Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2830154 times)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6795 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »
yeesh!  the story that "Big Z" tells drags on forever and is incredibly dull.  is this what passes for an exciting anecdote in this guy's life??

on the bright side, at least it's not being told in the grating puppet voice :)

Yeesh!  It was building to the crescendo of how things ended up, and the humiliation of the end seemed worthy of a call.  Tom, as he is known (and has every right) to do, took control of the conversation, and it carried on in that fashion from there.  I had a lot of fun laughing at myself, and I think when Anthony (surprisingly) called in and then went back and forth with Tom about the DVD, it only added to the conversation, before the double heave-ho.  Sorry you don't like Wally's voice, but I guess he's not for everyone.  Tom seems to like it, or at the very least, imitating it.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6796 on: August 04, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
I liked Z-Man's call. But then I tend to enjoy anything Wackiman-related.

Tom cold-calling Laurie's dad is one of the most unexpected and hilarious things I have ever heard. That's got to be a Best Show instant classic.

Thanks, man!  Though that call/story was only tangentially-related to Wally, as he was with me, in the bag, I appreciate your support, on behalf of the both of us.  I guess it became wore Wally-related when Tom took on his impression and those kind of antics ensued.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6797 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
When the director of the movie about the comic store called in, was I hearing things or did Big Z say in the background "that's not really him"?

I think Big Z really did say that, but he was speaking to the director and telling him that Tom's version of Wally was "not really him." He was afraid the guy thought he was talking to Big Z as Wally.
Tom's Wally is uncanny.

It IS pretty great, and clearly the best I've heard.  It made my mom crack up.  I took umbrage, however, when she told me he sounds more like Wally than Wally.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6798 on: August 04, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
The Doddy call was so legendary. Tom's recent thing about asking callers to get a parent to call in paid off big time. And Ernesto went with it and was an excellent sport.

The Laurie/Geneva laughing was simultaneously irritating and infectious.

The constant "What's that Mike?" was great. No mercy for anyone this week. I loved that Jen Kirkman (and possibly some others) just hung pre-emptively.

I feel like it's time for an on-air Mike anecdote soon.

The Big Z story was good and all but I'm not sure a lot of callers would last long enough to get through it all.

I love the constant AV Club Podmass baiting and that they are refusing to take the bait and mention it any reviews. (Also they like a lot of average/crappy podcasts)

Yes, I'm honestly proud that I made it through.  I've never been too confident in my own calls, as myself, but I felt that this was a topic/story worth being on The Best Show and getting Tom's take.  I'm glad he let it all not only go through, but also have fun with it, even at my expense, which was in the spirit of the self-deprecation of the story/call.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6799 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
I think the Z Man is great but that went on FOREVER.

Thanks?  As I said to someone else, I let Tom take the lead and guide the call/story, as his position as host allows.  If he wanted me to cut to the chase, I sure as heck would have.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6800 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
I thought that show was awesome. I really need to re-listen.

Other highlights:
-I liked Big Z's call, too, which led to a great trifecta heave-ho (but I don't think Wally deserved it). The director telling Tom he maybe able to buy the documentary soon and Tom's reaction was awesome.

I'm glad to see you liked it.  I think you appreciated it for what it was worth, and I appreciate your appreciation.  I also don't think Wally deserved it, as he wasn't involved, and Tom has essentially Heave-Hoing his own vocal impression.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6801 on: August 04, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
Sorry if it looks like I totally hijacked the thread.  I was just catching up and seeing the listenership(?)'s take on my call, and I kinda figured I'd address them as I saw them.  Thanks for hearing me out.  You may now resume saying my call went on way too long.

-Zach (Big Z)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6802 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
I believe the expression is "SFTO," or "Sorry for the Octuple."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6803 on: August 04, 2011, 09:48:52 PM »
Sorry if it looks like I totally hijacked the thread.  I was just catching up and seeing the listenership(?)'s take on my call, and I kinda figured I'd address them as I saw them.  Thanks for hearing me out.  You may now resume saying my call went on way too long.

-Zach (Big Z)

I like Big Z but that thread went on FOREVER.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6804 on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
  • That said, James from Southeast PA made the show for me. "Just bag my groceries, son, or I'll beat the fudge outta you."

I've been pretty James-neutral in the past, but this story won me over, even if it's not true.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6805 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
 What the Hell was Laurie blithering about? I have no idea where the radio station is.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6806 on: August 05, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

-Zach (Big Z)

I like Big Z but that thread went on FOREVER.

Ha!  Nice one!

-Zach (Big Z)

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6807 on: August 06, 2011, 01:06:24 AM »
I thought Big Zs call was the best, especially knowing how passionate he is about movie super heroes costumes, because they don't have to look dumb, they really don't.
In other news: Spike in studio asap!
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6808 on: August 06, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Dear everybody -

Can we not make it THAT easy for people to know where the station is?

And it's not an open door for anybody to come down when I'm on the air. So please don't invite others down, jokingly or not.

Tom.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6809 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Apologies.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009