Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828549 times)

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7320 on: October 11, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
Sebastian Bach was really great on that 'Supergroup' show, though (and Trailer Park Boys).

Bach is basically good in everything, from working with The Frogs to his recurring role as Gil on Gilmore girls. He has a very infectious enthusiasm for livin' and rockin' even when faced with total devastation

He's also capable of being incredibly funny.  For example, during a That Metal Show episode from earlier this season Bach unleashed a truly hilarious (and completely accurate) quip regarding the look of Edward Trunk in a 1998 MTV clip.  In the clip, Trunk and Jesse Camp (!!) are interviewing Bach.  After the clip ends, Bach says the following regarding Trunk's appearance:

"Dude!  Dude, you look like Geraldo Rivera meets Bobbly Blotzer." That's Wurster-grade brilliance. The segment in question:

That Metal Show - Sebastian Bach and Anvil [2011-05-10] PART II of IV

This freak needs a haircut.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7321 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WOULD VOTE FOR HERMIONE CAIN.

This isn't good, Spike. I don't mean by your usual standard, I mean by any standard that would be recognized by someone above the age of eight.  Mocking a man by giving him a feminine version of his name might make you King Shit on the second-grade playground, but from an adult it's pathetic and, in your case, burnishes an already established reputation for misogyny.  What's next, Mitzi Romney? You can do better.  We NEED you to do better.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7322 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7323 on: October 11, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WOULD VOTE FOR HERMIONE CAIN.

This isn't good, Spike. I don't mean by your usual standard, I mean by any standard that would be recognized by someone above the age of eight.  Mocking a man by giving him a feminine version of his name might make you King Shit on the second-grade playground, but from an adult it's pathetic and, in your case, burnishes an already established reputation for misogyny.  What's next, Mitzi Romney? You can do better.  We NEED you to do better.

Herman Pain-in-the Butt?

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7324 on: October 12, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »
Mitzi (hamine) Romney?

YO THAT'S REAL THO! I heard Mitt made multiple clones of himself, including a few female ones that he multiple married! Nah, sorry, that's rude to the Mormon cult. Wait did I say "cult"? Well heck, that guy from Rick "the Refrigerator" Perry's campaign said it was a cult. So I reckon I can say it too.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7325 on: October 12, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
I liked "You're not doing it right there, fella" as a topic, because my dad always used "Fella" as an epithet for anyone who ever cut him off in traffic (or any other type of automotive sin).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7326 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
Herman Pain-in-the Butt?

Hernia Pain? I dunno, this isn't my job.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7328 on: October 12, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
Before we get back to discussing Sebastian Bach (Omar, BTW, you are legitimately my favorite poster now between this and your Nirvana post) and Spike's campaign run...

That was probably my favorite Philly Boy Roy call of all-time. I have avoided any Philly sports talk radio solely because of people like Roy. Philly was so crazy with the Phillies that they showed Game 5 on a projector at our local #OccupyWallStreet gathering. I was at a wedding on Saturday and the priest started his homily by talking about the "tragedy" of the night before. Between that and throwing car batteries at The Hooters...

There was other great local color in the call. The "Occupy Passyunk" think was classic. Someone (Wes?) talked last night about how it was mispronounced by Roy as "Pass-eee-yunk" when it's actually called "Pash-unk". However, after thinking about this all night, Roy's version was indeed accurate. Being that Roy's the most famous son of Roxborough, chances are he's only left the neighborhood to go see 'Nem Hooters (or other Philly-area bands) or to Center City on a class trip in 6th grade. And the only thing he'd know about the Passyunk area would be Pat's and Geno's, thus he'd pronounce it as it's spelled.

The only thing he had wrong was about the McDonald's in the neighborhood. As a current resident of Roxborough, I can attest that the McDonald's is actually in Andorra and not Roxborough. (The Andorra/Roxborough/Manayunk debate has lasted for eons, as far as I can tell. No one is quite sure exactly where the boundaries lie between the three. This matters dearly because which side you're on determines which neighborhood gang you'd belong to as a teenager. However, all three are unified against East Falls.)

And, yes, as a Roxborough-ian, I can attest that there are plenty of Ziegler-types running around. There's also a lot of young family transplants such as my wife and I. The only time the two groups interact is during dog walks (Hey yas, how yas doin'?) or the occasional trip to a local townie bar* or during a fight in the winter while trying to get a parking space (since people place plastic furniture in front of their houses to claim a spot).

Kudos to Tom and Wurster! Roy was one of the first things that introduced me to The Best Show. It's the only thing I know of which brings the bizareness of the city I love to the masses. I guess It's Always Sunny does a bit but they don't do the accent. And, yes, people do sound like that here.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Greggulator

« Reply #7329 on: October 12, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
* TRUE ROXBOROUGH STORY THAT IF JON READS HE WILL LOVE

There's a local bar called the Henry James Saloon. This is one of my favorite bars in the world. It's really townie but fun. They have a speciality sandwich called The Hank Jim which is chicken fingers, peperoni, melted provolone and peppers. They also give out free drinks if Chase Utley hits a home run or if an Iggle running back scores a TD.

My friends were there about a year ago. A guy at the bar started having a diabetic seizure. The paramedics came in and checked him out. The EMT said: "Give him a hoagie. He'll be fine." So they gave this guy a hoagie and he came back from beyond. The bartender, in order to make up for the scare at the bar, gave everyone there a free drink... including the guy who just nearly lapsed into a diabetic coma, who washed his hoagie down with a Yuengling.

Sarah

« Reply #7330 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
I think that story is heartwarming.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7331 on: October 12, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
My friends were there about a year ago. A guy at the bar started having a diabetic seizure. The paramedics came in and checked him out. The EMT said: "Give him a hoagie. He'll be fine." So they gave this guy a hoagie and he came back from beyond. The bartender, in order to make up for the scare at the bar, gave everyone there a free drink... including the guy who just nearly lapsed into a diabetic coma, who washed his hoagie down with a Yuengling.

Good post, Darth. 

Probably would have made a better call, though.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Sarah

« Reply #7332 on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »
It still could be.

Greggulator

« Reply #7333 on: October 12, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
It still could be.

Maybe some day. I'm not planning on calling again for a while.

Sarah

« Reply #7334 on: October 12, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
I would hope not.  The story is timeless; telling it on the air can wait.