Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810573 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7875 on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
That's a series of questionable decisions, sure enough.  How did he choose that particular vocal cadence, for example?

However, brokeNCYDE is still the worst thing I've ever come across.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7876 on: January 09, 2012, 07:57:35 PM »
Rage Against The Machine covering Street Fighting Man might be the absolute worst song I've ever heard in my life.

Rage Against the Machine Street fighting man

My life was better before I knew this existed.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7877 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »

Hit the nail on the head. I always feel ashamed about that band because as a younger man with less refined taste, I partook in some terrible screamo so I feel like I contributed in some small way to a genre that eventually spat out a band as awful as brokencyde.

My head is heavy with shame.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7878 on: January 09, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »

Hit the nail on the head. I always feel ashamed about that band because as a younger man with less refined taste, I partook in some terrible screamo so I feel like I contributed in some small way to a genre that eventually spat out a band as awful as brokencyde.

Chin up, sir!  We all have such things in our repertoires.  Shame properly belongs with those who never move on or who try to deny their past.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7879 on: January 10, 2012, 08:14:55 AM »

My son, you have no idea...

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7880 on: January 10, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
Rage Against The Machine covering Street Fighting Man might be the absolute worst song I've ever heard in my life.

worse than their cover of "Maggies Farm?"

Vance NOT the puppet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7881 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
Game over, people. Prog AND perfectly show related.

Osibisa - Chooboi (Heave Ho)

I wonder if Osibisa counts as Prog just because Roger Dean did the cover art and logo for Wcyaya and people often mistake it for a foreign "Yes" bootleg? I would have to say World or Afro-Pop if they need to be labeled...
You can't oo your own burn!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7882 on: January 10, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
Game over, people. Prog AND perfectly show related.

Osibisa - Chooboi (Heave Ho)

I wonder if Osibisa counts as Prog just because Roger Dean did the cover art and logo for Wcyaya and people often mistake it for a foreign "Yes" bootleg? I would have to say World or Afro-Pop if they need to be labeled...
For me, when I was 14, it was prog. So it always will be.

Vance NOT the puppet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7883 on: January 10, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Free Hand, by Gentle Giant.

Myself and my puppet name-brother would certainly like some GG... not that Allin character... but I'd opt for something like this: Prologue from Three Friends... just amazing the further it goes!

Gentle Giant - Prologue

Vance NOT the puppet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7884 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

With all respect, and I'm certainly impressed that you were listening to them at 14, I don't think a mash-up of familiar Prog elements presented in some unfamiliar setting, i.e. Afro-Pop, translates into Prog... but, what do I know? I still insist that Joe Jackson is New Wave.

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7885 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »

worse than their cover of "Maggies Farm?"

Oh dear god...did they do an entire album of terrible covers?  I made it through about 30 seconds of the Maggie's Farm cover before I bailed.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7886 on: January 10, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »

With all respect, and I'm certainly impressed that you were listening to them at 14, I don't think a mash-up of familiar Prog elements presented in some unfamiliar setting, i.e. Afro-Pop, translates into Prog... but, what do I know? I still insist that Joe Jackson is New Wave.

I wasn't very musically sophisticated at age 14, but it had very long songs with sophisticated rhythm structures, with occasional beats added or dropped from the meter for herky-jerky effect. I mean, I guess I still think Santana's Caravanserai, and Welcome, and Santana and McLaughlin's Love Devotion and Surrender are prog, though they are probably more at some junction of jazz and rock, but it felt like prog to me. But I have a pretty broad reach. Come on up here and give Davey a hug!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2434

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7887 on: January 10, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »
Hey, how about the original studio version of King Crimson's Red? You could even skip ahead to the 28 second mark for brevity

King Crimson - Red [Full Album]

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7888 on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »
I mean, like this guy says in the comments: "King Crimson najważniejszy zespĆ³ł po Pink Floyd w historii muzyki rockowej,a ten album potwierdza klasę tego zespołu ,najlepsza płyta grupy Roberta Frippa."

Vance NOT the puppet

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Osibisa; Prog?
« Reply #7889 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
I wasn't very musically sophisticated at age 14, but it had very long songs with sophisticated rhythm structures, with occasional beats added or dropped from the meter for herky-jerky effect. I mean, I guess I still think Santana's Caravanserai, and Welcome, and Santana and McLaughlin's Love Devotion and Surrender are prog, though they are probably more at some junction of jazz and rock, but it felt like prog to me. But I have a pretty broad reach. Come on up here and give Davey a hug!

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2434

Well played, sir... this is certainly great fodder for a future lecture from my puppet name-brother.

Also, I'm somewhat out of the loop on the current argument status, but a friend and avid listener tells me there is much dispute over the matter of Pink Floyd; Prog? I would rather liberally opt "yes" they are. Not by a strictest definition of complex melodies etc. but certainly for their inarguable ability to craft innovative and experimental sounds into song.