Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 917355 times)

Andy

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1950 on: September 02, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Racist.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1951 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »

One-joke 'humor' blogs getting book deals is something else I hate (Stuff White People Like, S%(*( My Dad Says, etc). The word 'humor' is kind of like the word 'monologuist' - kind of sets your expectations low so you don't feel too ripped off if you don't laugh much.

I generally agree, but I gotta say that I love "Stuff White People Like" and feel that the writers deserve anything they get.

I think I am probably hating the people offering up the book deals as much or more than the blog people. I found 'Stuff White People Like' amusing because I like most of that stuff, but it seems like once it got a book deal suddenly every other remotely similar blog has to get a book deal, too.

Sarah

« Reply #1952 on: September 02, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
The Pill "Don't Spare Your Best Pair"

I hate this commercial.  I hate all those clotheslines festooned only with a myriad of pretty panties and pastel sheets.  I hate the smirk on the girl's face.  I hate the way she serpentines amid the laundry, snags a single pair of underpants from the line, and then goes inside only to deposit it in a drawer--WHICH SHE THEN LEAVES AJAR.  I hate the way she then grabs from a rack a random smocklike garment reminiscent of a waitress uniform or perhaps the regulation garb of a mental hospital--whether intended for staff or patient is unclear--and wafts back outside to drape it casually over one of the array of clotheslines.  I hate the slogan "Don't spare your best pair," which not only painfully distorts the idiom but is cloyingly cute to boot.  Perhaps most of all I hate Hulu for inflicting this ad on me over and over and over again.

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1953 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
I hate this commercial.  I hate all those clotheslines festooned only with a myriad of pretty panties and pastel sheets.  I hate the smirk on the girl's face.  I hate the way she serpentines amid the laundry, snags a single pair of underpants from the line, and then goes inside only to deposit it in a drawer--WHICH SHE THEN LEAVES AJAR.  I hate the way she then grabs from a rack a random smocklike garment reminiscent of a waitress uniform or perhaps the regulation garb of a mental hospital--whether intended for staff or patient is unclear--and wafts back outside to drape it casually over one of the array of clotheslines.  I hate the slogan "Don't spare your best pair," which not only painfully distorts the idiom but is cloyingly cute to boot.  Perhaps most of all I hate Hulu for inflicting this ad on me over and over and over again.

"Serious risks include blood clots, stroke and heart attacks."

I kind of like how 'stroke' is singular, yet 'heart attacks' is plural.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1954 on: September 03, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
The Pill "Don't Spare Your Best Pair"

"Underwear, Undies, Unmentionables..." Hard to make it past the first 3 seconds. I also like the choice of colors and fonts at the 0:52 mark, just in case you weren't getting that this was marketed to women.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1955 on: September 03, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Invitations to events where liquor is described as 'libations'.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1956 on: September 03, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
Or "adult beverages" or "coldbeer" (popular with the hayseeds)
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #1957 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
Or "adult beverages" or "coldbeer" (popular with the hayseeds)

Oat Soda is another one I hate.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1958 on: September 04, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
I actually sort of like "adult beverages," but it's better if proceeded by "sophisticated."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

ham bone

• Policemans heel
don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but
« Reply #1959 on: September 05, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »
anytime the prefix "man" is used for anything aka

"man cave"
"man food"
"man room"

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #1960 on: September 05, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
In advertising, companies calling a perk "free." for example, in a Vonage comercial a woman says "I can call puerto Rico Free!" Well, not really.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1961 on: September 06, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
It blows me away how self-important a lot of the twats on twitter can be. Two examples of how the Social Media people (read: PR types) are trying to flex their muscles:

I just read a 6 paragraph blog post about how outraged someone is that the best local coffee shop has turned off the power to their outlets so that people don't sit there all day (shame on me for reading it.)  Keep in mind, this coffee shop is a no-nonsense kind of place that sells themselves as such AND they still have free wifi, they just don't want you setting up camp for so long that you have to recharge your laptop.  The coffee shop doesn't sell itself as a laid back place where you're welcome to hang out, and no one even questions that their coffee is the best in the area.  The impression I got from reading this shithead's blog post is that he's more upset that they never responded to his complaint via @reply on twitter (newsflash:  all the other PR idiots were OUTRAGED that the coffee shop wouldn't respond. IT'S A PR CATASTROPHE!!!!)

We have a very good local taco truck/restaurant that prides itself on making everything in house and fresh every day.  This place is good.  Like Rick Bayless invited the owners to his house to cook dinner for him good.  Well, one day one of these Social Media idiots gets a bone in their chicken taco. She goes up to the counter and tells them, asking for her meal to be comp'ed, they said they'd give her another taco, but they weren't giving her any money back.  She proceeds to trash them on Twitter, talking about how they didn't offer her anything and how she wanted an apology or she would continue to trash them.  Their public response was "We use fresh chicken, occasionally you'll get a bone. If you don't like it, eat at Chili's." Public support for the taco shop was huge and eventually all the other PR types that had lined up behind the complained showed their true colors and turned on her because her side wasn't popular.

So, really, I'm bitching about PR people and not twitter people, but the two are kind of synonymous in OKC.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1962 on: September 06, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
Another good reason to hate twitter: it has exposed Wayne Coyne as being way more of a 50 year old pothead frat boy than some kind of artistic genius.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

jendawnb

• Policemans heel
« Reply #1963 on: September 07, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »
Another good reason to hate twitter: it has exposed Wayne Coyne as being way more of a 50 year old pothead frat boy than some kind of artistic genius.

You don't love the photos of his half-naked wife & of drunk girls falling all over your fair city?
"I am the shade of a person who was killed in a violent crime, and my spirit lingers here on earth because of the unfinished business that I have in life.  Could you play some Ke$ha?"

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1964 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
I'm still pissed at Wayne Coyne for ripping off Peter Gabriel.

I would love to see Coyne's ball get picked up by a sky hook attached to a helicopter, and then subsequently dropped into the middle of the Pacific.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling