Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818717 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10215 on: August 03, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the classical/movie music type thing that is used in early episodes? An example is January 22, 2002, around 20:40...thanks!

My guess is the Magnolia theme.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10216 on: August 03, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
Tom mentions talking with Rabin that he felt like ICP were like a Law and Order writer's idea of a rap group.

I hadn't thought about it in years, but that interview reminded me that the Juggalo murder episode of Law and Order actually happened in the Cyrus Lupo era of the show.

Great stuff!

The Lupo era of that show is vastly underrated. They seem to have found some writers for that character and it made the show much more interesting than it had been in a long time. It's a shame they picked then - rather than, say, the Elizabeth Rohm/Fred Thompson era - to cancel the show.

I could go on and on, but I'm not sure a L&O/L&O:CI thread is something I want to get started here.

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10217 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
I almost always call on an old timey landline. Even so, it's still easy to talk over Tom. You have to leave some wide spaces between your bursts of speech.

Verbal communication without visual cues can be tricky, esp. if you're nervous, which a lot of callers seem to be. Also, the rhythms of a call in to a radio show aren't the same as everyday conversation.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10218 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
This was in either the last show or the show before the last show:

The caller said (I'm paraphrasing) that Tom was using a VM until his B's D. I laughed very, very hard.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10219 on: August 07, 2013, 03:56:18 AM »
Pigpen/Suicide/Springbreakers/Podcast/Woolerycatheter mashup was insane genius.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10220 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »
Jon Daly will be disappointed to know that if you google him on google.co.uk the results all relate to a Scottish soccer player:

https://www.google.co.uk/#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=d43f1f23af41c929&q=jon+daly&safe=off

So maybe he needs to do a whole new set of dress up photos if he wants to boost his google score this side of the Atlantic.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Crusherkc

« Reply #10221 on: August 07, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

And in the middle of that, who was it who thanked everyone who supported "Grandma's Boy" to a cheering crowd?  What crowd was that?  That sounds like a sound bite from an alternate dystopian universe but it's from our own!!

Anyway, keep building that Pigpen Teardrop Suite.  Maybe add Kelsey Grammar's "uuugh, oooh"?
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10222 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »

And in the middle of that, who was it who thanked everyone who supported "Grandma's Boy" to a cheering crowd?  What crowd was that?  That sounds like a sound bite from an alternate dystopian universe but it's from our own!!

Anyway, keep building that Pigpen Teardrop Suite.  Maybe add Kelsey Grammar's "uuugh, oooh"?

It was Nick Swardson.

And I'm pretty sure there were excerpts from The Day The Laughter Died in there too.  Genius sound collage, Girl Talk's got nothing on Tommy Wonderful.

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10223 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
one of my friends remarked that the Best Show is slowly morphing into Over The Edge, and i am totally in favor of that.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10224 on: August 07, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
That Grandma's Boy thing sounded like it either came from the MTV Movie Awards or the Teen Choice Awards.

Earth Table

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10225 on: August 07, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the sampling of "your podcast is YOUR podcast, my podcast is MY podcast" is from?

Crusherkc

« Reply #10226 on: August 07, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the sampling of "your podcast is YOUR podcast, my podcast is MY podcast" is from?

Rollin' with the Dice and Wheels, Andrew Dice Clay's podcast.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #10227 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

I believe that it's from the "Rollin' With Dice and Wheels" podcast.

http://rollinwithdiceandwheels.com/

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10228 on: August 08, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

Worst: Nathan Rabin sounds like a nice guy but a) his talking over/not listening to Tom b) his rising inflection toward the end of every thing he said like it was a question and c) claiming to growing to like Phish was grating.  Loved Tom for raking him over the coals for it.  I found him just as annoying on the Fogelnest Files about a month ago and really loved Jake's description of his first/last Phish show: "Walked in, saw a girl do half a hippy twirl, and walked out.  10 seconds."

Yeah, Rabin brings a real childlike / personal and emotional attachment to his subjects that puts off a lot of folks and leads to some serious critical beatdowns in a few reviews of his books.  Personally, this is a big reason I love the guy and his writing.   I really think that giving into a sort of "Stockholm Syndrome" with these groups made his book a lot better.   It's fascinating in part because as the reader you keep wondering how the heck he and his girlfriend could put up with the moronic craziness they are surrounded by.  At the ICP gatherings in particular, there are some verbal assaults lodged at Rabin's girlfriend that they both seem to laugh off as "oh, isn't that wacky!" that would have most folks running for the exits.  But the book is a total page-turner, and there are anecdotes, such as one involving Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Iron Sheik at the Gathering, that are as surreal as anybody could ever hope for.

I liked the interview at the start but did become frustrated with him not hearing Tom and going on for about 5 sentences. Also, he has a really pronounced rising intonation at the end of his sentences? Which makes him sound like he's always asking a question?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10229 on: August 08, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »

I was walkin' down the street just the other day
When a high-legged chippy(?) started walkin' my way
I couldn't think straight, I didn't feel right
And then my dungarees started gettin' real tight
Long-legged sexpot, get into my bed
We can get crazy and then get out of our heads
I got a pile of pills I stole from my uncle's stash
We can get blasted and make love 'till we crash, because

Baby, baby you're such a tease
But I'm a man who needs to be pleased
So please me bitch, I need your love
Just like I need the love from g-d up above

Pills 'n thrills are the name of the game
I love the way I don't remember your name
It might be Kim, it might be Ruth
It might be Alice and the only way to know the truth
Is when I go through your purse when you're using the can
And if there's money in there I'm gonna take it and scram, because

Baby, baby you're such a tease
But I'm a man who needs to be pleased
So please me bitch, I need your love
Just like I need the love from g-d up above
Ow!

Much, much more should have been made of this song - plus the Count Rockula intro! - than has been made so far. Please get on it, people.