Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 913763 times)

erika

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1290 on: February 26, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
Which female singers do you like?

I dunno, tons. Laurie Anderson, Astrud Gilberto, Billie Holiday, Kazu Makino, Roseanne Cash, Juana Molina, Isabellarah Rubella, Poly Styrene, Marnie Stern....

I know two people out of both those lists.

Yeah I havent a clue.

Sing-songy and breathy can also just be the way a woman with a higher pitched voice sings. It's not necessarily an affectation.

Stuff I hate: people bitching about women who have girly or high-pitched voices naturally. Seriously. Who's giving guys a hard time for how THEY sound?
from the land of pleasant living

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1291 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »
Er, I didn't mean to start a fight. All the singers I named are borrowing from the same style that's popular right now. And it grates on me every time I hear it on cutesy commercials for the Gap, Apple, etc. But it's not some anti-woman conspiracy.

Who's giving guys a hard time for how THEY sound?

Male singers with low voices have been biting the Eddie Vedder mushmouth grunge sound for the last 20 years -- and everyone I know has loudly given them a hard time for it.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1292 on: February 26, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »
No I don't think it's an anti-woman conspiracy. But I don't think that these folks are borrowing from each other... it's just a style of singing. I'm sure some are copying from one another, but to assume it's some sort of epidemic of people singing one way or another... I dunno.

Maybe it's that I try not to classify music like that. Grunge sound? What IS that?

Sorry I'm in a terrible mood.

Another thing I hate: Herniated discs. Even on other people! It's true!
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #1293 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
I bet you guys know three (I'm guessing the two you were talking about were Laurie Anderson and Billie Holliday):  Astrud Gilberto is famous for "The Girl from Ipanema."

I don't like light-voiced, breathy female singers, either.  And I loathe high-voiced, screechy male singers.  The Eddie Vedder clones are tiresome, but at least they don't hurt my ears.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1294 on: February 26, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »
The Hotels.com claymation guy.  I hate his smugness.  The one eyebrow raised like he's hip, young, and knows more than me.  How about I fire your smugness in a kiln, bitch?!

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1295 on: February 26, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
Old man, you'll never "get" claymation.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1296 on: February 26, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
The Hotels.com claymation guy.  I hate his smugness.  The one eyebrow raised like he's hip, young, and knows more than me.  How about I fire your smugness in a kiln, bitch?!

Also, because Ed Helms is just reusing his character from the Office to portray that claymation guy.

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1297 on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »
Which female singers do you like?

I dunno, tons. Laurie Anderson, Astrud Gilberto, Billie Holiday, Kazu Makino, Roseanne Cash, Juana Molina, Isabellarah Rubella, Poly Styrene, Marnie Stern....

I know two people out of both those lists.

Yeah I havent a clue.

Sing-songy and breathy can also just be the way a woman with a higher pitched voice sings. It's not necessarily an affectation.

Stuff I hate: people bitching about women who have girly or high-pitched voices naturally. Seriously. Who's giving guys a hard time for how THEY sound?

I know this guy who has a high pitch girly voice, and man does it piss me off.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1298 on: February 26, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »
I know this guy who has a high pitch girly voice, and man does it piss me off.

Crypto-Misogynist!  :o

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1299 on: February 26, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »

Also, because Ed Helms is just reusing his character from the Office to portray that claymation guy.

Ed Helms has more than one character?

slipperyslope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1300 on: February 27, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »
Something else I hate:

This whole "let's pay a cable/satellite subscription so we can watch amateurs who don't know how to sing yet butcher songs other people wrote" fad. I'll never understand the American Idol fad. It seems like something you should be getting paid to watch, not the other way around.

Or, if you really are into memorized karaoke type stuff, go have some drinks and show off/have fun at a karaoke joint.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1301 on: February 27, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
Something else I hate:

This whole "let's pay a cable/satellite subscription so we can watch amateurs who don't know how to sing yet butcher songs other people wrote" fad. I'll never understand the American Idol fad. It seems like something you should be getting paid to watch, not the other way around.

Or, if you really are into memorized karaoke type stuff, go have some drinks and show off/have fun at a karaoke joint.

I get some enjoyment out of the early shows in each season, because it's endlessly fascinating to me that some people think they have talent when they don't.  It's a phenomenon.

I wouldn't voluntarily watch the later shows, though, because they are as you describe.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #1302 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
I hate it when people say "visualize" when they mean "see."  (It came up during a curling match today, but it was the multiple occurrences of "visualize the vocal chords" in ER that first got my goat.)

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1303 on: February 27, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
I am hearing "deep dive" and "back of envelope" a lot at Le Job lately.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1304 on: February 27, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
What's the ask?