Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911892 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #990 on: September 03, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »
But how are people to know, ahead of time, that you're in the minority of good guys? Especially when even the good guys bend the rules so often?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #991 on: September 03, 2009, 05:25:42 PM »
Oh, and you know what I hate? Auto Tune the News. It's just not funny. It was funny once, like a whopee cushion.

steve davidson

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #992 on: September 03, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
ha ha whoopee cushion man those never get old

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #993 on: September 03, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »

Nice to have you back Mr. Davidson
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #994 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:23 PM »
Oh, and you know what I hate? Auto Tune the News. It's just not funny. It was funny once, like a whopee cushion.

Wow, just after I praised you so effusively about your Juggalo knock.  Ah, well.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #995 on: September 03, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »

You're darn right, Deve Stavidson.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #996 on: September 03, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »

Wow, just after I praised you so effusively about your Juggalo knock.  Ah, well.

Ah, I was just grumpy and tired when I wrote that.  I just didn't like the Auto Tune the News with T Pain.  And I don't like these internet elitists who are shoving it down my throat.

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #997 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
I hate people who sign up to receive emails from my company and then report us as Spam. If you don't like it then unsubscribe! We make it so easy for you. Just click the linky link and press the confirm button. And then don't RE-subscribe just to do it all over again! Fucking moron customers.

I'll fight you on this, because so many companies make it too easy to "sign up" for email without realizing it.  You didn't uncheck the little button on the button of page three?  Your fault, then.  Fuck that.  I've never reported anything other than to my own spam filters, which are my business, or sometimes I just bounce the email back.

Plus, there are some companies that seem unable to honor unsubscribe requests (SURELY he'll want to know about something of THIS importance), and actual spammers who use "unsubscribe" links only as a way to verify that an email address is real so that they can send it more spam.

I'm not saying you guys do that.  I'm sure you make people actively and intelligently opt in to stuff. And when there is something I have signed up for, or at least a company I'm somewhat friendly about, I'll do the unsubscribe link. But this is the perspective of people who are bombarded with nonstop bullshit email.

And hey, how about companies that say "click here to unsubscribe" and then make you log in with your "account"?

Yes and yes!

I did some end of summer cleaning of email subscriptions (along with a fresh install of XP) and noticed that some companies just keep sending emails after you unsubscribe. But in this age where the president is sending me thrice daily emails about Ted Kennedy, I suppose anything is possible.

Erika, what happens at the other end if I mark an email "as spam?" Do they get bounced back to their sender? I thought that just made it so the emails just automatically trashed??
"Is this me?"

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #998 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
Oh!

And I hate... hmmm....

Old folks who yell at me for biking on the sidewalk (I don't know if this stems from some local tradition of strict adherence to laws or what). Sometimes, I like to take it easy and not risk my life in the speedy, sometimes life-threatening lanes of Helsinki traffic... I, and hundreds like me, occasionally (and probably ilicitly) bike on the sidewalk. Not if it's crowded, mind you, only when there are little to no pedestrians around. Invariably there is always some grouch shaking his cane at me - scolding my insubordination.

Perhaps he would have had a happier life if he had not spent so much time waiting for the little red man to change to a little green man at the crosswalks? (another weird habit here -- jaywalking is somewhat of a new phenomenon here, even when the roads are empty).

They just like their laws, I guess.
"Is this me?"

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #999 on: September 04, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »
Adding one to the "fuck newsletters" chorus.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1000 on: September 04, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »

I am a web designer and when a client asks me to add a newsletter feature to their site I say no problem. But then I ask them how many newsletters they themselves subscribe to and the answer is usually zero.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1001 on: September 04, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

I am a web designer and when a client asks me to add a newsletter feature to their site I say no problem. But then I ask them how many newsletters they themselves subscribe to and the answer is usually zero.

The thing is there are emails I want to get from companies.  Like NewsGator, recently saying "We are turning off NewsGator syncing and moving to Google Reader.  You need to update all your programs and set up Google Reader."

Or, "Your bill is late.  Pay your bill, you coward."

That shit's helpful.  But some companies need to understand that the big project they've been working on for months doesn't interest most people in the least, just like they're probably not interested that I just landed the Jenkins account.

Sorry Erika.  Not talking about you guys, and I'm sure you're more like NewsGator than the Bad Guys.

This student-run used bookstore used to email the entire law school each time their hours changed, which was weekly.  My friends and I would re-forward these emails to each other with an "fyi."  Oh, laffs.

Sarah

« Reply #1002 on: September 05, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »

It's not for nothing that I posted "Fuck fashion.  Fuck trends" on the original FOTchan.
I can't believe that you admit to being involved with those animals.

They're my animals, and I love them all.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1003 on: September 05, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
Skinny white friends who sing the blues.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1004 on: September 06, 2009, 03:12:42 PM »
Jerks who don't turn down the volume on their laptops in public spaces, like this jerk right next to me on this train. Doesn't play any music, but all those Windows sounds are turned up to the MAX. Really, guy?