Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928137 times)

Paul DePhiladelphia

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1695 on: June 29, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »
One of my ex-boyfriends had an ex-girlfriend whose all-time favorite band was Sonic Youth.

I always thought that was such bullshit.

Note the "ex." It's weird how certain bands just can't be someone's favorite band. Sonic Youth is such a "phase band." "I liked noise music during my Sonic Youth phase." Not to mention 80% of Sonic Youth's  output is awful.

I'll admit tho that I have little to no patience for The Beach Boys and I never hear the end of it. A friend accuses me of being and indie snob because I don't like The Beach Boys or pop in generally. But to me it seems like it is more abnoxious to say you like pop music like Britney Spears and Shakira, and think that insane diversity is unique and not to be questioned, which he does. "You gotta learn to have fun with music man."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1696 on: June 29, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
I like Sonic Youth, because I assumed they couldn't top Daydream Nation, which is great, and so that's all I know by them.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1697 on: June 29, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »
One of my ex-boyfriends had an ex-girlfriend whose all-time favorite band was Sonic Youth.

Not to mention 80% of Sonic Youth's  output is awful.

Couldn't agree less with you on that.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #1698 on: June 29, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »

That's why they made horse races, young son.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1699 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »

I like Washing Machine.

Great for road trips.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1700 on: June 29, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
one of my subcontractors (a painter) did a terrible job on this building that we're just finishing up.  I had finally had enough and told him I was going to pay his contract, but that we were going to hire another painter to handle all of the owners changes.  Now I'm getting these emails from him that switch back and for between attacking, playing dumb about his company's shitty performance, and acting like he wants to do anything to keep our work relationship going.  They're all about 6 paragraphs long and they're really starting to piss me off.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1701 on: June 29, 2010, 10:48:35 PM »
I like Sonic Youth from Bad Moon Rising through Daydream Nation. Sister and Daydream Nation are favorites. I have checked in and out on the albums since then. They have some definite off moments or albums, but I would also put them well under 80% of their output.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1702 on: June 29, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
I hate when I'm dumb enough to comment on somebody's political discussion on their Facebook page, and then for however long that drama plays out my updates are clogged with notices about all the dopey warmed over arguments from all sides people dump on to the pile. Really I just hate Facebook.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #1703 on: June 30, 2010, 08:11:53 AM »
I hate when I'm dumb enough to comment on somebody's political discussion on their Facebook page, and then for however long that drama plays out my updates are clogged with notices about all the dopey warmed over arguments from all sides people dump on to the pile. Really I just hate Facebook.

I have gotten to the point where I have to carefully choose which pictures or status upadated to comment on. Never comment on baby pictures, wedding pictures or announcement status updates.

I also hate how morning newscasters all think the viewer is on board with their humorless wit and rambling inside jokes. It's 6 a.m., gimme the news!

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1704 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
I also hate how morning newscasters all think the viewer is on board with their humorless wit and rambling inside jokes. It's 6 a.m., gimme the news!

I hope you're not talking about CBS Eyewitness News with Ukee Washington, Liz Keptner, Doug Kammerer and Bob Kelly.  I find their blatent unprofessionalism somehow refreshing, news stories about the mile long hoagie being constructed on the Rocky Stairs can wait, I want to see Ukee throw quarters at Bob Kelly while he's doing traffic, then race over and pick them up (while Bob Kelly is still doing traffic), saying, "I can’t trust Bob with my quarters, he still carries around milk money."

If you're talking about Action News, I completely agree, Terry Ruggles is a horror show.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #1705 on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
If you're talking about Action News, I completely agree, Terry Ruggles is a horror show.
Terry Ruggles is a robot. Ever see how akward he gets when he talks to Matt Lauer. And I die a little inside everytime Bill Henley does that dumb pronunciation of Miami Beach. I might start watching CBS but Jillian Yealy(sp) makes it all worthwhile.

Wes

« Reply #1706 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »

I hope you're not talking about CBS Eyewitness News with Ukee Washington, Liz Keptner, Doug Kammerer and Bob Kelly.  I find their blatent unprofessionalism somehow refreshing, news stories about the mile long hoagie being constructed on the Rocky Stairs can wait, I want to see Ukee throw quarters at Bob Kelly while he's doing traffic, then race over and pick them up (while Bob Kelly is still doing traffic), saying, "I can’t trust Bob with my quarters, he still carries around milk money."

I have held a grudge agaisnt Ukee Washington for some time because we toured the KYW studios back in grade school, and had to go in two groups. While my group was hangin' on the set of Ukee's weekend teen issues show "Rap Around", the other group was meeting with Ukee himself, laughing it up and living the life. When it was my group's turn to go into the offices, Ukee was conveniently on the phone and couldn't even be bothered to raise his eyes enough to acknowledge us. Since that day, I have secretly hoped for a public fall from grace.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #1707 on: June 30, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »

I'm 42. Show some respect, you munch.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #1708 on: June 30, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »

I'm 42. Show some respect, you munch.

I'm 73 and a half kind sir!

LJ

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #1709 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »

I'll admit tho that I have little to no patience for The Beach Boys and I never hear the end of it.
[/quote]

I agree with you there, dude.  Although the term "pop" can be applied so liberally to say you don't like pop music suggests that you don't like a large swath of the American and English musical output of the past fifty years.
Secret Agent Man. Secret Agent Man. He's Giving You a Number and Taking Away Your Fan.