Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824003 times)

Kormod

Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7140 on: September 23, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
Spike is sort of a constant presence on the show, mentioned or unmentioned.  I love the scare-quotes he puts around "ban." It's like he can't quite accept the reality of it--that it's not a "ban," it's a ban.

To be fair, most of the bans Tom has given him in the past have been kind of dubious. I can't even remember how many times he's been given a lengthy ban only to call in a week later.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7141 on: September 23, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
I wonder if Smashmouth will make good on their promise to eat the eggs.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7142 on: September 24, 2011, 01:21:36 AM »
Oh yeah, and the randomness of Ricky Jay as the lead vehicle/cornerstone/bet-the-farm star for a Shout Network series.

Ricky. Jay.

Hilarious and weird.

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7144 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:51 AM »
This is the blog post that DJ Keili referred to on this week's show:

http://18rabbitscircleblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/worst-show-on-wfmu.html

This is the blog I created in 2007 for the Linus the Blogger character.  Amazing.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7145 on: September 24, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
I wonder if Smashmouth will make good on their promise to eat the eggs.

Steve, I just want you to know that I get this joke.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7146 on: September 24, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Listening to the last hour or so of the podcast and I just found out that there will be a show about me on the Shout Network.  Should be riveting.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7147 on: September 24, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
Fonzerelli Slide

The full version of the Fonzarelli Slide. The fact that it's one guy doing all the voices is kind of impressive excpet for the fact that none of them sound anything like the people he's supposed to be imitating.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7148 on: September 25, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
Matthew Tompkins calls always make me very happy.

The Van Morrison 2 Hour is perhaps my favourite Best Show reference of all. Every single time it comes up I lose it, regardless of where I am (this week - walking to the train station on a relatively busy road. Got some funny looks.) It's always the "soft shoe" reference that gets me.

I like that both Tom and Jon started to lose it at one point with the giggling. That kinda makes it even greater, when you know they love it too.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Lucas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7149 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
Last week was my first-time call, I had the first call re: the strip mall OTO temple & 'Pizza Buddies.' It was fun! But the gold of the show for me was Tom's Smashmouth impression.
Does anyone remember when "Walking on the Sun" came out, thinking "This is the last I'll have to hear from this awful band"? And the hit singles kept rolling..

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7150 on: September 25, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »
Fonzerelli Slide

The full version of the Fonzarelli Slide. The fact that it's one guy doing all the voices is kind of impressive excpet for the fact that none of them sound anything like the people he's supposed to be imitating.

That segment was horrifying. It was simultaneously best and worst. That voices guy is the worst. 'Hey Fonz are you gonna be the new leader of the Sweathogs?' Worst crossover event ever.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7151 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
Yes Pets, I'm still around. I can't wait for my "ban" to be lifted.

So, was this your best/worst moment in the last show?  Were you even mentioned on the 9/20 show? You do know what the title of this thread is and what it means, yes?  Was there a moment that actually happened on that show that you care to comment about? And what does that scrambled youtube image read?  Oh it reads "not worth it" i.e. clicking it to find out what it reads.  Hey, have a splendid weekend.

Hey, Crusherkc, who pulled up his pants and named you message board dink?
"Is this me?"

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7152 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »

Mark, I appreciate your defense of Spike. I used to really like his calls and I give him credit for calling into the show, that is something I'm too nervous to do.  But since Weirdos Exposed-gate and his backing off on visiting the show, I feel his presence on the show is to now to simply call attention to himself- he never moves forward the topic and never seems to ask Tom (after all these years) of his well-being.  I would love for him to be in the studio and let us get to know him better. 

But, I seriously wondering why he'd post reminders of himself or a subject (an old soap opera that only he gives a shit about) on a thread about the latest show on which he didn't appear.  Hence I wrote "Not Worth It" - clicking on the link is not worth it (unless you really wanna watch an old soap opera- be my guest)  No one appointed me nor am I a dink.  I'll take your comment as a warning to keep myself in check-to cool down my rhetoric and for making this fun thing not so fun- I don't wanna be that guy, again appreciate that.

We cool or at least a little cooler?
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7153 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »

Mark, I appreciate your defense of Spike. I used to really like his calls and I give him credit for calling into the show, that is something I'm too nervous to do.  But since Weirdos Exposed-gate and his backing off on visiting the show, I feel his presence on the show is to now to simply call attention to himself- he never moves forward the topic and never seems to ask Tom (after all these years) of his well-being.  I would love for him to be in the studio and let us get to know him better. 

But, I seriously wondering why he'd post reminders of himself or a subject (an old soap opera that only he gives a shit about) on a thread about the latest show on which he didn't appear.  Hence I wrote "Not Worth It" - clicking on the link is not worth it (unless you really wanna watch an old soap opera- be my guest)  No one appointed me nor am I a dink.  I'll take your comment as a warning to keep myself in check-to cool down my rhetoric and for making this fun thing not so fun- I don't wanna be that guy, again appreciate that.

We cool or at least a little cooler?

To quote Funzie:

"Aaaaaaayyyyy."

Spike, like Bellevue, is an institution.
"Is this me?"

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7154 on: September 26, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »

To quote Funzie:

"Aaaaaaayyyyy."

I think you meant "aaaaAAAAAAYSitOnIt!"
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling