Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818926 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12150 on: November 13, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »
When he said never before aired episode, I was thinking about the marathon show when they went all night and only the first three hours were archived.

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12151 on: November 13, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
Listened to this today.  Knew instantly it was a recreation (Tom's voice has changed a little) and I think it was based on the actual non-archived episode in part -- but holy crap what a brilliant piece of work this was.  Jon's call was a brilliant way to wave the "THIS EPISODE IS AN ALLEGORY" flag anyway, and then . . . everything . . . changed.  The last hour was deeply moving.  I got chills.  RESPECT.  (I'm guessing Brett Davis did some valuable assists on this?)

federationofideas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12152 on: November 13, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
loved loved loved the episode.... knew something was off as soon as he started talking (combination of his voice and the studio sound) but wasn't 100% sure until about 45 minutes in.... maybe the second Pat call?

reminded me to ask - I can't find it now but I SWEAR I remember listening to a Best Show Gem once and Tom referred to AP Mike as Steve or something else? It definitely sounded like Mike I swear. Did Mike use an alias when he first started or am I just going crazy?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12153 on: November 13, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
Steve didn't last. He sounded too much like a scarecrow.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12154 on: November 13, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »
Steve didn't last. He sounded too much like a scarecrow.

I love AP Mike; Steve did bring a different vibe to the show. I think it was the mustache.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Ike_Arumba

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12155 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »
I started to catch on that this was a simulation during Jon's call. But there was a major tell a little later that confirmed it - you could hear the door squeak as I guess Jason walked in the studio. That's certainly unique to the new show - Dudio : some WD40 on those hinges will fix that squeak!

What a brilliant episode!

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12156 on: November 13, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »
Guys.  Not long after, inarguably, one of the greatest shows in Best Show history...

... THIS happens.  So... many... layers...

https://twitter.com/vanmorrison/status/797751388029800450

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12157 on: November 14, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
Guys.  Not long after, inarguably, one of the greatest shows in Best Show history...

... THIS happens.  So... many... layers...

https://twitter.com/vanmorrison/status/797751388029800450

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12158 on: November 15, 2016, 01:35:36 AM »
Brilliant. Just brilliant. A caller mentioning "rocks only guitar player" had me thinking "Hey, didn't they just talk like that last week or the week before? Weird."

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12159 on: November 15, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
Amazing episode. I listened to it a few days later so I was hip to the device from reading between the lines of tweets and stuff, but regardless it was truly brilliant.

some of my favorite moments:
The 4 different listener-made themes (of course).
Terre T and Tom talking about how Rye Coalition were poised to be superstars with their Dave Grohl produced major label debut (oof!).
When the Space Time Continuum guy starts to crack about how the night started great and then began to fall apart. I thought I could hear his voice crack, kinda made sense in the bit, but (forgive me for speculating) I figured it might have also been when the reality of the Election for-real was sinking in. Brutal. That, to me, was one of the best moments of any Best Show, ever.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

ndmvhc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12160 on: November 15, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »

Terre T and Tom talking about how Rye Coalition were poised to be superstars with their Dave Grohl produced major label debut (oof!).

Yes. Amazing. I truly liked that band until that album. It's terrible.

Mike Desert

« Reply #12161 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »
vague ideas that go ten minutes....singing upward....this is becoming a classic JW call....

Mike Desert

« Reply #12162 on: November 16, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »
listening from the beginning now. Man, Tom's crash story is frightening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTc9a8Hx4Js#
[/quote]

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12163 on: November 16, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
I feel kind of gullible because I thought it was real for so long. I was looking up to see what happened with the swear words, if Tom actually got fined or what. Those performances were incredible. I was truly embarrassed for the woman calling about Yo Mama. And the way Tom was feeling sorry for insulting her but ended up just prolonging the agony of the call. And I don't know who MC Steinberg is but that was so much like the kind of caller who might have been a regular at that time (I've only listened to full shows since about 2011 but I heard some from 2001). And how slowly it started until the bit about RHCP.

Unfortunately for me, I checked here first when it was announced that Tom would broadcast the 'lost' episode, and saw Omar's write-up. So, I knew immediately that it was not the actual lost episode.

I wonder how long I would have been fooled?

I know the answer - a long time. When I first started listening to The Best Show on WFMU years ago (via podcast, never live), I though JW's calls were legit.

Philsy

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12164 on: November 16, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
I completely thought it truly was a lost episode for quite a while, with any hints flying right over my head.  But it was during Jon Wurster's call when I started to wonder what was going on.  And then it clicked.  And the last hour was sad and beautiful.