Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818946 times)

kouzie

• Policemans heel
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11400 on: June 04, 2015, 06:58:51 AM »
some of the regular callers are calling too much imo and it's noticable as their call quality is decreasing. one of them has called almost every week and its getting dreadful

Funny, I've been thinking the same thing lately. Maybe time to clean house and Tom should ban all regular callers like he did several years ago.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11401 on: June 04, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
Fans of this week's show with YLT should check out Radio Free Yo La Tengo, from 2005, hosted by Tom and featuring a few calls from Newbridge citizens. It was a podcast to promote Prisoners Of Love and you can still download it from Matador:

http://features.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/yo_la_tengo/rfylt.mp3

brancron

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11402 on: June 04, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
That hang up on Brad was one of the best hang ups in recent memory. The sense of entitlement in Brad's voice was unbelievable. I love how Tom almost blew up at him, but then reeled it in so he could do the hang up. Truly masterful.

For the listener's convenience, this call is from 2:11:00 to 2:13:33.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11403 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
What an episode.

Also, any time Tom does the "are you going to see, 'JURASSIC WORLD'" voice, I lose it completely.

AnniefromKS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11404 on: June 04, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »
"Billy" 's gasp/yelp after Tom informed him that Yo La Tengo were there, in-studio, was a valentine to my soul. I also loved the chop-busting of Mr. McNew.

Such a great show. This radio show is a glimmering gem. Tom's gentle acquiescence to Brad that he have his Special Moment, only to deliver judgment with a swift swing of the axe. I love Tuesdays.
Head cheerleader of the Cherryhill Hill Cherries

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11405 on: June 04, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
Tom and Yo La Tengo were talking about National Lampoon's Lemmings, and both sides seemed to miss that most of the people involved with Lemmings were part of The National Lampoon Radio Hour (1973-74) before some of them got involved with SNL. The Radio Hour was a syndicated FM show that nearly killed the magazine to make it.

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11406 on: June 04, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »
"Billy" 's gasp/yelp after Tom informed him that Yo La Tengo were there, in-studio, was a valentine to my soul. I also loved the chop-busting of Mr. McNew.

Such a great show. This radio show is a glimmering gem. Tom's gentle acquiescence to Brad that he have his Special Moment, only to deliver judgment with a swift swing of the axe. I love Tuesdays.

Annie, I came to post my 2 favorite moments from this week's show and you beat me to it. Both made me laugh out loud while at work.

kouzie

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11407 on: June 04, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Tom and Yo La Tengo were talking about National Lampoon's Lemmings, and both sides seemed to miss that most of the people involved with Lemmings were part of The National Lampoon Radio Hour (1973-74) before some of them got involved with SNL. The Radio Hour was a syndicated FM show that nearly killed the magazine to make it.
I'd been wondering if Tom was influenced by The National Lampoon magazine. When I was in 7th grade, I somehow talked my mom into letting me subscribe and it was a huge influence on me. But that was around `80/`81, well after the Radio Hour/Lemmings ended. John Hughes' original story of Vacation that was in one of the issues was a brilliant piece of writing.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11408 on: June 04, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
Anyone have a copy of the National Lampoon Yearbook? That was really hilarious.

Truth be told, I was pretty young back then and while I used to read it, a lot of it went over my head. I still have a few copies kicking around though. Some years back I was an artist at a magazine and my new editor kept having ideas for covers...around the 3rd one I realized he was ripping off old National Lampoon covers.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

mackro

« Reply #11409 on: June 04, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the National Lampoon albums, but they do have some moments.  This is on the Radio Dinner album, and it's still hilarious

(WARNING: Lots of Bleep Words):

National Lampoon - Magical MISERY Tour (Lennon Parody)

mostlymeat

« Reply #11410 on: June 04, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
John Hughes' original story of Vacation that was in one of the issues was a brilliant piece of writing.

Vacation '58 by John Hughes

http://www.bizbag.com/Vacation/Vacation%2058.htm

SlappyMcGee

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11411 on: June 04, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
There was nothing funnier to me than when Tom announced that Yo La Tengo would be bumped so that he could talk to Charley Morgan for 2 hours and 15 minutes. I fell over.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11412 on: June 04, 2015, 10:41:32 PM »
I'm a Cracked man, myself.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11413 on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
I'd been wondering if Tom was influenced by The National Lampoon magazine. When I was in 7th grade, I somehow talked my mom into letting me subscribe and it was a huge influence on me. But that was around `80/`81, well after the Radio Hour/Lemmings ended. John Hughes' original story of Vacation that was in one of the issues was a brilliant piece of writing.

If anything he might have influenced by the all-O.C. and Stiggs issue of October, 1982, if only for the world-building that goes on; that entire issue is like a novella, as can be seen here: http://www.christyanity.com/pdf/OCStiggs .

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #11414 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:28 PM »
It might be uncool to admit it, but National Lampoon magazine is not a direct influence on me. I didn't read it outside of taking a quick look at it here and there over the years. But obviously the people who worked there influenced those who influenced or did other things that I liked.

Tom.