Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818499 times)

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8580 on: May 25, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
^Agreeed
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8581 on: May 27, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
I really loved Tom's giggling when Gethard explained all the insane details of his quest.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8582 on: May 27, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8583 on: May 27, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
The lyrics to "L.A. Podcast."

L.A. podcast in the afternoon

Well I just got onto iTunes about an hour ago
Looking at the podcasts on my browser
Figuring out what I'm gonna download tonight
Download tonight, ooh
Download tonight, yeah!

L.A. podcast in the afternoon
L.A. podcast on my iPad

The same eight comedians on everyone's show
How is this any better than radio?

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8584 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
YOU GOT BOPPED BY A SQUIRREL!!
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

mackro

« Reply #8585 on: May 30, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
- "Hey AP Mike", clearly.
- the The Band/Last Waltz rant.  On the occasion when Tom and I have the same exact musical opinion, it's so satisfying to hear such a brilliant rant.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8586 on: May 30, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »
The end of the PBR call had me laughing hysterically.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8587 on: May 30, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
- "Hey AP Mike", clearly.
- the The Band/Last Waltz rant.  On the occasion when Tom and I have the same exact musical opinion, it's so satisfying to hear such a brilliant rant.

I disagree with Tom's assessment of The Band, but I do agree that, in general, serious, self-important musicians are a huge turnoff. Music that lacks a sense of humor or sense of fun is music that I won't listen to. It's why I can't really get into bands like Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Joy Division, MBV, and other outfits of that ilk. 

"Hey AP Mike" (and the Gary The Squirrel character) might be the best thing that Tom has done in the last three or four years. And that's really saying something.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Drew D

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8588 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:10 PM »
I liked The Band rant because I always love a good Tom music rant, but I find The Band is Too Serious to be a weird argument, unless you just refer to Scorcese's mythologizing of them. Danko was a goof, Levon was chill, Garth was quiet and sweet, and sure Robbie was an asshole, but that's not rare for rock (Lou Reed, etc.).  Plus their actual music, or at least the first few good records, is full of goofy, high school-music-nerd antics while a lot of that era was the beginning of the too-cool-for-school posturing of Bowie, Reed and such. I love all that music, it's just a different approach.   Love CCR too, but a lot of their ballads come across as super serious.

Drew D

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8589 on: May 30, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »
Oh god, the Rock of Ages stuff is amazing, his Tom Cruise voice, yes!  would also love to hear more of Tom's ideas of what kind of music these weirdos listen too...

Crusherkc

« Reply #8590 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
Oh god, the Rock of Ages stuff is amazing, his Tom Cruise voice, yes!  would also love to hear more of Tom's ideas of what kind of music these weirdos listen too...

They probably have, at most 15-20 cds- stacked tastefully on a bookshelf with 10-15 NYT bestsellers ("Freakanomics"). There are plants, tastefully presented, in the vicinity.  The celebrity bought or had someone get them the cd b/c there was "that one song...the song that I was listening to when I got the idea for..." or "when I got that part".  Something like "Take Me Home" by Phil Collins (whatever fucking cd that was) or "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith (whatever cd that's from). Ran the same song through their car stereo driving up PCH or the Hills and only that song.  I can't imagine anyone in Rock of Ages owning a vinyl Spacemen 3 "Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To" on the Father Yod label, outside of Bryan Cranston.

Best: The Band/Last Waltz Rant
Worst: The Spurs caller. More sputter than spur.

PS: that celebrity cd collection...heavy on the saxophone.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

misskcat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8591 on: May 30, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »
There were no worst moments in last night's show. I laughed my makeup off before the back announcement of the songs! Hope we get the official word soon on whether next week is show 500-- a great opportunity for some listening parties, I'd think.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8592 on: May 30, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »
Please tell me Hey AP Mike will be available for purchase in some form in the very near future.

Greggulator

« Reply #8593 on: May 30, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
This is on the short list of best episodes ever. Tom's rants about The Band. An awesome PBR call. I very much enjoyed the call about Andrew "Dice" Clay exploring bags. And, naturally, Gary and the Heartthrobs.

Kudos, Tom.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8594 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »
"I'm reading on this jazz bass message board. Don't ever go to that."

"Get my spank mags!"

"Now you know why I did what I did, biographer."

"Let's just build the dumbest collection for you."