Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824168 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8760 on: June 24, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
For some reason BARTER KINGS bohters me more than the rest of these  kinds of shows. The bad acting is part of it (and Tom's idea for an acting class/school for reality show stars is a legitimately good idea. Just get them familiar with the basics before they actually go on camera. You don't have to be like Barry rom STORAGE WARS who'
s a natural, but you should at least do as well as Chumlee.) but on one of the two episodes I saw the dude spent the episode trying to get a pony for his daughter which feels like the most obnoxious thing ever.

Teaching a Reality Show Acting Boot Camp would be a nice way for actors having a hard time finding work because of reality programming to pick up some extra money.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8761 on: June 25, 2012, 05:33:17 AM »
For some reason BARTER KINGS bohters me more than the rest of these  kinds of shows. The bad acting is part of it (and Tom's idea for an acting class/school for reality show stars is a legitimately good idea. Just get them familiar with the basics before they actually go on camera. You don't have to be like Barry rom STORAGE WARS who'
s a natural, but you should at least do as well as Chumlee.) but on one of the two episodes I saw the dude spent the episode trying to get a pony for his daughter which feels like the most obnoxious thing ever.

Teaching a Reality Show Acting Boot Camp would be a nice way for actors having a hard time finding work because of reality programming to pick up some extra money.

When I was in Chicago last week I saw a show that I assumed wasn't airing in the D/FW market [apparently it's on the NBC affiliate here]: We The People with Gloria Allred. I swear that I thought it was a sketch from SNL or similar show. Per the Wikipedia entry:
The series features actors doing re-enactments of real-life court cases, with Allred serving as judge. Most of the cases are part scripted and part improvised, with audience participation.[2] No real money has to be paid after the "judgment".
The acting is awful. Jerry Springer's guests are Sir Laurence Olivier compared to the people appearing on Allred's show.

While in Chicago I also stumbled across a jigglefest on Telemundo called 12 Corazones. I couldn't understand most of what they were saying yet I couldn't change the channel.   ;D

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8762 on: June 25, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
Just realized when I listened to the Podcast today that Tom had mentioned "Herb" from Burger King, one of my favorite dumb, advertising stunts ever.

I'm still looking for him.

This was also one of my favorites.  Why doesn't Madison Avenue take chances anymore?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8763 on: June 25, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
He even got a shout-out in 'Night of the Living Baseheads' by Public Enemy.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8764 on: June 26, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
Tom wanted to know who the best spoonmen out there were--I think this spoongal is pretty awesome (and feeds a mean kangaroo to boot), but you'll have to go to Australia to see her:

Deb 'Spoons' Perry Does The Black Keys
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

stewart from australia

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8765 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »
Wow!
She makes me proud to be an Australian.

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8766 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »
I don't know whether this is a best or worst moment, but Skeevy's persistence in wanting to discuss adolescent Mike's Carol Burnett rub-out party was alarming, particularly given that "awkward sexual awakenings" has been repeatedly floated as a possible Depravity's Rainbow topic and shot down!

I'm concerned about AP Mike.  I don't want this to turn into some kind of weird thing like Anthony Perkins (Also an AP! Coincidence?) in Magic.

The entire bit about putting wet and too-heavy stuff into paper bags was incredible.

This was the best Hatch Patch episode yet!
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

gravy boat

« Reply #8767 on: June 27, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
I don't know whether this is a best or worst moment, but Skeevy's persistence in wanting to discuss adolescent Mike's Carol Burnett rub-out party was alarming, particularly given that "awkward sexual awakenings" has been repeatedly floated as a possible Depravity's Rainbow topic and shot down!

I'm concerned about AP Mike.  I don't want this to turn into some kind of weird thing like Anthony Perkins (Also an AP! Coincidence?) in Magic.

The entire bit about putting wet and too-heavy stuff into paper bags was incredible.

This was the best Hatch Patch episode yet!

That was a great show.  Daniel and Maggie really added a lot and were funny--without trying to continually out-do each other.

Good to see Skeevy get out from Gary's growing (and earned) shadow for a bit. 

The caller with the voice-tron thing was hilarious.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8768 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »
That was a disturbing 15 minutes.

But a lot of fun.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8769 on: June 27, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
I loved Mike's story about the youthful beach altercation with the guy on Quaaludes (aka "Black Beauties").

Listening back on the show now, I'm hearing something I missed last night: The very distinct pop-and-hiss of Coor's cans being opened on-mic. (I've heard it at least twice so far).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8770 on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
As I mentioned in the chat last night, Quaaludes might be the most decade-specific drug ever invented:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/02/quaalude-nostalgia-a-retro-drug-that-everyone-remembers-fondly/252285/

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8771 on: June 27, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
The caller with the voice-tron thing was hilarious.

The timing of some of those "Brian Raisin" vocoder things was priceless. I would love to hear "Brian" call the Best Show.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8772 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
Just getting to the third hour.  Black Beauties are speed not 'ludes.  That may explain the gentleman's agitation.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8773 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
Just getting to the third hour.  Black Beauties are speed not 'ludes.  That may explain the gentleman's agitation.

this raises the impressiveness of Mike's greatest moment of physical triumph
the pudding is delicious

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8774 on: June 28, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »

FYI: The term "black beauty" was also extended to include Biphetamine-T, which was a ridiculously abusable mixture of the aforementioned amphetamines, plus methaqualone (aka Quaalude). Both Biphetamine mixtures were available in 12.5mg and 20mg tablets.
See God, Kai