Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928222 times)

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2460 on: March 27, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
Andrew this was at Beautiful World Syndicate. The guys who work there are cool but their crusty friends who come to hang gig posters, say dumb shit like that, then ride off of their fixed gears, make me sick. Last week Tom was talking about maybe if you say you like everything then you don't really like music. I think these guys are just the opposite but with the same outcome.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2461 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
Ok, going to take a five minute break from homework to old man rant on something I am growing to hate: the whole meme culture of "laughing at the abject." Honestly, if you lined up all the viral clips of the past few years, the one thing that the laughs have in common is marginalization of the subjects for being other. The consequences are kinda alarming: it is making those who laugh sorta uniform and hegemonic and making difference something to be laughed at. Now corporate culture is catching up with things like Rebecca Black, creating an artificial abject to capitalize on.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, it would make me scared for the future.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2462 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
I hate how now it's cool and hip NOT to like things. This guy at the record store was talking about how much he absolutely hated Bob Dylan and The Beatles. "I hate The Beatles but I LOVE The Monkees!" How random and cool!
I wish I had the balls to say "Name three albums asshole!" Sorry I'll cool down.

Unfortunately, if you spend a lot of time in record stores, you're going to hear some of the most obnoxious shit on the planet. I was trying to be friendly to a record store clerk once and innocently mentioned that the great Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo" was playing one-night-only the following weekend. This smug jerk didn't even let me get half the words out of my mouth before rudely cutting me off with: "I don't like FUNK!" A simple "not my cup o' tea" would have sufficed.

Quote from the early 90s WXYC zine profile of Schoolkids Records: "Do you think the people who work here are cooler than you are? Because they do."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #2463 on: March 27, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »

I find this man's shorts alarming.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2464 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
I think that's Joe Rogan.

I hate when people don't differentiate between stupidity and intellectual laziness (or just regular laziness.) Like when they post something about working with a bunch of "mental giants".
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #2465 on: March 27, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
I hate it when people don't differentiate between ignorance and stupidity.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2466 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
I think that's Joe Rogan.

Perhaps more disturbing is the fact that he is a man who believes the moon landing was staged.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2467 on: March 27, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
This is true about Joe Rogan? I really hate people who think the moon landing was faked.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2468 on: March 27, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
This is true about Joe Rogan? I really hate people who think the moon landing was faked.

He's doing you a service! You now have proof there is no need to listen to a thing he says.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2469 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »
All you guys will get a kick out of this:
http://lavenderhour.com/2011/03/15/joe-rogan-in-snake-handler/

(This is the podcast I was referring to with my little collage.)

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2470 on: March 28, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
I hate how now it's cool and hip NOT to like things. This guy at the record store was talking about how much he absolutely hated Bob Dylan and The Beatles. "I hate The Beatles but I LOVE The Monkees!" How random and cool!
I wish I had the balls to say "Name three albums asshole!" Sorry I'll cool down.

Unfortunately, if you spend a lot of time in record stores, you're going to hear some of the most obnoxious shit on the planet. I was trying to be friendly to a record store clerk once and innocently mentioned that the great Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo" was playing one-night-only the following weekend. This smug jerk didn't even let me get half the words out of my mouth before rudely cutting me off with: "I don't like FUNK!" A simple "not my cup o' tea" would have sufficed.

Funk?

I thought that was a bit of stretch on his part.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2471 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:56 AM »
Andrew this was at Beautiful World Syndicate. The guys who work there are cool but their crusty friends who come to hang gig posters, say dumb shit like that, then ride off of their fixed gears, make me sick. Last week Tom was talking about maybe if you say you like everything then you don't really like music. I think these guys are just the opposite but with the same outcome.

I'm giving that place a lifetime pass because the $2 copy of "Station to Station" I bought there plays like a champ, but these crusty friends of the owners you speak of sound insufferable.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2472 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »

'Tis true. I heard a debate between him and astronomer Phil Plait on Penn Jillette's podcast a few years back (I used to like Penn's show but at some point the constant sound of rattling phlegm in his throat got to be too much for me to take). Unfortunately I can't find a working link to the recording.

It's possible that he's since changed his mind but I don't generally keep up on Joe Rogan current events. Perhaps he talks about it on the latest WTF which I see in my iTunes this morning.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2473 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
Minor pet peeve: Podcasts that don't embed album artwork in the mp3 file. Come on, Thrilling Adventure Hour, come up with some cool old timey looking logo!

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2474 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Minor pet peeve: Podcasts that don't embed album artwork in the mp3 file. Come on, Thrilling Adventure Hour, come up with some cool old timey looking logo!

Mine does this:

I guess that's a thing.