Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819180 times)

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9165 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:54 PM »
Sorry if it's been said already, but Fredericks.

More Fredericks. 

Even soundboard Fredericks will do.

Even in the best Best Shows, the guy is a beam of fascinating light.  And to hear Tom so disarmed, and so obviously enjoying himself... that is always fun.

Your life needs his podcast

My life has it!  But he's a different beast altogether when he's with Tom.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9166 on: September 20, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
Is there a proble with the podcast this week? I need my weekly Tom!
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9167 on: September 20, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
Better listen to an old one then--Todd-o-Phonic Todd filled in.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #9168 on: September 20, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
AP Mike was there too.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9169 on: September 21, 2012, 06:49:22 AM »
Better listen to an old one then--Todd-o-Phonic Todd filled in.

Aha, that would explain it I suppose. Who is Todd, don't recall him doing a fill in whilst I've been listening? Will there ever be a podcast of this episode?
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9170 on: September 21, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

Aha, that would explain it I suppose. Who is Todd, don't recall him doing a fill in whilst I've been listening? Will there ever be a podcast of this episode?

Todd plays pinball with Tom.  He is also a regular fill-in DJ for other shows. He's plainly second-rate so Ken Freeman, WFMU manager, has never promoted him to full-time DJ. I'm just kidding--that is actually Todd's schtick when he fills in.  He's probably too busy to do it full-time.  He's a very good music DJ, and very funny (catch him during the marathon when he often co-hosts with other DJ's).  He is a revered figure in the New Jersey music scene not only for his WFMU support but because he runs (and resuscitated) Maxwell's--the music venue/bar/restaurant in Hoboken. It's where they have the Hoof and Mouth party at the end of WFMU's marathon.

His fill-in shows are archived on WFMU website. I don't know about the podcasts.

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9171 on: September 21, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
Todd-o-Phonic Todd is an amazing DJ, always playing the best of the old stuff along with a handful of great new stuff, but most importantly he's got old-school RADIO PERSONALITY like Wolfman Jack, and he gets super-amped during his mic breaks (his enthusiasm is contagious).

I was really surprised that he was guesting for Tom and even more surprised that he tried to make it a call-in show even though that is plainly not his forte. It's a fun listen though, as he struggles through, it seems like he's never even heard the Best Show before?

Anyway, check out any of Todd's fill-in shows, they are all great:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/TA

Fill-in DJ's are often better than regular DJ's cuz they don't have to do it every week they can save up the good stuff and keep the show killer. Another favorite is Mike Sin - pick any archive and it'll be great:

http://wfmu.org/playlists/MV

WFMU KILLS SO HARD!

Todd plays pinball with Tom.  He is also a regular fill-in DJ for other shows. He's plainly second-rate so Ken Freeman, WFMU manager, has never promoted him to full-time DJ. I'm just kidding--that is actually Todd's schtick when he fills in.  He's probably too busy to do it full-time.  He's a very good music DJ, and very funny (catch him during the marathon when he often co-hosts with other DJ's).  He is a revered figure in the New Jersey music scene not only for his WFMU support but because he runs (and resuscitated) Maxwell's--the music venue/bar/restaurant in Hoboken. It's where they have the Hoof and Mouth party at the end of WFMU's marathon.

His fill-in shows are archived on WFMU website. I don't know about the podcasts.

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9172 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
I gotta say that when Tom leaves, as long as AP Mike is there, the show will not dip in quality very much.  Although Steve was a better call screener.

jakeumms

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9173 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:02 PM »
Spike choked pretty hard on the 9/11 episode.  What about "Kevin Cost-snore?"

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9174 on: September 22, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »
Thanks Gravy Boat and Mostly Meat. I will check out Todd's archives. Cheers!

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9175 on: September 24, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
Top shelf show!

The Albini call was awesome and fascinating. He def. had an 'edge' to him, and lobbed a few quasi-zingers at Tom. But Tom stood his ground (esp. in defense of basketball), and made him genuinely laugh on more than one occasion. The Asperger's/baseball thing made so much sense.

It would be awesome if it could be a once-a-month call-in, with 'the other Steve' on the other line laughing at everything.

I played this for a mutual friend of ours who hadn't heard it yet the other day and it was the first time I listened to it since we made the call. What was great was Albini, after hanging up, said to me "How was it? Was it bad? When should I call in again??"

stepheninchicago

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9176 on: September 24, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Tom: "Who's talking about The Santa Clause?! You must be hanging out with Tim Allen."
30-year-old caller: "I'm not saying I'm not." [pause...click]

Loved that.

yep...that lady was gold.

Kormod

« Reply #9177 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
Top shelf show!

The Albini call was awesome and fascinating. He def. had an 'edge' to him, and lobbed a few quasi-zingers at Tom. But Tom stood his ground (esp. in defense of basketball), and made him genuinely laugh on more than one occasion. The Asperger's/baseball thing made so much sense.

It would be awesome if it could be a once-a-month call-in, with 'the other Steve' on the other line laughing at everything.

I played this for a mutual friend of ours who hadn't heard it yet the other day and it was the first time I listened to it since we made the call. What was great was Albini, after hanging up, said to me "How was it? Was it bad? When should I call in again??"

Albini becoming a regular caller (well, let's be realistic: semi-regular caller) would be the greatest thing ever. Please get him to call in again.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9178 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »
SERIOUSLY. It was such a great call. A semi-regular thing would be mythic. Plus if Mr. Albini could be patched in to take some nerd calls about guitar pedals etc, that could go to a whole other level.

Steve, an essential condition is that you have to be on the other end of the line too. Tom and Mr. Albini would eventutally gang up against you ala AP Mike, but you're tough, you can handle it.

chetfarnsworth

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9179 on: September 26, 2012, 12:10:14 AM »
"does he smirk"