Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824183 times)

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8745 on: June 21, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
I hadn't heard about the Carolla interview, but it looks like he's pissed off every creative person in Los Angeles

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8746 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
The Spoonman jam.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8747 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
I hadn't heard about the Carolla interview, but it looks like he's pissed off every creative person in Los Angeles

Even Jesse Thorn? That guy is always sucking up to Carolla.

not that clay

« Reply #8748 on: June 22, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
I worked in the Pike Place Market back in the 1990s when Spoonman was a regular busker down there. He wasn't, as the caller imagined, "haggard African-American." He was white, had a mohawk, and always wore a muscle t. He was pretty intense and a little scary. I always walked on the opposite street from him. He looked like he might beat the crap out somebody. When I heard about the Soundgarden song I imagined they must have been talking about a different Spoonman, but no, it's there's only one.

Back then I thought he was terrible but this is actually pretty good:

Artis the Spoonman on Nightmusic

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8749 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:51 AM »
I worked in Pike Place Market too. Golden Age Collectables from 97-98.

Each summer KISW organized a weekly Friday night concert series near the Space Needle. The series was called "Pain In The Grass." The series guide would usually mention that every year Artis the Spoonman would ask if he could perform at one of the shows. And every year he was told "no."

mackro

« Reply #8750 on: June 22, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »
He's definitely not scary anymore. I first saw Spoonman at some festival in Seattle Center in 2001, probably my first Bumbershoot. He was super nice, not intense or annoying as he is in the "Spoonman" music video. (I was a little surprised the video wasn't talked about much.)  He sells all sorts of weird metal/utensil based Stuff during any arts and crafts event.  I never saw him do his spoon-playing though.

Crusherkc

« Reply #8751 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »

No kidding...and Chris Hardwick.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8752 on: June 22, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

Jesse lavished praise on Carollo after Carollo's initial podcast, when Carollo did a pretty good diatribe about everything that's wrong with modern commercial radio. But after that diatribe, Carollo immediately fell back into all the lame habits he developed doing commercial radio. He brought back Bald Bryan to do annoying sound drops and the newslady to read pointless fluffy news items. I appreciate Carollo's loyalty to his radio comrades, but maybe you can have bald bryan and the newslady doing something different than that stupid radio stuff.

Anyway, I haven't listened to that thing in quite a while. Maybe he's doing something different now. But probably not. That guy seems like a creature of his annoying habits.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8753 on: June 22, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
The call from Marfa was great! 2 quotable lines (forgive me if i get them a lil off)

"I don't think cellular technology can handle the delicate, complex acoustics of the spoons" and "I already won a cheeseburger, I don't need to prove myself"
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8754 on: June 22, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »
How great is "Carter's Sphere" going to be?

I hope it's a triple album, and one song takes up 5 out of the 6 sides.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8755 on: June 22, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
That laugh.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8756 on: June 22, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
Adam Carolla, Jr.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8757 on: June 22, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Just realized when I listened to the Podcast today that Tom had mentioned "Herb" from Burger King, one of my favorite dumb, advertising stunts ever.

I'm still looking for him.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8758 on: June 23, 2012, 06:47:28 PM »
For some reason BARTER KINGS bothers me more than the rest of these  kinds of shows. The bad acting is part of it (and Tom's idea for an acting class/school for reality show stars is a legitimately good idea. Just get them familiar with the basics before they actually go on camera. You don't have to be like Barry rom STORAGE WARS who's
 a natural, but you should at least do as well as Chumlee.) but on one of the two episodes I saw the dude spent the episode trying to get a pony for his daughter which feels like the most obnoxious thing ever.

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8759 on: June 24, 2012, 12:24:21 PM »
He's definitely not scary anymore. I first saw Spoonman at some festival in Seattle Center in 2001, probably my first Bumbershoot. He was super nice, not intense or annoying as he is in the "Spoonman" music video. (I was a little surprised the video wasn't talked about much.)  He sells all sorts of weird metal/utensil based Stuff during any arts and crafts event.  I never saw him do his spoon-playing though.

I lived in Seattle in 2000. A friend's husband had an album release party at a house and Artis the Spoonman performed. It was one of the single most impressive performances I've ever experienced. He's more of a "utensil-man." He uses an arsenal of items that make all sorts of crazy sounds. All sorts of ringing, clinking, and bell like sounds. And he works it all into an amazing, frenzied fever where he jolts back and forth in a just a blur of metal, wooden spoons and spatulas. He is a true artist. He also does some wild spoken word stuff. He's a legend. But it certainly doesn't translate very well outside of the intimate setting of someone's living room. He's appeared on Letterman, and I used to have a tape of him performing with an orchestra. He's a really nice guy, too.
I can hear you judging me.