Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911693 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
The conductors (or as I like to call them, Da Kunduktaz) still talk.  But didn't they just build that station in like 2002?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
I'm sure. The last time I rode NJ transit was in 2003, so that makes sense. Sorry, I didn't intend for my comment to seem like I was reminiscing 'bout the old days. I was  just having fond memories of six years ago.

But if you want to talk about my older days with NJ Transit: I can remember being stuck for 3 hours in a snowstorm on a train with my grandma. (it must have been '88 or '89), and crying because we missed most of "A Christmas Spectacular!" I can also remember sitting in gum on the train once.

Fonder memory: When I was a teenager, my friends and I would always go to New York via by NJ Transit bus in a big group. My only good memories of high school revolve around those weekend NYC daytrips.  As much as it sucked, that bus was a godsend. It was like 2 bucks to ride down to the city and pretend we were cool.  We would sit on the curb and wait. Sitting on the curb was really deliberate--- we probably thought it made us look dangerous or something. I'm sure we just looked like obnoxious NJ teenagers.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
FOT ADD
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2008, 11:28:50 PM »
NJ Transit.  And the Rutgers Bus System, while Im at it.  F you both sideways.

I will always hold dear to my heart the hold music from NJ Transit circa 1990. After being forced to listen to it for blocks of 15-20 minutes, I could not help but fall under it's hypnotic beauty.

with a casio-esque drum pattern played beneath, a male voice would speak/sing the following line:

"Enjaaaaaaaaay Tran-sit......Workin......New Jersey On the Move...."

I used to  like when the train went through Secaucus. The conductor always said:  "SEEEEE....CAWWW-KUSS!!!" Do they still do that, or is it all automated voices now?

Sadly it's now animated, Beth. My personal favorite was "Perth Amboy, Gateway to Staten Island!".

"This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
My grandpa & great uncle once swam from Perth Amboy to Staten Island. True story.

Stan

« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
My grandpa & great uncle once swam from Perth Amboy to Staten Island. True story.

They must have wanted to go to Sedutto's really badly.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
Really, Stan?  They must save the fancy robots for the coastline train.  The NE Corridor keeps it real.  Hey Andy, instead of complaining, why not regale us with some tales of the Oklahoma City bus system?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
I wasn't complaining.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
Time

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »
I wasn't complaining.

Dammit, so much for my strategy in eliciting a lid-blower post on Oklahoma buses.

emma

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »
Time

The relentless force that marches on with no regard to your hopes and dreams, forcing you forward, always forward, with no regard for your wants or needs or dreams or hopes? Or the magazine?

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »
I hate my lack of memory for people's names. Everyone should have a sign floating above their head with their name, if/how we know each other, and a link to add them as a Facebook friend (my main name-learning device) for the first month or two of college.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »
Time

The relentless force that marches on with no regard to your hopes and dreams, forcing you forward, always forward, with no regard for your wants or needs or dreams or hopes? Or the magazine?

Yes

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
Facebook friend (my main name-learning device)

Wow, I just realized Facebook would've made socializing in college waaay easier if it was around in my day.  Well, maybe replace "socializing" with "talking shit about people I didn't know" and replace "easier" with "more accurate".

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
Facebook friend (my main name-learning device)

Wow, I just realized Facebook would've made socializing in college waaay easier if it was around in my day.  Well, maybe replace "socializing" with "talking shit about people I didn't know" and replace "easier" with "more accurate".

I never saw much of a use for it before, but it really has helped. Maybe we're just a generation too scared to just call each other (though phone numbers are being exchanged left and right as well), but it's acceptable to add as a "friend" someone you casually know well enough to know their full name, eliminating the awkwardness of asking for someone's contact information. Plus I've been using it to look up the names of people I should remember but don't.