Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 913736 times)

Jennifer

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »
I hate that my boss, who tends to be a micromanager, is suddenly all into feng shui. No. You do not need a plant in your career corner, you need to stop being a control freak.

Sweet pickles are the only kind I like! Now olives, on the other hand...

emma

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
I hate dill. I think it's the worst herb ever.

I know this is a controversial statement, but someone had to make it.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »
Sweet pickles are the only kind I like! Now olives, on the other hand...

Did you ever have the misfortune of eating a green olive stuffed with blue cheese? It's like a vomit-bomb in your mouth.

Emma, you just blew my mind.
from the land of pleasant living

Jennifer

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
No, that is definitely something I would stay away from. And I'm from Buffalo NY, where blue cheese is considered a complement to everything.

I don't like dill either, now that I think about it. But I really hate mushrooms.

(Erika, I lived in Baltimore for a couple of years (MICA) and I miss it terribly! I wish I had been on here when everyone was watching The Wire.)

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
I hate athletes being called by their initials or even worse by their first initial and the first syllable of their last name. I saw Deron Williams called D-Will in an ESPN article today. Ugh. Sports players used to have great nicknames and now they all are ARod or AP or LT. Thanks ESPN.

I agree with this. Old-timey sports nicknames (particularly baseball) are right up there with gangster nicknames in terms of hilarity.

The two best:
Bob "Death To Flying Things" Ferguson
Hugh "Losing Pitcher" Mulcahy

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »
dill pickles=delicious
dill on carrots=the opposite of delicious

i also dislike the crippling dependence that is placed on: GPS, wikipedia, and cell phones

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »

i also dislike the crippling dependence that is placed on: GPS, wikipedia, and cell phones

What's weird about these things is you were fine without them, and then they were introduced into your life and you're immediately helpless without them.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Uh-oh.  Is it the racist humor, or the cock rock?

what's racist about not liking the obnoxious gypsy family in my neighborhood? 

It's your emphasis of the "gypsy" part rather than the "obnoxious" part.

Obviously murdering them like in England is evil and wrong, but whats the difference between hating gypsies and hating Portland street trash? At least street trash hasn't been living that lifestyle for 3,000 years.

Anyone who modifies a motor vehicle to make it louder.

The worst!

Other things on my stuff I hate list:

-people who used to work in the food service industry who try to lay a guilt trip on you after you leave a 15-17% tip. I also don't get paid much and I am tipping the customary amount. There are a million good causes in the world to give extra support to. Waiters are not on that list. The people cooking the food are making less than them.

-Donald Trump buying Ed McMahon's house. That guy burned through $220 million that he was incredibly over-paid for by ferrying himself around in private jets and all kinds of wasteful, ostentatious lifestyle choices. Then the media felt sorry for him because he squandered his entire fortune. Now he is being rewarded for his terrible decisions by Donald Trump. He should have to sell his mansion and live the rest of his life in a normal persons house.

-and relatedly, Housing costs and housing markets. Not only do I hate it that I may never be able to buy a house, I also hate it that my parents (and their generation), many of whom based their retirement on their house are now screwed. It seems like everyone is the loser in this thing.

mine are all money related. i've been a little preoccupied with it, i guess.

Sarah

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
What's weird about these things is you were fine without them, and then they were introduced into your life and you're immediately helpless without them.

Calculators did the same thing to people's arithmetical abilities.  Remember, Dave?

Also, I could, if I wanted, refer to myself as S.StO.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Calculators did the same thing to people's arithmetical abilities.  Remember, Dave?

Also, I could, if I wanted, refer to myself as S.StO.

i threw calculators on there (for that very reason), then deleted it.  ive also come across a number of adults lately who dont know how to tell time unless it's digital.

Sarah

« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
God, I'm glad I'm a recluse.

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
-people who used to work in the food service industry who try to lay a guilt trip on you after you leave a 15-17% tip. I also don't get paid much and I am tipping the customary amount. There are a million good causes in the world to give extra support to. Waiters are not on that list. The people cooking the food are making less than them.

Agreed. (I also tip in that range.)

Having said that, I'm guilty of lecturing friends at the movies who leave their popcorn bags, etc., on the floor and say "Oh, it's their job to clean that up." It'd also be their job to clean up after someone who crapped on the floor; that's not a reason to do it.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
The "internet as a substitute for remembering stuff or real research" and "gps as a substitute for knowing how to read a map/look around" thing bugs me, but cell phones sure make it easier to meet up with people and schedule stuff, especially from out of town.  I don't think that the whole "expect me at your door between 1pm and 5pm sometime tomorrow" thing is to be missed.  I'd rather just call when I'm 30 mins away.  I sometimes text the lady when we're separated in Target or Costco.  Good stuff.  Cell phones.  Check them out.

I tip like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »
true...but prior to the internet people still referred to books, periodicals, archives, and people just as frequently when needed. 

i suppose my cell phone dependency hatred comes from people feeling completely helpless without one, which is insane.  having said that, i text S.O.S. signals in Target myself when i'm lost.

GUILTY.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
"Man up."  Enough already.

"Shit the bed."  (Sorry, Bobo.)

wow. I didn't realize that I even used that phrase that often. I guess both of my top terms to describe something being broken are both feces-based (the other being "crapped out"). Paging Dr. Freud!

added to my list:

amirite?!

ALSO: I will continue to use C.Mo as my sometimes email signature. I like it, and have been using it for years. SOME people are just jealous that their names can't be J.Lo-ized, I guess.

I actually only read you using it once, but didn't want to seem like I was calling you out.  In fact, it's just because Tom Cruise says it in Tropic Thunder.

If it makes you feel better, I had no idea that "Jazz hands," "Internets," and "Good times, good times" were played out, especially considering that my experience with each of those has been limited to choreography/rehearsal, Andy Breckman, and my friend Young Jean commenting on a skinhead bar in Ljubljana in 2006, in that order.

Back on topic: f you, walnuts.  How are you get in the way of my almonds, cashews, and peanuts.  You might want to consider some line of work other than nut.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.