Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2830143 times)

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11805 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:23 PM »
The Kinks' 90s Rap Metal Revue had me laughing at my desk at work today. A+++

Loved this. A good example of a Scharpling bit that doesn't quite translate when I try to explain it to someone who hasn't heard it.

fredfoster

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11806 on: December 05, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
echo chamber. come on. you can't just make fun of everything in life. tom was totally lying about not ever hearing a second of nite vale. proof is he slipped up called it by its right name rather than the hack " i don't really know the name" bit. so tired.

echo chamber. he's a bully and exactly what he makes fun of.

nice nervous tic on tv bro.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11807 on: December 05, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
 ??? >:(

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11808 on: December 05, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »
I have no idea what "Nite Vale" is. As far as I know, there is some haunted Arby's in it.

HHOP this week was great again. The saloon door and adult bookstore talk was hilarious.

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11809 on: December 06, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
The saloon door and adult bookstore talk was hilarious.
Beep beep.

JeSStradiol

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11810 on: December 06, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
Cheer up Fred.  You know you don't have to listen if you think it's tired right? Right? Right? Right? Right? Right? Sorry bout the echo there. 
echo chamber. come on. you can't just make fun of everything in life. tom was totally lying about not ever hearing a second of nite vale. proof is he slipped up called it by its right name rather than the hack " i don't really know the name" bit. so tired.

"Nothing from Fletch is making it on this list. NOTHING!!!"

claedalus

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11811 on: December 06, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »

Okay, fess up, which ghoul do you play on Nightvale?
Build that website brah

JeSStradiol

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11812 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
Tom's hushed "Jesus Christ" during the Fredricks call shocked me into laughter.
That cracked me up also. I had to rewind and listen to it twice. The NightShade or Nightvale stuff was hilarious. I really likes this weeks ATBESTSHOW.
"Nothing from Fletch is making it on this list. NOTHING!!!"

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11813 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »
Is it just me or does it sound like Vance is the host of Nightshade?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11814 on: December 07, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
THIS mug is still around! (and accepting lavish charity)

FPs can get a bit dull. Option C: Supercallers. They have been scarce as of late. An injection of the likes of Spike, Fredericks, Jason from Huntsville, Julie from Cincinnati, Dave from Knoxville, Coco from the Ettes, Fred from Honolulu, etc would be fruitful. Not sure if all of these mugs are still around*, but... develop your own talent like the WCW Powerplant

Reunions don't always suck- Negative Approach, Mission of Burma, The State, Wanton Loveboy, etc. are proof. With that in mind, bring back a few classics- Petey, Maple Syrup Mussolini, Officer Tom for a brief reprise. That would be like a 2015 CM Punk run-in. The chat would pop.

Also, schtick like Coffin Talk, sound collages, lists, etc work well. More schtick.

That said, Best Show is superior without my input. Tom doesn't tell me how to manage hedge funds, why should I offer him unsolicited advice on how to entertain?

*I'm listening to the WFMU archives at work... currently in summer of 2008... the timeline gets confusing

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11815 on: December 07, 2015, 06:45:07 PM »
Crispin Glover

I also envision him as Bond

and Batman

I stand by my belief that Burt Young is a hilarious joke answer to the topic and I'm pretty sure either Paul or Rob agreed because one of them laughed at it.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11816 on: December 07, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Is it just me or does it sound like Vance is the host of Nightshade?

Ha! I thought the same thing. I've started listening again from the beginning, up to 2003, and it just gets better.

GoodOleJesseP

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11817 on: December 07, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »

I hate to do it, but I have to agree on this week's episode. It was everything that makes the show unbearable a lot of times - a great theme that gets buried because Tom needs to beat a dead horse of Prairie Home Companion, Night Vale, "here's a popular thing that I'm going to make fun of," "hey, caller, remember this obscure piece of subculture that no one cares about?," and that trailer bit. I can't blame people for not calling in really. I can't even count how many times in the past the show has had great topics that get flushed because of Tom's inane ramblings. Honestly, at this point in the game, he makes Marc Maron seem like the most bearable person on the planet, but his trajectory is the exact opposite.

He really is everything he hates. Oh well, unsubscribed it is.

P.S. - Hollywood Handbook is terrible.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11818 on: December 08, 2015, 01:36:12 AM »
"He's a -- ooooone post troooooolllll"

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11819 on: December 08, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »
I liked the Tom On The Goddamn Dave Hill Show. It was actually my first time listening to the show. Dave Hill is a great host, with a lot of opposing mannerisms to Tom, and they work.

Excited to hear Goddamn Dave on the Best Show.