Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828961 times)

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7335 on: October 12, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
* TRUE ROXBOROUGH STORY THAT IF JON READS HE WILL LOVE

Hilarious quality post, Gregg, albeit slightly unbelievable. That being said....I've never really hung out in nem parts of Philly before.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7336 on: October 12, 2011, 12:05:26 PM »
Pure radio magic during that long pause when the guy who called in from King of Prussia with the accent was seriously mulling things over after Tom demanded he drop the accent and speak to Tom in his real voice. Just so much going on there as Tom appeals to the guy and promises he won't hang up on him when you know he's dying to immediately do that the instant the guy gives in, while the guy is contemplating the same exact thing. It didn't even need to happen, just the knowledge that everyone listening knew exactly how it would go down and the fact that Tom still managed to get to the guy, stop him in his tracks and had him actually considering walking right into a five star hangup was beautiful.

And then the very next call was the debut of a real caller with a legit accent who would have been hearing that whole thing go down. Outstanding. And exactly the kind of sequence of events that never gets recognized by the Podmass mentality and can't be summed up by the Gems. That's why you listen to the Best Show and that's why you listen to Tom do it live.

Worst moment: the realization that the guy with the slidewhistle (was that Future Power Caller Wannabe George?) did it himself and it wasn't a new GOMP/Heave Ho sound effect like the "YOU'RE A GHOST!" noise.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7337 on: October 12, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
"I dere you to love me"

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7338 on: October 12, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
Before we get back to discussing Sebastian Bach (Omar, BTW, you are legitimately my favorite poster now between this and your Nirvana post) and Spike's campaign run...

Thanks, sir!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Crusherkc

« Reply #7339 on: October 12, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
Worst moment: the realization that the guy with the slidewhistle (was that Future Power Caller Wannabe George?) did it himself and it wasn't a new GOMP/Heave Ho sound effect like the "YOU'RE A GHOST!" noise.

Agree, worst moment was when future power caller and party dj "George" (I'll just assume you got his name right, I'm not gonna go back and look for it) flopped.  I think the slide whistler was Uncle Evan from Winnepeg (?) who manages the all-facial hair band. He was told to play a slide whistle last week b/c Tom doesn't like the self-moniker-ed "Uncle" ("does your band call you uncle?", "yes", "that's gross, heave-ho")

Favorite moment when the subject of "Cosmos" was being remade by Seth MacFarland: "Remember the time when that mass clustered and formed a planet?"

I, Robot Chicken
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7340 on: October 12, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
Favorite moment when the subject of "Cosmos" was being remade by Seth MacFarland: "Remember the time when that mass clustered and formed a planet?"

Or maybe Peter Griffin will pop in and say some standard stupid McFarlane joke like "that reminds me of the time I visited the Crab Nebula with Mr. T."

Har de har har... Almost as funny as McFarlane's "Joaquin Phoenix is a harelip" joke... Tee-fuckin'-hee...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7341 on: October 12, 2011, 05:40:07 PM »
Rhino's 25-CD anniversary reissue of "Nervous Noight" (with vinyl download!)
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7342 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
I totally lost it during the 'vinyl download' part, esp. the 780(?) gram pressing....'you know nem hockey pucks?'

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7343 on: October 12, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
"They made Opie eat his haunches" might just be the best thing any human being has ever said.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7344 on: October 12, 2011, 07:44:44 PM »
Also, I'm incredibly dismayed to find that McFarlane remaking Cosmos was not a very funny joke but a real thing that is happening on the planet Earth.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7345 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Also, I'm incredibly dismayed to find that McFarlane remaking Cosmos was not a very funny joke but a real thing that is happening on the planet Earth.
You could move to another planet.

Outer Space Employment Agency
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7346 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »
That's the best idea I've heard in a LONG TIME.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

mackro

« Reply #7347 on: October 12, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WOULD VOTE FOR HERMIONE CAIN.

This isn't good, Spike. I don't mean by your usual standard, I mean by any standard that would be recognized by someone above the age of eight.  Mocking a man by giving him a feminine version of his name might make you King Shit on the second-grade playground, but from an adult it's pathetic and, in your case, burnishes an already established reputation for misogyny.  What's next, Mitzi Romney? You can do better.  We NEED you to do better.

I was gonna say: Hermany Korain. Maybe too obscure.

mackro

« Reply #7348 on: October 12, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
This past Tuesday was solid all the way through, by the way. It's difficult to find a best moment, but the one that's still stuck in my head is Tom verbalizing the idea of a Best Show Musical.. it was the Larry Da Perv Aria that had me fall over.. paraphrasing: "I'm over dere, dere. Do I dare to call tonight, dere?".

There was obviously more to the show than that. The King Of Prussia guy was a Micro Gem.  Tom tearing apart both the guy who was complaining about Matt Pinfield's twitter feed and the guy who was going to teach Fat Artists 101. And the very haphazard decision at the end to reset the ban... the continuing metaphor of the Felt Madoff.

The last 2.5 weeks have been Best Best Show Concentrate.

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7349 on: October 13, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »
Roy's trash hauling business: Get Trashed with the Roy Man