Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 921039 times)

cutout

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1410 on: April 04, 2010, 12:44:27 PM »
After looking at it for 15 seconds: I think the guy who runs that blog is more hateable than any of the stuff he's making fun of.

Funny my original post was going to be "Tumblr art photos/captions + people who write about them". Maybe good to step away from Tumblr/the internet altogether.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1411 on: April 04, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
Anyone who hates people who call others "brother" a lot must really loathe Jamie Oliver.  Especially when he's talking to teenagers.

That Scottish clown on LOST calls everybody 'Brother', too.

Sarah

« Reply #1412 on: April 04, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »
Yes, but he's just reading lines.  Jamie Oliver (whom I like, by the way) seems to use it compulsively to sound young and hep.  But then he also seems to think that calling middle-aged women "girls" makes them happy.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1413 on: April 04, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
Whom.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1414 on: April 04, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »
But then he also seems to think that calling middle-aged women "girls" makes them happy.

He's not entirely wrong about this, Lubec.  You are sui generis and a member of a rare breed beyond even that.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Pidgeon

« Reply #1415 on: April 04, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »
After looking at it for 15 seconds: I think the guy who runs that blog is more hateable than any of the stuff he's making fun of.

Funny my original post was going to be "Tumblr art photos/captions + people who write about them". Maybe good to step away from Tumblr/the internet altogether.

I think that guy just made those pics himself just to have something to whine about.

Sarah

« Reply #1416 on: April 05, 2010, 07:31:27 AM »
But then he also seems to think that calling middle-aged women "girls" makes them happy.

He's not entirely wrong about this, Lubec. 

I don't know.  I think he's too young to get away with it.  It comes off as condescending and disrespectful, and I think the cafeteria workers in the West Virginia grammar school where I've been hearing him do it resent him for it. 

Thanks for the other, by the way.

And, Andy (whom I respect and admire [naturally])?  Go to hell, boy.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1417 on: April 05, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
I sort of know who Jamie Oliver is, but for the purposes of this thread I've been steadfastly and stubbornly thinking of Jamie Kennedy.

Don't be hatin'.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1418 on: April 05, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
Yes, but he's just reading lines.  Jamie Oliver (whom I like, by the way) seems to use it compulsively to sound young and hep.  But then he also seems to think that calling middle-aged women "girls" makes them happy.

Yeah, in Jamie's American Road Trip it was actually more like "bruvva," which is obviously even worse. The guy seems to cycle through these weird verbal tics - "pukka," for example. When he was making Jamie at Home he used the word "literally" about 50 times each episode.

Overall, I'm enjoying the show, though. I love the guy, even if he does have some annoying mannerisms.

Sarah

« Reply #1419 on: April 05, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »
Oh, he's a sweetie and his heart is in the right place.  I forgive him a great deal. 

And "pukka" was hilarious.

Pidgeon

« Reply #1420 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
I've only ever known him from when Anthony Bourdain zings him.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1421 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
I'll take a Jaime Oliver over an Anthony Bourdain six out of seven days in the week.

Pidgeon

« Reply #1422 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »
Ah come on, I love Tony.

I do remember that Sweden episode where he basically just shat all over the country in general (not to mention ABBA!).

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1423 on: April 05, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
I don't mind Bourdain*. And I don't have any problem with his assessment of Swedish food. Opinions.

*) I do have a problem with his machismo and his ridiculous notion that everybody who works with food is some kind of (cool) psycho

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1424 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
I don't understand the notion that Tony Bourdain is regarded as some sort of arbiter of taste and the only time he isn't sucking on a Marlboro Red is when he is gulping foie gras or something made of pig.

He could make a nice paté out of lispy, irritating, Jamie, though.

At least Tony doesn't have two thousand lines of cookware bearing his name out there. Jamie's brand is a bit over-saturated, at least here in the Northern Europes.
"Is this me?"