd people seemed to take it seriously.

I will say, I did like the weird memetic progression of everyone suddenly needing to have one American and one British answer. I found that really funny.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.