Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818752 times)

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7245 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
My favorite moment was when Wally finally starts getting what Tom is saying and it feels like he's had a little bit of personal growth and then Tom cuts him off with "YOU'RE NOT DOING THE VOICE!!!"

This was a fantastic episode, I also really liked the voice of Anubis.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7246 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
The Power of The Best Show?

Just one day later, and Friendly's has to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/friendlys-idUSL3E7L51GD20111005

THE DARK ARTS AT WORK.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7247 on: October 06, 2011, 02:57:12 AM »
Man, this made me laugh proper like: http://yfrog.com/nws4qnj
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7248 on: October 06, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
All the Friendly's talk made me hunger for a greasy burger on toast...and for me to be 12 years old again when I would enjoy (and be able to digest) such food.

I liked the labor organizer's call, sorry but his name slipped me by, and his inside dope on waiter/waitress ettiquette.

Upon a 2nd listen I think my favorite moments were having Zep's 'Achilles Last Stand' bookending the show with  Wally's Last Stand. It seemed an appropriate intro/outro.  Imagine the song as bed music to his (its) call and during the muffled parts you hear Jimmy Page's wailing solo.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7249 on: October 06, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I agree with Tom: Bleach is Nirvana's pinnacle.  And more specifically, the musical hat trick of "About A Girl" followed by "School" followed by their cover of "Love Buzz" is the pinnacle of that pinnacle.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Greggulator

« Reply #7250 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
1) I agree w/ Tom and Jon about Nevermind. That album's pretty terrible in retrospect. I can get down with Bleach forever and ever.

2) The Friendly's talk. Textbook Best Show and why I love it so. I also loved Tom ripping on Carvel. I'm a Carvel man myself but to each his own. FRIBBLED. Great job, Jon.

I think in this topic I will be regular Gregg. I will save all chatter on the Banned in that thread where I will be Dark Greggulator.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7251 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »

Upon a 2nd listen I think my favorite moments were having Zep's 'Achilles Last Stand' bookending the show with  Wally's Last Stand. It seemed an appropriate intro/outro.  Imagine the song as bed music to his (its) call and during the muffled parts you hear Jimmy Page's wailing solo.

Holy moly, of course!

Dr.Radical

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7252 on: October 06, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
I agree with Tom: Bleach is Nirvana's pinnacle.  And more specifically, the musical hat trick of "About A Girl" followed by "School" followed by their cover of "Love Buzz" is the pinnacle of that pinnacle.

Bleach is best but it kind of makes me realize that Nirvana really wasn't that great as their best album is the one where they're trying to be the Melvins. I love the Melvins but when you sound best imitating another band, it doesn't say much about you, in my opinion. I suppose most bands are trying to imitate their favorite bands in some way or another, though, so I dunno.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7253 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
I think Nirvana's finest moment is the Unplugged album.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7254 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
As a big Uncle Tupelo fan and hater of Nevermind, I liked that little bit of trivia. Nevermind was so boring it actually made me angry.

Crusherkc

« Reply #7255 on: October 06, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
2) The Friendly's talk. Textbook Best Show and why I love it so. I also loved Tom ripping on Carvel. I'm a Carvel man myself but to each his own. FRIBBLED. Great job, Jon.

When I was a kid we used to have 2 NYC/NJ tv stations in our Boston area cable, PIX and WOR, and saw those Carvel ads with the strep-throat voiced guy (and Crazy Eddie ads) pitching whale-shaped cakes (ice cream cakes???) all the time.  I have always been curious about trying one. 

I kinda agree w/Mike inferring that Friendly's was 'high class' since the one in my neighborhood was right next to a wasp-infested Dairy Queen. 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7256 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »

I kinda agree w/Mike inferring that Friendly's was 'high class' since the one in my neighborhood was right next to a wasp-infested Dairy Queen. 

I am picturing William F. Buckley eating a Dilly Bar.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

betheboy

« Reply #7257 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »

I am picturing William F. Buckley eating a Dilly Bar.

I ate hundreds of meals at Friendly's between roughly 1982-1992 but I never ordered the giant Jim Dandy sundae. I better do that so I can check it off of the bucket list. When it came to ice cream, Carvel was always the first choice in my family.  Friendly's was strictly a "have to feed 6 people for $30" kind of place."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7258 on: October 06, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
I was one of the malcontents mocking Nirvana back in the early 90s. I did like and do think the Unplugged stuff was good, but then and even more so now I hate hate hate Butch Vig's production on Nevermind.

ioguie

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7259 on: October 06, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
Worst moments: "Wally's" uncomfortable, defensive squirming.

Best moments: Tom's response, and Wally's insane insistence that a puppet be taken seriously (instead of comically, as was the puppet's original intent)

Best moment (for me): when I wondered if the ultimate goal of the ban -- which began around the death of the protege contest -- is for the banned to start their own bloomin' show on WFMU.