Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818852 times)

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10410 on: October 04, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »
"Is this George Harrison?"

"Please don't do this."

Yes.

That, and I believe when he was talking about Spray Paint, Tom said something along the lines of "if you're a fan of the Urinals..." along with some other bands. I used to work with a guy from the Urinals, I didn't know that they were known outside of LA.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10411 on: October 05, 2013, 08:07:42 PM »
"Is this George Harrison?"

"Please don't do this."

Yes.

That, and I believe when he was talking about Spray Paint, Tom said something along the lines of "if you're a fan of the Urinals..." along with some other bands. I used to work with a guy from the Urinals, I didn't know that they were known outside of LA.

In The Red records recently put out a nice vinyl reissue of The Urinals Negative Capability album, which along with the phenomenal Fuzz LP also on In The Red make up my two favorite records in quite a while.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10412 on: October 06, 2013, 12:29:38 AM »
Pretty much everything In The Red puts out is a winner. Trouble In Mind, Hozac, Slumberland, Sing Sing and Sacred Bones are also winning labels. The last time I can remember buying records by acts I'd never heard solely because of the label was late 80s/early 90s with Wax Trax, Sub Pop and Earache.

EDIT: Slovenly is another current label responsible for many of my record purchases.

bananagrabbers

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10413 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
Listening to the podcast of this week's ep now, and Tom trying to avoiding Breaking Bad spoilers is almost as tense as the show itself.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10414 on: October 06, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
Between Andy Breckman and Andy Kindler, can we just assume that comedy people named Andy have impossibly frozen-in-time musical tastes? I'm looking at you, Andy Daly, Andy Dick, Andy Borowitz, Andy Haynes, Andy Andrews, and Andy Kaufman.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

upgrayedd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10415 on: October 07, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
Interesting stuff about the Four (sic?) Day Creep:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080926051153AAakCf8

According to this music scholar, it's 'fore day creep and it comes from Ida Cox and then Humble Pie.

If it's on Yahoo Answers it must be true

In this case it is true. It refers to the act of slipping out on your woman before the sun comes up, not a 96-hour binge, though Pigpen likely did both in his time.

mostlymeat

« Reply #10416 on: October 07, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
Listening to the podcast of this week's ep now, and Tom trying to avoiding Breaking Bad spoilers is almost as tense as the show itself.

This was such a great episode ("The Filibuster"), just Tom Being Tom, telling stories, laying it down. As a loyal fan of 7 years, that's all I really want. Callers? Overrated!

voivod

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10417 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
Agreed. My favorites are the Italian Restaurant and the Train stories.  A great show

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10418 on: October 08, 2013, 01:25:51 AM »
Agreed. My favorites are the Italian Restaurant and the Train stories.  A great show

I like it when Tom opens up too, i know he likes his privacy but he doesn't have to share everything just give us a little something somethin'.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10419 on: October 08, 2013, 01:52:41 AM »
Quote from Tom, on last week's show:

"Longest back announcing, ever, on the show ... 10:00, and I've back announced one song".

"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

lastplaneout

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10420 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

In the Red just reissued a double LP of their stuff. And it's pretty fantastic. If nothing else, there's a live Soft Machine cover on it.

Edit: Just saw that this was already mentioned! Sorry!

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10421 on: October 08, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
Pretty much everything In The Red puts out is a winner. Trouble In Mind, Hozac, Slumberland, Sing Sing and Sacred Bones are also winning labels.
EDIT: Slovenly is another current label responsible for many of my record purchases.

Agreed and also wish to add Burger, WINDIAN, Drag City and  Dirtnap to the list
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #10422 on: October 08, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »
Pretty much everything In The Red puts out is a winner. Trouble In Mind, Hozac, Slumberland, Sing Sing and Sacred Bones are also winning labels.

Agreed and also wish to add Burger, WINDIAN, Drag City and  Dirtnap to the list

Fine additions indeed!

bookgills

« Reply #10423 on: October 08, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
y'all forgot goner!

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10424 on: October 15, 2013, 05:14:59 AM »
Interesting last few shows, especially Tom's encounter with cops.

JOHN WESLEY SHIPP SELLS P&G PRODUCTS
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.