Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824140 times)

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11715 on: October 15, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
On a related note, I'd like advice on hedge funds.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11716 on: October 15, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11717 on: October 15, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11718 on: October 15, 2015, 08:04:37 PM »

Whelp, now I know what I'm naming my Fallout 4 character.

cowboydan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11719 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
Love these guest heavy shows lately, given the sameness of most of the callers since the Best Show reboot.  Tom doing the "Garrett Brothers at Thanksgiving" and Julie writhing in pain from laughing is amazing.

Listened to Best Show Tuesday night then watched the Fargo premiere. And what do you know? A mustachioed Brad Garrett closed out the show.

cowboydan

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11720 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
FPs can get a bit dull. Option C: Supercallers. They have been scarce as of late. An injection of the likes of Spike, Fredericks, Jason from Huntsville, Julie from Cincinnati, Dave from Knoxville, Coco from the Ettes, Fred from Honolulu, etc would be fruitful. Not sure if all of these mugs are still around*, but... develop your own talent like the WCW Powerplant

Reunions don't always suck- Negative Approach, Mission of Burma, The State, Wanton Loveboy, etc. are proof. With that in mind, bring back a few classics- Petey, Maple Syrup Mussolini, Officer Tom for a brief reprise. That would be like a 2015 CM Punk run-in. The chat would pop.

Also, schtick like Coffin Talk, sound collages, lists, etc work well. More schtick.

That said, Best Show is superior without my input. Tom doesn't tell me how to manage hedge funds, why should I offer him unsolicited advice on how to entertain?

*I'm listening to the WFMU archives at work... currently in summer of 2008... the timeline gets confusing

2008 was a superior year. I'm catching up on old episodes right now too.

Tom said it recently but TBS tends to work in eras (and he can't force anyone to call in), and this is definitely a new one. Sound collages seem to be here to stay at this point, and trust me I have no problem with that.

And Fredericks is still around, but Spike has only called once, and I can't confirm but I don't think Julie or Jason have called. So, a new era begins: Best Show 2.1.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11721 on: October 16, 2015, 05:37:01 AM »
Every time I call in I get a busy signal.

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11722 on: October 16, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
FPs can get a bit dull. Option C: Supercallers. They have been scarce as of late. An injection of the likes of Spike, Fredericks, Jason from Huntsville, Julie from Cincinnati, Dave from Knoxville, Coco from the Ettes, Fred from Honolulu, etc would be fruitful. Not sure if all of these mugs are still around*, but... develop your own talent like the WCW Powerplant

Reunions don't always suck- Negative Approach, Mission of Burma, The State, Wanton Loveboy, etc. are proof. With that in mind, bring back a few classics- Petey, Maple Syrup Mussolini, Officer Tom for a brief reprise. That would be like a 2015 CM Punk run-in. The chat would pop.

Also, schtick like Coffin Talk, sound collages, lists, etc work well. More schtick.

That said, Best Show is superior without my input. Tom doesn't tell me how to manage hedge funds, why should I offer him unsolicited advice on how to entertain?

*I'm listening to the WFMU archives at work... currently in summer of 2008... the timeline gets confusing

Tom said it recently but TBS tends to work in eras (and he can't force anyone to call in), and this is definitely a new one. Sound collages seem to be here to stay at this point, and trust me I have no problem with that.

And Fredericks is still around, but Spike has only called once, and I can't confirm but I don't think Julie or Jason have called. So, a new era begins: Best Show 2.1.

I don't think Laurie from Miami has called in yet either, but she did Skype a question to Tom and Jon when they were interviewed earlier this year about the boxset (can't remember - was it for the Washington Post? NPR?...).

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11723 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »

I don't think Laurie from Miami has called in yet either, but she did Skype a question to Tom and Jon when they were interviewed earlier this year about the boxset (can't remember - was it for the Washington Post? NPR?...).

I don't think she has called in ever since Tom put a ban on the regular callers way back on the old show.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11724 on: October 17, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
as far as the "lack of supercallers" goes the show's been back less than a year, give it time, more super callers will be born. The Best Show has always been an organic evolving thing, things are always changing. Shit, remember when a week wouldn't go by with out hearing from Petey or Stevie BLue or some other long gone regular caller? Fred knocked it out of the park so immediately that it's easy to forget he only showed up in the final year of the wfmu show and beloved callers like Fredricks, Julie and Spike started out as the type of callers everyone is complaining about here every week. If none of the old great ever call in again it's not a tragedy, their real people with real lives. I've been listening to the show for over a decade and the show's as good as it's ever been and there's always new great stuff on the horizon. There's always going to be more crap callers then great callers, hell, I used to call in every week and got GOMPed 75% of the time. I guarantee some of these callers people are bitching about are going to be the next heavy hitters come this time next year.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11725 on: October 17, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
Super-Callers, random callers, FPs in studio, FPs on phone, whichever, my favorite part of the Best Show is Tom getting into a rhythm with riffing (bit of a cheesy term but you know what I mean) on a topic.  Like the Garrett family Thanksgiving from this week.  The good conversations, callers or FPs, always get to that master painter zone.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11726 on: October 17, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Im still wondering when Ted Leo and Patton are going to call in.

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11727 on: October 17, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Didn't Patton promote his new book on the show, though?

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11728 on: October 17, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
Situations in people's personal lives change. Sometimes those changes prevent them from being able to listen live and, by extension, calling during the show. Many of your favorite supercallers are still around and still fans of the show.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11729 on: October 17, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »
Didn't Patton promote his new book on the show, though?

Not that I know of.