Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828941 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #7845 on: January 04, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
Going from the thoughtful and introspective bit about the message boards to the demon-summoning invocation really killed me.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7846 on: January 04, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
Yes to the multiple sing-alongs/overs! Hilarious.

I'm really glad Tom laid it out on the table last night. I feel the need to share. Been listening to TBS since 2001. Found it by accident, waiting in the car at JFK in the dead of winter and belly-laughing at this wild show. I've been confused as to why Tom has been getting all this strange vitriol by people. After listening to Tom share last night, perhaps part of it comes down to people being insecure and jealous/envious, which are rough emotions to deal with when projected at you. The show started grass-roots and under-the-radar, and now obviously some people can't handle it becoming what it is today, which is weird.

Not to get all self-righteous and maudlin, but keep it up Tom and Mike. You guys are genuine. The show is the best, and you've also turned a whole lot of people onto some great rock.

Prog on 2012.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7847 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
I love that Ted Leo is such a spaz for Adam & the Ants; Dog Eat Dog is an inspired choice for a new Get Pumped song. Might be too much of an oddball song to hear once a week, tho.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7848 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
Best: Spike attempting to Spikify the names of all the Republican contenders.

Spike seemed a little more coherent and focused than usual. Maybe the time away from the show, and/or the lack of soap operas to watch has been good for him.

Is "The Chew" really an actual show on television? That's the dumbest name I've ever heard.

Worst: The guy who suggested Nu Shooz and Swing Out Sister as theme song contenders.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7849 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »
Tom's story about what AP Mike said in regards to Former Call Screener Dave's tires getting slashed - "I wonder how that could have happened"
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7850 on: January 04, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
i didn't want to start a new thread to post this but when tom kept saying about asking for new songs to get everyone fired up, this is the first thing that came to mind

Funky Green Dogs - Fired Up (extended club dance mix)

just me?

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7851 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
I didn't get to hear the rest of show after I called in. Is my nomination for "I Got A Right" still alive for this year's theme song?

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7852 on: January 05, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7853 on: January 05, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
Tommy Schrapnel's a pretty good nickname for the Kid.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7854 on: January 05, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
relistening to the show at work: has anyone noticed Tom's Zack de la Roche could double as an Adam Sandler impression, ala Sen. McCain and AP Mike?
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

lastplaneout

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7855 on: January 05, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
The Karn Evil 9 bit was great! I loved the fact that Tom was able to hum the entire instrumental keyboard part from memory. Any normal person would have said something like, "Welcome back my friends... blah, blah, blah...", but Tom went with the Keith Emerson keyboard interlude instead.

bigoteetoe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7856 on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
When Tom was talking about how he didn't like the bleeped version of Kick Out The Jam, I immediately thought of this song that is heavily beeped. I think the beeping makes this song significantly better than the original.

Too $hort - Ain't Nothin' But A Word To Me (feat. Ice Cube) (Clean Version)

The quantity of beeping is hilarious. Reminiscent of the Censored Sesame Street Count "I Like to Beep"
the pudding is delicious

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7857 on: January 06, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Really hoping that RATM karaoke becomes a regular feature.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7858 on: January 07, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »
Even though my call kind of a bust, I do think "No Time" by The Saints would work. The guitar riff is a scorcher and the "Got no time for messing around" hook speaks for itself:

The Saints - No Time (7")

I don't know why the only version on youtube is from a super-noisy single, but you can still hear the song.

I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7859 on: January 07, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Come on, people, the new theme HAS TO be prog. I nominate Supper's Ready, by Genesis. If not that, Free Hand, by Gentle Giant.

Genesis - Supper's Ready

Gentle Giant BBC 1978 - Free Hand