Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818780 times)

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11340 on: May 22, 2015, 03:21:22 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I don't think I've posted since the show's return.  How's it going?  Just in case anyone's interested, I made this: Tom Scharpling Aims To #ReplaceHarry .  I tried to cut out as much extraneous stuff, including myself, to streamline it.  Also, on the Avalanche Bob subject, I am fairly certain it's not a bit.  Honestly, and I am no expert, nor am I making any judgements, but I have a suspicion he may be on the autism spectrum.

Having parents with expertise in the field of special education, in addition to interacting with some of those fellow Muppet fans that were discussed, including a good friend who is practically a living encyclopedia of Muppet minutiae, I have some knowledge and experience, and I get a bit of that vibe from AB33.  He is super focused on just the thing he wants to talk about, and even with no firsthand experience with snowboarding, he has made that his thing, for whatever reason.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he truly had (at least around) 500 songs, likely being fairly short.  Maybe I am way off-base, but I figured I'd chime in to the conversation.

-Zach

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11341 on: May 22, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I'd forgotten Tom's a vegetarian. Another reason to like the dude!
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

mackro

« Reply #11342 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
I finally gave this week's show a full listen.. (due to emergency reasons, I could only listen intermittently on Tuesday night)  GREAT show, despite Tom not feeling well and thinking the show was a weird one. I loved this episode.

Newbridge call aside: the Best moments were easily within the Z-Man and H-Man calls.
Z-Man call.. pretty much the whole #ReplaceHarry thing, and all of the Muppet debating.. as talked about above.

H-Man call:  this.. *paraphrasing* of course:

TOM: The two old men [in the Muppets]?  They're providing bad entertainment complaining about bad entertainment!  It's like Kevin Smith complaining about... Kevin Smith
H-MAN: OK, I gotta keep quiet about that. I worked with Kevin Smith on a commercial and he was really cool
TOM: Was Kevin Smith the "Before" in the commercial?

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11343 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
For anyone who cares, here is the commercial: Stan Lee Cameo School, feat. Kevin Smith, Tara Reid, Michael Rooker, Jason Mewes and Lou Ferrigno .  H-Man got to walk Stan Lee to the set.  That, and that I am the only brother who hasn't met Weird Al, and now I found out that I am the only brother not on the box set, makes me just get jealouser and jealouser.  Those crazy Weirdowood Woliners!

-Zach

Grames Jeene Rj

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11344 on: May 22, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »
Hey FOT,
   I don't think I've posted since the show's return.  How's it going?  Just in case anyone's interested, I made this: Tom Scharpling Aims To #ReplaceHarry .  I tried to cut out as much extraneous stuff, including myself, to streamline it.  Also, on the Avalanche Bob subject, I am fairly certain it's not a bit.  Honestly, and I am no expert, nor am I making any judgements, but I have a suspicion he may be on the autism spectrum.

Having parents with expertise in the field of special education, in addition to interacting with some of those fellow Muppet fans that were discussed, including a good friend who is practically a living encyclopedia of Muppet minutiae, I have some knowledge and experience, and I get a bit of that vibe from AB33.  He is super focused on just the thing he wants to talk about, and even with no firsthand experience with snowboarding, he has made that his thing, for whatever reason.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he truly had (at least around) 500 songs, likely being fairly short.  Maybe I am way off-base, but I figured I'd chime in to the conversation.

-Zach

Thank you for isolating this historic moment. They need to hire Tom not just to do these voices but to also speak the lines he came up with here. "Hey, we're gonna drive the bus!" Beautiful.

For now I'm choosing to believe Avalanche Bob is a performance piece by Tom Waits.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11345 on: May 22, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »
Hey FOT,

-Zach

I love all the Best Show clips people are putting up on Youtube, but man there is a lot of haters on there.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11346 on: May 23, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »
"The H stands for Hollywood"- the H Man.

mackro

« Reply #11347 on: May 27, 2015, 12:22:17 AM »
TONIGHT's Show...  Oh my goodness... the roughly 8pm to 9pm hour... from Alphaville forward.. is the best non-Newbridge Best Show I've ever heard..  ever.  Not hyperbolizing.  I pulled muscles laughing for an hour straight.   Bowling Alley Confession's looseness lent itself to something truly amazing tonight.

leeharveyosmond

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11348 on: May 27, 2015, 12:28:55 AM »
That 40-something idiot who wants his kid to be "cool"

The caller who was banned by Alphaville's Twitter account

Tom going over Doctor Who and how terrible it is (laughed the hardest at "He's like if Jon Hamm melted" and proposing that the Pet Shop Boys and/or Andrew Dice Clay, among others, should be the Doctor)

That disgusting creep at the end with his "cute" mattress prank

I gotta say, this might be the best ep. so far!

Crusherkc

« Reply #11349 on: May 27, 2015, 01:04:23 AM »
Best: Bebe's call.  C'mon Alphaville community, let her back in!

Worst: The villain who threw mattress in pools of affordable motels and showing no remorse.  How did he think that was going to be taken?  "Cute vandalism"?  How 'bout straight up vandalism, you goon. He let "Cool Dad from Portlandia" off the hook.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11350 on: May 27, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
Best: Bebe's call.  C'mon Alphaville community, let her back in!

Worst: The villain who threw mattress in pools of affordable motels and showing no remorse.  How did he think that was going to be taken?  "Cute vandalism"?  How 'bout straight up vandalism, you goon. He let "Cool Dad from Portlandia" off the hook.

Was that BeBe? They said, "Jesse from Las Vegas" and the voice was slightly different.

Have there ever been worse callers? I woke up convinced that the dad worrying about his 3 year old's taste must have been an act. I fear that the broadening of the audience has brought in the worst dregs of callerdom...the mattress dude is a psychopath, btw

JeSStradiol

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11351 on: May 27, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
I love all the Best Show clips people are putting up on Youtube, but man there is a lot of haters on there.
The Best Show vids getting backlash on YouTube?????
That's a shame. I noticed after I uploaded my Pizza Party video, R.Reynolds posted a ton of Best Show videos. Who could hate them???
"Nothing from Fletch is making it on this list. NOTHING!!!"

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #11352 on: May 27, 2015, 10:36:48 AM »

Was that BeBe? They said, "Jesse from Las Vegas" and the voice was slightly different.

Bebe (sorry to break the Bowling Alley Confessions code) was the Alphaville call. Jesse called asking which member of The Eagles Tom though was most racist.

Speaking of breaking the code, it was nice to hear Emma (formerly of Toronto) on again.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

mackro

« Reply #11353 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
I woke up convinced that the dad worrying about his 3 year old's taste must have been an act.

I think Portland Dad was trying really hard to be BadCo'ed -- so hard such that I think Tom noticed and didn't let him go out that way.  The caller started too early into the rambling, hence my suspicion.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11354 on: May 27, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
The end of Sarah from Jersey City's call was a gold standard example of Tom never letting a caller win. He says call more then gives her grief when she says she'll call all the time, then when she admits she's busy he gives her a hard time like she's acting like a big shot. I love it so much
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.