Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2896553 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9690 on: February 14, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »
Dave Wyndorf's personal perspective on Rock History is fascinating. I found Shrapnel on the YouTubes, and they're delightful.

Shrapnel "Combat Love" Nov. 1980 on Cable TV

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9691 on: February 14, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
Huh, pretty good.  I haven't gotten to that part of the show yet; did he mention that Lester Bangs wrote about them in his somewhat-notorious piece "The White Noise Supremacists"?  Bangs was ambivalent but did compliment them on "a stage act that could make them as popular as Kiss."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9692 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
Dave Wyndorf's personal perspective on Rock History is fascinating. I found Shrapnel on the YouTubes, and they're delightful.

Shrapnel "Combat Love" Nov. 1980 on Cable TV

Mystery solved! Tom played this song several weeks ago but didn't include it when he back-announced the set.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9693 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »
Re throwing stuff in dumpsters: I used to lease a storage space in Hightstown, NJ when I was between homes.  One day I threw some boxes in what I thought was the storage space's dumpster.  Out of nowhere, this guy in a pickup truck began screaming at me, telling me that it was his business and that I could "probably expect a complaint against" me.  You have to assume he spent his days monitoring his trash container for scofflaws.  That does not explain, however, why he proceeded to follow me in his truck several miles down Route 33.  That's still a mystery to me.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9694 on: February 15, 2013, 08:34:31 AM »
Tom forgot to specify that the New Jersey band with the misleading name spelled their name "FREE DRINX."  With an "X."

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9695 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
I noticed it during the Low Times interview, and in this weeks show it was inescapable: Dave Wyndorf's voice sounds exactly like Fredericks' (ONPR) voice!

ChooChoo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9696 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
Greggulator, i have a funny CALVIN JOHNSON story.

In 1992 i went to see Beat Happening headline a bill of SubPop bands at the Wetlands.  While I was waiting to go inside a bouncer pushed a guy out the door by his belt and the back collar of his shirt, and yelled,

"...and don't come back till ya learn some MANNERS!"

I thought, "That looked like Calvin Johnson."

A couple bands later, he took the stage.  Calvin Johnson had been thrown out of his own gig.  Still wish I knew what he did.

ChooChoo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9697 on: February 17, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
best show dirtbags in bold type:

iggy is a dirtbag.  mark arm is a dirtbag.  john mellencamp is no dirtbag.  dennis wilson is a dirtbag.  patti smith is a dirtbag.  gg is a dirtbag.  bryan ferry is a fancy dirtbag.  paul westerberg is no dirtbag.  dee dee ramone is a dirtbag.  mike patton is no dirtbag.  lemmy is a dirtbag.  tad doyle is a dirtbag,  but low on the list.  a.p. mike says stiv bators is a dirtbag.  tom and dave wyndorf were too busy enthusing about alan vega to declare him a dirtbag, but he is.  mitch mitchell from GbV is a dirtbag.  david lee roth is more of an aspirational dirtbag.  wyndorf rightly points out that roth modeled himself after...  jim "dandy" mangrum, a real dirtbag.  bon scott is australia's dirtbag.  luther campbell is no dirtbag.  jarvis cocker is no dirtbag.  question mark is a dirtbag.  jeff "monoman" conolly is a dirtbag.  dennis thompson is the biggest dirtbag in the MC5.  axl rose is no dirtbag.  if GnR had a dirtbag it was izzy stradlinjohnny thunders is a dirtbag.  is mick mars a dirtbag?  david peel is a dirtbag.  willie nelson is a dirtbag.  neil young is canada's dirtbag.  nick oliveri is a dirtbag.  the caller that suggested "the whole band 'sleep'" got hung up on. (though i personally support that suggestion.)   bruce loose is no dirtbag.  donald fagen is no dirtbag.  lee ving is no dirtbag.  tom had no opinion of billy milano of S.O.D.  the ultimate jersey dirtbag is bruce kulickspringsteen in '73 was a dirtbag.  zak wylde is no dirtbag.  fred durst is no dirtbag.  that guy from creed is no dirtbag, no matter how he behaved at the cake shop

thanks dirtbag DAVE WYNDORF. wish i had been listening on tuesday so i coulda asked him about dirtbag mitch hedberg's monster magnet joke.

i'd nominate

helios creed of chrome

gibby haynes

larry lifeless (seen here with J mascis, arguably a dirtbag himself)

mark e. smith.

and besides being an amiable best show caller, michael k. is the best kind of dirtbag.

not that clay

« Reply #9698 on: February 17, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
That was one of my favorite Best Shows ever. Super fun and super interesting!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9699 on: February 17, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Yeah, I was kind of surprised nobody suggested Gibby.  Of course, Tom doesn't like the Butthole Surfers and doubtless would have heave-ho'ed the poor fool who called it in, but still, a dirtbag's a dirtbag.

Not to second-guess anybody (no, not at all) but I don't really think Neil Young quite fits--not sleazy enough.  He's like a lintbag or something.  I think I would have made an exception to the "no bands" rule and just put Crazy Horse in there--those guys are just a bunch of factory sealed dirtbags.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9700 on: February 18, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »
The first minute or so of the TAD DOCUMENTARY qualifies Mr. Doyle as a top tier dirtbag. Stiv claimed to car surf, Tad did it.

http://youtu.be/WEAezTt5-TQ

Punk should be overrepresented. First ballot dirtbags:

Wendy O. Williams

Darby Crash

Slaughterhouse Bob Madigan

Sakevi G.I.S.M.

and Beautiful Bert

While we're at it Shannon Selberg from COWS must qualify as at least a second division dirtbag.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #9701 on: February 19, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »
If any of The Replacements were to be given dirtbag status I think it would be Bob Stinson.

Other dirtbag nominees: Keith Morris, Cliff Burton and Jon Spencer.

Greggulator

« Reply #9702 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »
I haven't seen Enlightened yet but I love Mike White so much. I think he might be the most underrated comedy writer America has. He's been involved in so many great projects. Even though Freaks and Geeks is considered an Apatow/Feig work, Mike White was a major showrunner and contributor to a show I consider the greatest of all time. School of Rock also holds up really well. I also love the hell out of Orange County with Colin Hanks. That movie is such a great teen coming-of-age tale that's slept on because of the dreck that is that genre.

I really can't wait to see this.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9703 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

SJPete

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9704 on: February 20, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
Tom's Monkees tour pitch to Andrew Sandoval had me literallly in tears:

"I would’ve had them do Pool It, twice. They would’ve came out, did Hey Hey, We’re The Monkees,  right into Pool It, D.W. Washburn, Pool It backwards….and then they end with a video clip montage as they leave. And they ride go-karts up the aisle, literally out of the door of the theater. Thoughts? Anything?"
"Too local? It's gotta take place somewhere! What am I supposed to do this show on the astral plane?!"