Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810667 times)

MattJohnson

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8040 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
I was dying of laughter at work hearing Gary call for Mike's attention: "Hey Mike? Miiiiike?"

Oh man, when Tom/Gary kept doing this I thought I was going to burst. It's awesome that he obviously knew as he was doing it how instantly hilarious it was, and thus kept playing it up more and more, growing increasingly plaintive.

casualobserver

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8041 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
Yeah, that [onion] review is odd.

The article also daftly picked a quote-of-the-week from one Tom immediately attributed to someone else. Granted he delivered it, so their re-attribution is technically true? This might only bother me.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8042 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
Gary's gonna get a swelled head, but I lost it at "Neeson does it again!"
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8043 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
I love the shows where Tom really sounds like he's having fun, in spite of having to deal with what sound like the most medicated callers since that one episode of Depravity's Rainbow.

"Hey, Mike! Miiiiiiiike!" will NEVER get old.

Thanks for the kind words about "Y'allbegone Pond."
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8044 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
http://www.avclub.com/articles/week-of-jan-26feb-1,68765/

Is it fair to say that it’s a little hypocritical that Tom Scharpling will let Kurt Vile call up the show and ramble on about whatever he wants, but will then turn around and make fun of Mit Hamine whenever they call? Is it some weird form of guerilla marketing where you call up Scharpling, let him make fun of you, and then in a year you’ll be popular? It doesn’t make sense, the whole “Scharpling vs. a band that has fewer than 150 fans on Facebook” thing, but that’s really the only complaint this week. With the caller who pleads with Scharpling to hang up on him, the father-to-be asking for name advice, and some choice hang-ups, nearly everything about this show is good. Also, what’s with people calling up The Best Show to talk football? When did this become a thing? [JD]

Seriously, what is this review?

Is it fair to say that it's a little hypocritical that Tom will allow Jon Wurster to call in as a citizen of Newbridge NJ and let him stay on for up to an hour, but when I call in wanting to do my comedy bits about a fictional town in NJ he shuts me down right away? Clearly the credo of the Best Show is "All callers get treated equally no matter what."

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8045 on: February 04, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
I totally love the idea of a sitcom starring George Noory, Michio Kaku, and Ed Dames. That would be awesome. The only way it would be better would to add occasional cameos from Richard C. Hoagland or Robert Ghost Wolf (the BEST bad Injun name evah!)... Maybe Danion Brinkley...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8046 on: February 04, 2012, 06:13:17 PM »
Not finished with the podcast yet, but so far the worst has to be Reagan. Why IS she so malleable? The first time she called I thought she was just making some misguided ironic joke, but I don't think that's the case. It boggles the mind that someone in college is trying so hard to become a stereotype rather than just being who you are. Kind of sad, really. Now I feel bad, I take it back, best caller.

As a Texan, I kind of love how on the nose her call was this week.  That is sort of how you would expect an A&M freshman to react to going to an indie rock show in Austin.  A&M is a very conservative school (home of the George Bush Presidential library and the propeller of the Enola Gay) that has a much higher focus on "traditions" than any other state school here in Texas.  I think the school sort of demands a malleability that maybe other colleges don't.  For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_a%26m_traditions

My favorite part of the show was the impressions.  My least favorite was all the calls asking "why do you keep playing Sweet Caroline?"
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8047 on: February 04, 2012, 06:46:51 PM »
The only thing I remember about Texas A&M traditions was how upset some people were at the canceling of that giant log thing that killed all those students.  I liken it somewhat to the mindless defense of JoePa.

Herewith, a conservative college MadLib:

"Just because [the bonfires/JoePa] [killed and maimed a bunch of people/allowed another generation of children to be abused by a monster] we shouldn't [discontinue this savagely dangerous activity/fire this superannuated football coach].

Aside: you should read all about the bonfire tradition at A&M if you want to confirm many of your impressions of A&M, Texas, and of course former "redpot" Rick Perry.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8048 on: February 04, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Hey FOT,
    After getting the approval of my wife, I posted this online, so you all could see firsthand what I was talking about:

Sweet Caroline-Zach & Veronica Woliner's Wedding

I hope that worked, and that you appreciate it.

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8049 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
Okay, it didn't work.  I've seen people embed videos in here, before.  How do you do it?  Thanks!

-Zach (Big Z)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8050 on: February 04, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Okay, it didn't work.  I've seen people embed videos in here, before.  How do you do it?  Thanks!

-Zach (Big Z)

After doing a little investigating, now it DOES work.  Enjoy!

-Zach (Big Z)

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8051 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
getting drunk off cake

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8052 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »
I love the shows where Tom really sounds like he's having fun, in spite of having to deal with what sound like the most medicated callers since that one episode of Depravity's Rainbow.

There will be more updates from Y'allbegone Pond, right?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8053 on: February 04, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »

There will be more updates from Y'allbegone Pond, right?

I sure hope so.  I had no idea it would be even better than I imagined.  Jason from Huntsville keeps finding ways to top himself (which sounds weird but isnt supposed to).
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8054 on: February 05, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
Y'allbegone Pond was hilarious.  Only to be outdone by -->

the Gary/Mike face-off, which I have found mildly addicting.  I've played the entire sequence back at least five times.  I find the temporary decrease of oxygen to my brain caused by ten minutes of nonstop out-loud laughing induces feelings of giddy light-headedness.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau