Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810689 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10125 on: June 26, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »
The Frankie Teardrop/Pigpen Rap mash was inspired, Tom's giddyness afterward put a big smile on my face. 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

gravy boat

« Reply #10126 on: June 26, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Tom's spontaneous Matt Pinfield impersonation (with quality call assist from Jon from Maplewood) was unnervingly good.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Tom's Dan-bashing, there must be ONE song he can like, right?
« Reply #10127 on: June 27, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
I know he's just trolling and "like what you like" etc...but c'mon Dan fans, can we propose one song he might not hate? What's not to like about "FM" or "Peg", for instance? As for "Hey Nineteen" he should try Jimmy Page's version, "Hey Thirteen"!
Oh yeah, I basically like everything he plays at the top of each show--the man has exquisite taste, no doubt--but those songs by the Sweet make me want to rip my ears out....are they all the same song with different words?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #10128 on: June 27, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
You don't like the Sweet but you love Steely Dan.

CASE CLOSED.

Tom.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10129 on: June 27, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
Hey man, I haved loved Led Zeppelin all my life, the Stones too, I hate the Dead, we probably (tho horrifying to you) share much of the same taste! But thanks for the response, just getting a reply out of you makes my day!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10130 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
By the way, if anyone else that frequents the board likes Steely Dan, come help me out! Don't leave me hangin'!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10131 on: June 27, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
"FM" and "Peg" are fine, but too much like the soft-jazzy thing that a lot of people identify Steely Dan with entirely and have already refused. Personally, I've never seen how anyone could not like "My Old School."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

mostlymeat

Re: Tom's Dan-bashing, there must be ONE song he can like, right?
« Reply #10132 on: June 27, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
I know he's just trolling and "like what you like" etc...but c'mon Dan fans, can we propose one song he might not hate? What's not to like about "FM" or "Peg", for instance? As for "Hey Nineteen" he should try Jimmy Page's version, "Hey Thirteen"!
Oh yeah, I basically like everything he plays at the top of each show--the man has exquisite taste, no doubt--but those songs by the Sweet make me want to rip my ears out....are they all the same song with different words?

I think "Dirty Work" is the best ice-breaker for reluctant Dan fans. But it's easy to see why some people hate the Dan...it's all that jazziness. YUCK.

It is hard to believe that ANYONE doesn't like The Sweet though. If you are a fan of rock and roll and don't like the Sweet then how can you be a fan of rock and roll? Behind the Beatles/Stones/Who/Zep they have one of the deepest catalogs of non-stop blazing rock and roll hits! Also if you don't like the sound of twenty-thousand harmonies all singing at once then I wonder if you are even human.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10133 on: June 27, 2013, 05:20:16 PM »
Good one, cavorting. I am both severly smarting from the smackdown yet exhilarated!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10134 on: June 27, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
I'm just going by the ones he plays...obviously I'll try out the rest but love it or hate it, the three songs he plays are literally the same song with different words.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10135 on: June 27, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
"My Old School" is the one I would think should be irresistible, but IMO their greatest song is "Dr. Wu." They're notorious for being cold and unemotional, but when Fagen affects sincerity, as on "Wu" or the chorus of "Haitian Divorce," the nastiest song they ever wrote, the effect can be extraordinarily moving.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10136 on: June 27, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »
Thanks, cavorting. Something tells me you won't get bonked like I did but I appreciate the defense (of SD). I would love to know a band that Tom loves that has no cool credentials whatsoever...everyone has them, there must be some totally indefensible band he loves.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10137 on: June 27, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
Looking forward to the Pigpen/Pangaea mashup.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10138 on: June 28, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
I will never tire of the Four Day Creep!

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10139 on: June 28, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
re: "sincere"/"funny" heckling as the worst of the worst

I agreed so wholeheartedly with that dude. Every time I've seen the Mountain Goats play some doofuses feel the need to repeatedly thank him and comment on his hair or the funny stories he's telling. The worst instance of it I've ever endured was when I went to see Indie Rock Legend Jeff Mangum and the dude who kept yelling "come on, Bloomington! We can do better than that!" after between song clapping died down went ahead and shouted "Jeff, you my [n-word]!"

I think it's especially prominent for folks like Darnielle and Indie Rock Legend Jeff Mangum who have a mythos about them that they're "shy" and "introspective" and somehow that means they really need our help to perform on stage. People need to stop that.