Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 914475 times)

Sarah

Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #420 on: December 22, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
The thing is, I've met plenty of soi-disant vegetarians who eat fish, so asking about that doesn't seem unreasonable.  I also don't see why the dairy question is out of line.  Especially if someone is trying to figure out how to feed you.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #421 on: December 22, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
oddly, not ONE person who has discussed this with me was ever trying to feed me.  it will usually come up because i'll order something at a restaurant and i'm the jerk making all the substitutions, or i'm the wrench thrown in the gears when everyone wants to head to a steakhouse.

and im usually asked if i eat chicken before they ask about fish, so i answer, "i don't eat ANY meat."  im not Hitler about it; i like meat, im not against killing animals, and i miss sushi...im just confused why it becomes a twenty minute explanation- that's the part i hate, not that they asked me.

Sarah

« Reply #422 on: December 22, 2008, 01:38:10 PM »
Ah, gotcha.  I didn't get the context because I can't imagine bothering to quiz someone who says, "I'm a vegetarian."  It doesn't seem like it should be anything remarkable these days, you know? 

Do you get the "Well, do you wear leather shoes" bit, too?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #423 on: December 22, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
yeah, leather and wool. 

and youre right, it shouldnt be news but somewhow it still is. 

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #424 on: December 22, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
People usually give me shit about my silk shirts and coonskin cap.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #425 on: December 22, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
Also, you should try telling people that you don't drink sometimes.  Some people just won't let it fucking die.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #426 on: December 22, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
Also, you should try telling people that you don't drink sometimes.  Some people just won't let it fucking die.

no kidding.  i drink, but its severely moderate.  ive had more beer bought for me than ive ever bought for myself; it creates a real stir when im in a bar drinking water. 

Sarah

« Reply #427 on: December 22, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »
Likewise, when I'm around people who are smoking pot, they usually have a really hard time accepting it when I politely decline to partake.  In fact, this holds true in almost any situation where people are consuming a thing that one doesn't want to consume.  (I've had people try to make me agree to eat smoked fish even after I've explained it makes me queasy.)  And it goes way beyond this, when you come down to it.  Look how outraged fans can become when faced with someone who doesn't share the same enthusiasm.  What it amounts to is that people generally don't like it when anyone doesn't agree with them, be it about food, drink, music, books, politics, or religion.  It's that basic streak of douchery (or diquishness, if you prefer) that resides within us all and that we all must struggle to overcome.

And that's my simple-minded Christmas message.  Ho ho ho!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #428 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
"Our pride is more offended by attacks on our taste than on our opinions."

-Le Rochefoucauld

Sarah

« Reply #429 on: December 22, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
Et disant seulement qu'on n'aime pas telle ou telle chose est aperçu comme une attaque.

edit:  Modified to correct my oh-so-rusty French.  Which I only used because of the fancy quotin'.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »
It's pretty easy for me to turn down pot (shut up, it happens). "I'm Swedish, I'll just stick to this vodka bottle."

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2008, 03:30:09 PM »
I thought you guys smoked fish?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
I don't know how Northern/Eastern Europeans or Mad Men-era America or anyone can manage to drink so much hard liquor.  I suppose it's a wonderful gift.

Et disant seulement qu'on n'aime pas tel ou tel chose est aperçu comme une attaque.

Or, as I always say,

erechoveraker

« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
F you new blog@newsarama - special double-F's for J. Caleb Mozzocco and Sarah Jaffe (yes I know, "Who?") for being especially awful.

Martin

• Space Champion!