Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818677 times)

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6810 on: August 06, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6811 on: August 07, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
The film that makes me cry is Isao Takahata's Grave of The Fireflies. I even fill up when explaining it to people.

Grave of the Fireflies - Subtitled Trailer in English

EDIT: This came up on the show seconds after I posted.

badgrammer

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6812 on: August 07, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
The film that makes me cry is Isao Takahata's Grave of The Fireflies. I even fill up when explaining it to people.

Grave of the Fireflies - Subtitled Trailer in English

EDIT: This came up on the show seconds after I posted.

Glad I'm not the only one who knows it! It's pretty heartbreaking, but an amazing, beautiful movie all the same.
"Don't be near me."
www.twitter.com/badgrammer

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6813 on: August 07, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
Yeah, it killed me too. Along the same emotional lines, try King of Masks. You'll hate me forever later!

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6814 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one who knows it! It's pretty heartbreaking, but an amazing, beautiful movie all the same.

It is. To think that this was on a double bill with My Neigbour Totoro - what an afternoon that would have been! I wonder which way round they showed the films? Either way it would be pretty cruel. I don't think i could care less about some silly girl who wants to visit her mum after watching fireflies. Or, vice versa, how shocking would it be to get the lovely warm feeling from Totoro crushed out of you forever by watching Fireflies straight after? It would be like "The forces of nature will protect you when you are in need...but people won't."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6815 on: August 09, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
Early favorite: Tom suggesting Mike host Faces of Massa's Tavern as Zacherle.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #6816 on: August 10, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »
Two classic hang ups:

1. "Are you still there?" "Yeah, I am." "No, you're not." *click*

2. "What's the name of your podcast?" "Yeah, it's called the-" *click*

Also, hearing Matt from Auburn, AL, get in as the last call.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6817 on: August 10, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
vape and nugz. classic.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #6818 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »
Tom never comments on how Rick bought the copy of Self Portrait for $50. I got it for $10 and have seen it go for $5.

Greggulator

« Reply #6819 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
No talk about THE BAN?

I think it's a great idea. Hopefully some new good callers will develop. It's really good for the show. I've gladly accepted a two-month ban.

As far as other things: Maggie and Tom's discussion of Phillies family clothing was great. I also loved "What's the name of your podcast? CLICK"
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #6820 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
I think the ban is a good idea. I am a next-day archive listener and I never really feel like I can contribute so I don't know how fun it is to call. But the thing I love the most about the shows are the topics and when Tom churns through calls. So obviously I'm not really into the long calls by regulars. When they are on-topic it's great, but rambling, off-topic calls filled with a bunch of overthanking and inside jokes are boring for the listeners. I hope I said that as innocently as I mean it.

betheboy

« Reply #6821 on: August 10, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
I think the ban is a good idea. I am a next-day archive listener and I never really feel like I can contribute so I don't know how fun it is to call. But the thing I love the most about the shows are the topics and when Tom churns through calls. So obviously I'm not really into the long calls by regulars. When they are on-topic it's great, but rambling, off-topic calls filled with a bunch of overthanking and inside jokes are boring for the listeners. I hope I said that as innocently as I mean it.

I love the regular callers but I think it's good to open the door to others. Who knows when the next Mit Hamine is going to be on hold. I may even get in on the action, as soon as I find out if the ban applies to irregular callers.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6822 on: August 10, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
I like the ban idea, in that I agree with Paul that some of the regular calls can be stale at times (but totally great other times.) I'm sure there are plenty of people who can step up. That said I am also glad that Jason is not banned as he kills it every time.

Also, having called in for the first time yesterday, I did not realise how long the hold queue was. Not complaining about that, just for some reason I thought it would be like 10 minutes tops, which was perhaps naive.

"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

betheboy

« Reply #6823 on: August 10, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »
Tom's slightly delayed "What" to Jimmy from Carney, the caller who was rating Vanessa Bayer's attractiveness, was great because I picture Tom wanting to cut him off immediately but letting him spool out before schooling him and doing an impression.   

Riley

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6824 on: August 10, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
Don't know if I missed this or if you guys already talked about it, but do we know the Led Zeppelin book that Tom was talking about? Sounds pretty awesome. :)