Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 911676 times)

Beth

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
They've fortunately never been able to catch a bird before it flew away. But I'm imagining this scenario, and yes, it must be worse.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »
I'm cutting my month in Stockholm a couple of days short because of a wedding party I'm attending in my hometown of Malmö. So I'm leaving tomorrow morning instead of mid-next week, which has annoyed my colleagues somewhat, but I've explained that I just can't not attend the wedding - it's two friends of mine who are getting hitched, and tons of friends from all over the country are converging for the big dinner/party. So tonight, five minutes to midnight, I get a text message from the bride. The party's off! Supposedly, both the bride and groom are down and out with the flu. So yeah, all you who are already there and have paid a fortune on plane tickets and fancy dresses and took time off from work etc - sorry! So frustrating and confusing; I don't exactly call bullshit, but seriously, if you cancel your own wedding party you better be close to dying from that flu.

So, uh, I suppose I hate when shit like that happens.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Fucking Rosh Hashanah is the same night I was going to see Big Dipper. How is it possible that the only two major commitments I have are at the same time?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
big, giant, foreign objects in the middle of the road (yes, i hit it) causing you to miss ALL of friday nite GONERFEST.

p.s. and the guy who was smoking at the gas pump last nite.

Baron: "hey!  do me a favor...show some respect and put that out."
Idiot: "what?"
Baron: "put it out, you idiot!"
Idiot: [smashes cigarette on ground] "oh yeah, i know, i know."
Baron: [under breath] "yeah, you know."

Sarah

« Reply #274 on: September 30, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »
Respect for gasoline and its ignitable tendencies?

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #275 on: September 30, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
When people use LOL at the end of every (frequent) facebook status update:

(blank) needs to go to the store. LOL!!
(blank) got a haircut today. LOL!
(blank) is having fun. LOL!!!
(blank) just drank some coffee. LOL!!!

And on and on.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #276 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »
Facebook updates.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »
When people use LOL at the end of every (frequent) facebook status update:

(blank) needs to go to the store. LOL!!
(blank) got a haircut today. LOL!
(blank) is having fun. LOL!!!
(blank) just drank some coffee. LOL!!!

And on and on.

As per the terms of the living will, the respirator will be turned off after 72 hours. LOL!!!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Respect for gasoline and its ignitable tendencies?

noooo, Sarah.  respect for my life, cancer mom's life, and people who are just getting gas on a monday nite.

indirectly, this would mean yes (for gasoline and its ignitable tendencies).  you're right.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »
You'll be interested to know that I stopped by my currently sublet apartment this weekend to pick up some mail, and the place looked like a carwash. No broken furniture or anything*, but the curator creep's stuff was violently spread out across the entire apartment. It was just insane. Like someone placed all his belongings in the middle of the apartment and threw a handgrenade at it.

I don't care that much, as long as everything's in order when I get back. Somehow I doubt it. But then it's war. Right now I'm taking the Zen approach.

*) though he had broken a coffee cup which was part of an insanely expensive, and more or less irreplacable, Rörstrand set that I inherited from my grandma. That made me furious. (I know, I probably should've hid it somewhere - but jesus, the creep is still an adult, not a five-year-old.)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #280 on: September 30, 2008, 06:26:17 PM »
that's a real shame, Martin.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #281 on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:24 PM »
You should say something like "How about you curate what teeth you wanna keep?" and when he goes "What??" you punch him in the mouth.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2008, 10:33:53 AM »
I hate it when people have computer/copier/fax/whatever problems and they try to blame the piece of equipment.  I understand that it's frustrating when you can't figure something out, but generally computers don't "have a mind of their own".  It's that you're doing something wrong.  If it continues to not do what you want, it's because you keep doing something wrong.  It doesn't help to get mad at the machine.

Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2008, 10:40:26 AM »
I hate it when people have computer/copier/fax/whatever problems and they try to blame the piece of equipment.  I understand that it's frustrating when you can't figure something out, but generally computers don't "have a mind of their own".  It's that you're doing something wrong.  If it continues to not do what you want, it's because you keep doing something wrong.  It doesn't help to get mad at the machine.

This is only mostly true. Computers do manifest spontaneous problems sometimes. Our eyetracking computer just started bluescreening about 5 minutes ago for no obvious reason.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
yes, but if the fax machine keeps giving you an "error: cannot connect", it's a billion times more likely that you're dialing the number wrong (the actual problem) then it is that thefax machine is doing something wrong (perceived problem).

I'm not saying equipment never fails, I'm saying that it's more consistent and reliable than humans, generally speaking.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time