Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818579 times)

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6750 on: July 28, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
Jen Kirkman's response to Tom calling her a positive person.
I haven't been able to listen for several weeks, this was an outstanding show! Laurie and Geneva were in my humble opinion, top notch. Ernesto was amazing. There were too many moments to mention...that guy and his band name...

High Rise Denudes

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6751 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
yeesh!  the story that "Big Z" tells drags on forever and is incredibly dull.  is this what passes for an exciting anecdote in this guy's life??

on the bright side, at least it's not being told in the grating puppet voice :)

JRN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6752 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »
I liked Z-Man's call. But then I tend to enjoy anything Wackiman-related.

Tom cold-calling Laurie's dad is one of the most unexpected and hilarious things I have ever heard. That's got to be a Best Show instant classic.
I got you stuck off the realness
We be the infamous
You heard of us
Official Newbridge murderers

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6753 on: July 29, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
I found it interesting that two people (Laurie & Big Z) said "I'm not like Spike!" I think usually only one person says that per episode.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6754 on: July 29, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »
I found it interesting that two people (Laurie & Big Z) said "I'm not like Spike!" I think usually only one person says that per episode.
Thank goodness, Laurie will NEVER be like Spike. Spike is an original. NO SUBSTITUTES!!!!
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Jeff in Seattle

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6755 on: July 29, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »
This show was a D+, but calling doddy made it a C-.

That shrill laughter from Lori was unbearable.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6756 on: July 29, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
This show was a D+, but calling doddy made it a C-.

That shrill laughter from Lori was unbearable.

I would agree with you but it turned a corner when the director of Big Z's movie called and Tom gave it to him for not sending him an advanced DVR followed by his treatment of the guy from Mit Hamine. A last minute turn around

The Doddy call was surreal.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6757 on: July 29, 2011, 01:38:55 PM »
When the director of the movie about the comic store called in, was I hearing things or did Big Z say in the background "that's not really him"?

I think Big Z really did say that, but he was speaking to the director and telling him that Tom's version of Wally was "not really him." He was afraid the guy thought he was talking to Big Z as Wally.
Tom's Wally is uncanny.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6758 on: July 29, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
This is now officially the most controversial episode of the Best Show since the early days.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6759 on: July 29, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »
I get a lot of enjoyment from Laurie's laugh.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6760 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
I think this past show belongs in the hall of fame.

As has been mentioned, the Ernesto/Doddy call, Tom's Wally Wackiman impression, and the Southern Gentlemen's summit were all top shelf.

That said, James from Southeast PA made the show for me. "Just bag my groceries, son, or I'll beat the fudge outta you."
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6761 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
I think this past show belongs in the hall of fame.

As has been mentioned, the Ernesto/Doddy call, Tom's Wally Wackiman impression, and the Southern Gentlemen's summit were all top shelf.

That said, James from Southeast PA made the show for me. "Just bag my groceries, son, or I'll beat the fudge outta you."
can we talk about how Bathroom Boy pronounces "show" as "sew". Done.

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6762 on: July 29, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »

YES

I'm pretty sure James from Southeast PA is my favorite caller.

brendan!

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6763 on: July 29, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
Tom was a total bully this week. Every caller had to apologize for themselves. That Michael K story was even interesting.

Kormod

« Reply #6764 on: July 29, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
The A.V. Club better start digging into the coffers (http://www.avclub.com/articles/week-of-july-2127,59674/):

THE BEST
The Best Show On WFMU
An episode low on celebrity cameos (other than Jen Kirkman briefly calling in to laugh like Witchy Poo) might seem like an omen to some, but to those who have always pondered what the cult of callers are really all about on The Best Show, this is your chance to hear it percolate into mad laughter. Regular callers (and gratuitous gigglers) Laurie from Miami and Geneva the former protégé both make in-studio appearances, and their relentlessly positive vibes goad Tom Scharpling’s entertaining brutality toward callers into the red. Zach Caron of the tragically named band Mit Hamine calls in once again (Scharpling does him the favor of only insulting their name), and Laurie’s “Doddy” leads to highly amusing discussion of how obnoxiously wealthy Laurie’s family is and from where she gets her unsettling Mega Witchy Poo cackle. Zach Woliner, brother of emerging comedy raconteur Jason Woliner, calls in only to be completely humiliated both for his behavior at a friend’s Comic Con screening and his puppet’s creepy behavior toward women.