Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810689 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10095 on: June 12, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
PBR: "I never even noticed that one! I've got two ears."
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #10096 on: June 13, 2013, 12:52:04 AM »

This is the cave. It's located in Wissahickon Park.

Is that where Jesus was buried?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10097 on: June 13, 2013, 06:00:17 AM »
Jesus de la Rosa. How do you know him?

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10098 on: June 13, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »
Jesus de la Rosa. How do you know him?

Jesus de la Rosa? I think I just picked him up for my fantasy baseball team.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10099 on: June 13, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
Very nice to hear Tom speaking so warmly about Richard Pryor.  Funniest performer ever, in my book.  Well, him and Tom Waits.

Hey, I'm not the guy to do it, but shouldn't somebody take Tom's acapella rendering of "Frankie Teardrop" from a few eps back and set it to an atmospheric cicada backing track? You might even get it played on Kurt Gottschalk's show: http://spearmintmusic.blogspot.com/2013/05/send-me-your-insect-duets-wfmu-17-year.html
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10100 on: June 13, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
Very nice to hear Tom speaking so warmly about Richard Pryor.  Funniest performer ever, in my book.  Well, him and Tom Waits.

Hey, I'm not the guy to do it, but shouldn't somebody take Tom's acapella rendering of "Frankie Teardrop" from a few eps back and set it to an atmospheric cicada backing track? You might even get it played on Kurt Gottschalk's show: http://spearmintmusic.blogspot.com/2013/05/send-me-your-insect-duets-wfmu-17-year.html
Date and time. I'll go for it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Greggulator

« Reply #10101 on: June 14, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »
Some background about the cave:

The cave still stands (if a cave stands?) because it's a historic site of sorts. It was the headquarters of the Kelpius Community, who were a group of German mystics who lived in the area in the 1600s and were sort of a doomsday cult.

I don't know how big the cave appears from that photo but it's not all that big. It goes maybe eight feet back from there. However, it's REALLY dark in there, even in daylight. There's some Satanic spraypaint in there, along with usually discarded empties. I've seen one or two degenerates smoking weed in there a few times, too. I've never been in the woods near the cave that late and was pretty worried about what I might find. I thought there might be a teenage beer bash which I wouldn't be scared of. But every so often police helicopters will fly over my neighborhood and have a spotlight over the park because I assume some criminal is hiding out.

It's in Wissahickon Park. Wissahickon Park extends through all of northwest Philly (East Falls, Roxborough, Manayunk, Andorra, Chestnut Hill, Mr. Airy and Germantown) which is a gigantic expanse of land. It's bigger than Central Park by a significant margin. The Wissahickon Creek goes through the middle of it with all sorts of hiking trails that wind their way through the park. It's AWESOME. I've seen cranes and red-tailed hawks and deer within a few feet of me. My friend saw a bald eagle once. People fish in the creek. There's also a swimming hole, an Indian burial ground and a recreated old mill town.

I live right by one of the trail openings which winds past this cave. Access to the park is one of the primary reasons why I live in this section of the city.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Defective

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10102 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »
"You got any pizzas near you?"
I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #10103 on: June 15, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »

The cave still stands (if a cave stands?) because it's a historic site of sorts. It was the headquarters of the Kelpius Community, who were a group of German mystics who lived in the area in the 1600s and were sort of a doomsday cult.

I'm not buying that story. America wasn't started until 1776. So how could there be Germans here in the 1600s?

Yeah. That's what I thought!

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10104 on: June 15, 2013, 08:45:01 AM »
Best: Tom and John Hodgman talking about anything always brings great pleasure. They have a great rapport

Worst: Kaley from Brooklyn. Terrible call. If Tom is your friend, then make that call anytime in the rest of the week and not on air when we are all listening.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10105 on: June 15, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
The Advanced Frankie Teardrop Challenge involves listening to Frankie Teardrop on top of the Indian Burial Ground.

I don't know how big the cave appears from that photo but it's not all that big. It goes maybe eight feet back from there. However, it's REALLY dark in there, even in daylight. There's some Satanic spraypaint in there, along with usually discarded empties. I've seen one or two degenerates smoking weed in there a few times, too. I've never been in the woods near the cave that late and was pretty worried about what I might find. I thought there might be a teenage beer bash which I wouldn't be scared of. But every so often police helicopters will fly over my neighborhood and have a spotlight over the park because I assume some criminal is hiding out.

It's in Wissahickon Park. Wissahickon Park extends through all of northwest Philly (East Falls, Roxborough, Manayunk, Andorra, Chestnut Hill, Mr. Airy and Germantown) which is a gigantic expanse of land. It's bigger than Central Park by a significant margin. The Wissahickon Creek goes through the middle of it with all sorts of hiking trails that wind their way through the park. It's AWESOME. I've seen cranes and red-tailed hawks and deer within a few feet of me. My friend saw a bald eagle once. People fish in the creek. There's also a swimming hole, an Indian burial ground and a recreated old mill town.

I live right by one of the trail openings which winds past this cave. Access to the park is one of the primary reasons why I live in this section of the city.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10106 on: June 16, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
Tom said if he had his way things would be like a ? song--bankers running for their lives, etc....but I didn't catch the name. Cox something? Anyone catch what that was?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10107 on: June 16, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
Pretty sure it was Cock Sparrer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Sparrer.  And yeah, they're new to me too.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10108 on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »
Pretty sure it was Cock Sparrer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Sparrer.  And yeah, they're new to me too.

Both Tom and Terre T make the entirely rational and reasonable decision to pronounce sparrer as it is appears, as if it refers to sparring. However, it is a phonetic rendition of how a Londoner would pronounce 'Cock Sparrow', a term of endearment, as in 'A'right, me old cock sparrer!'. 'Sparrer' in this case rhymes with the 'para' in 'parachute'.

Incidentally, they are on as part of a big punk festival in my hometown in a couple of months... http://www.rebellionfestivals.com/2012/11/cock-sparrer-confirmed/

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10109 on: June 17, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
Thanks cavorting and jbillington...I appreciate it!