Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824194 times)

Lucas

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7260 on: October 06, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »
Tom questioning the Americanism of Carvel's had me in tears. But the best part was 'Achilles Last Stand' at the beginning, I'm glad he made good on his threat to play it, because it's LZ's best late-career song without a doubt, and pound for pound a way better song than 'Stairway to Heaven.' So underappreciated.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7261 on: October 06, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »
Worst moments: "Wally's" uncomfortable, defensive squirming.

Best moments: Tom's response, and Wally's insane insistence that a puppet be taken seriously (instead of comically, as was the puppet's original intent)

Best moment (for me): when I wondered if the ultimate goal of the ban -- which began around the death of the protege contest -- is for the banned to start their own bloomin' show on WFMU.

You can be taken seriously in one way and still make people laugh.  It's when they're all laughing AT/mocking you, rather than WITH you is when there's a problem.  This holds true, even for a puppet.  His entertainment/comedic value is meant to be taken seriously, and not looked down on just because he's a puppet.

-Zach (Big Z)

spruce

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7262 on: October 06, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »
I think the banned callers need to look to the humblest, most ignoble of callers, one Larry D. Pervison as their role model. As callers go, he's like a scrappy, three-legged mutt with a skin condition, but he knows how to work his schtick and get in and out without wearing out his welcome. Even his call on this week's show, which had the flimsiest of pretexts, and might have been pure shilling if he indeed is trying to get a podcast started, even then, it was one of the best calls of the night. He gave Tom something to work with, and just left when it had played itself out. Study Larry, Wally! Humble yourself and seek him out as a mentor. See how unfazed he is by Tom's abuse? He takes it all with a good nature and rolls with it.

Also: man did I laugh at the line about how Trip said they let him use a guillotine, as long as he kept it set to five. The Wurster calls have been so good lately. And Archie Bunker's execution by electric chair gets me every time.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7263 on: October 06, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
I think Wally is mostly unfazed by when Tom does it, and is genuinely playing it up.  Other people who don't have the same established relationship, and are often genuinely harsh and not on his side are a different story.  Of course, Tom's criticisms can come on harsh/strong, as Wally and I both hold him in high regard and look at him as an entertainment role model.

-Zach (Big Z)

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7264 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Ha! At a sportsbar watching the Yankees/Tigers and Nevermind is playing. It's even worse than I remember. Just to give you an idea, it sounds perfect in a sportsbar environment.

llcultjam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7265 on: October 06, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7266 on: October 06, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<RequestId>769DE50ABE41AD09</RequestId>
<Expires>2011-10-07T01:29:20Z</Expires>

<HostId>
3zi1RCMO9pKVfjJj/d3ZeRk325/ygfXBo2/P6CoyNpZFb7C44Dxbzz9iEsxUtf0N
</HostId>
<ServerTime>2011-10-07T01:47:52Z</ServerTime>
</Error>
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7267 on: October 06, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<RequestId>769DE50ABE41AD09</RequestId>
<Expires>2011-10-07T01:29:20Z</Expires>

<HostId>
3zi1RCMO9pKVfjJj/d3ZeRk325/ygfXBo2/P6CoyNpZFb7C44Dxbzz9iEsxUtf0N
</HostId>
<ServerTime>2011-10-07T01:47:52Z</ServerTime>
</Error>

Yes!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Stan

« Reply #7268 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

Thanks for the error code. I think I fixed it. Look above.

Great job, dere.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7269 on: October 07, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
Man the Wally stuff is awful. Why would a true fan of the Best Show make listeners and Tom go through that?

I really don’t know. It was a horrible call. Tom made it compelling but only because it felt like Tom had to coach a guy, that he clearly knows well, off some kind of cliff. It just felt like a talk you would have with a friend who’s found their way into a bad place. But that’s normally done in private. It creeped me out to listen to it. Given that, resetting the ban is reasonable, just for putting Tom  (and us) through it. And the offer at the end to only extend his ban missed the point as the stakes were clear upfront.

The return of "Planet GG" entrepreneur Trip Whiting.

But no callback to it, I kept waiting for it. What a great Wurster call though. A little of everything sprinkled in."Guillotine but only if it’s set to 5" was special.

I think Nirvana's finest moment is the Unplugged album.

I'm an In Utero man myself.

This just showed up on the 'FMU Twitter feed

That is awesome. Drunk callers sneaking in can make for fun turfouts. And is it just me or was there 2 more Jen Kirkman sound alikes this week. And one was called Jen.

Best:
1. El Hijo de Jason saying "Hello Tom" exactly like his pops

So good. I thought it was Jason til he said otherwise. Solid debut call. But seriously – Jason, dude, you do not look old enough to have a teenage(?) son. Good youthfulness sir.

Can I just say that Catie Tumbls The Best Show is hands down my new favorite thing ever? She made 30 DRAWINGS just for this episode!

That's great, thanks for linking it.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7270 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
Man the Wally stuff is awful. Why would a true fan of the Best Show make listeners and Tom go through that?
And the offer at the end to only extend his ban missed the point as the stakes were clear upfront.

Wally knew that.  Tom asked him, outright, what his thoughts were, regarding what action Tom should take, and Wally put out a possible alternative.

-Zach (Big Z)

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7271 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
I keep wondering what 'Doodles' the fat bully is doing these days?
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

DavidSestrand

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7272 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
best: Tom's human-puppet voiced "Are you Tom Scharpling?" during the heart to puppet-heart talk
I'm a twit: @DavidSestrand

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7273 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
"...that, and he shot a bunch of squirrels."

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #7274 on: October 07, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Best:
1. El Hijo de Jason saying "Hello Tom" exactly like his pops

So good. I thought it was Jason til he said otherwise. Solid debut call. But seriously – Jason, dude, you do not look old enough to have a teenage(?) son. Good youthfulness sir.

Thanks. I actually have two teenage sons (aged 14 & 16.) As for the "youthfulness", it helps if you start having kids when you're 20. I do have my share of white hairs in my hair and beard that I attribute to those two, though.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom