Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 889879 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »
That "23-year-old comedian" Steven Crowder is going places.  Check out his YouTube videos if you don't believe me. Potential Best Show guest?

I don't think it makes much difference if they add hipsters to their hate list; it's already so long that another item more or less is hardly noticeable.  Let' em foam at the mouth over narrow-brimmed hats, it's at least a little more up-to-date than white wine and arugula.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #1321 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1322 on: September 19, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
Potential Best Show guest?

I'd like to see this kid become the new Milo:

Jonathan Krohn - CPAC - The Future Of Conservatism

If we could just find a few more like him, I would pay good money to see a Bugsy Malone-style Republican debate featuring only pre-teens.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1323 on: September 19, 2011, 11:10:10 PM »
The argument about "trying to be taken seriously" has been going around and around forever. Todd Gitlin has made an entire career out of it. If you look at old photos of the early gay 60s rights movement, they deliberately looked conservative and establishment in an attempt to be taken seriously. A far cry from the pride parades of the past 20 years, but who would argue that things are worse for gay people now (and yeah, that Onion headline about pride parades setting gay rights back is funny, it's but not really true)?

I did a lot of activism around public space in NYC in the 90s, and the big knock on "the left" at that point was that it was humorless and self-serious (lots of vegan/New Age/anarchist cracks). So we would pull off goofy street theater stunts and in the space of a few years the knock was that WTO/IMF meetings were like Dead shows and the global justice movement wasn't "serious." Both critiques had some basis in fact, but ultimately media perception hardly makes a difference. For whatever reason (corporate ownership, the fact that most movements don't turn out to be newsworthy, the general elitist bias of the Ivy League types who make up the media) most movements aren't taken very seriously until after they achieve something. And when they do achieve anything, it's usually because the stakes are high enough for people to put themselves at risk, like in the Arab Spring movements (or the anti-nuclear, anti-apartheid, or gay rights movements -- three successful campaigns that took place in the Reagan era). If things get so bad that American young people are really out of options, that encampment is just going to get bigger. If not, it won't. In the former case, it will be taken seriously, even if it's full of hippies wearing V masks. If it's the latter, it probably won't, no matter who shows up.

As far as the Tea Party goes, it was a genuine grassroots movement, but it was a fraction of the size of the anti-Iraq-war protests in 2003. But unlike the antiwar protests, it was kept alive by constant media attention (from the NYT and WaPo as well as Fox and CNBC) and large sums of money from people like the Koch brothers. The antiwar protests were briefly covered, then ignored, and most people just went back to their lives. I did too. People are busy, and there is no draft.

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1324 on: September 20, 2011, 12:09:46 AM »
When I was about to go to college, there were liberal protesters camped out in The Pit in tents to show solidarity with the Palestinians who'd been sent  to live in tents in the desert.  The Palestinians had been there for, I think, 400 days, in tents in the desert.

The liberal protesters got mad because the Undergraduate Library wouldn't stay open all night to let them use the bathroom.  I thought, way to suffer alongside your brothers, my man.

Then the conservatives came through with water balloons, yelled "SCUD attack" and threw them at the tents.  I thought, these are the people who glorify war and want us to invade Iraq.  Which we did shortly thereafter.  They were treating war like a joke because they knew that they'd never have to serve in one, even if there WAS a draft, because their daddies would get them out of it.  Two of these bastards are now North Carolina state representatives.  Guess which way they voted on the recently passed anti-gay marriage amendment?

At that point I became inured to protests in the United States.  I'm sure they were impactful in the 1960s and 1970s.  I wonder if the American standard of living is too high to make them effective now or something.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1325 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »
A far cry from the pride parades of the past 20 years, but who would argue that things are worse for gay people now (and yeah, that Onion headline about pride parades setting gay rights back is funny, it's but not really true)?

As Julie Klausner recently pointed out, the movie Bruno set back gay rights 1,000 years.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1327 on: September 22, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »
It took me a while to get that, but then I remembered this:

You have to admit, the guy has a point.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1328 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »
Currently that painting hangs outside the Oval Office.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1329 on: September 22, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »
Does anyone else dig the awfulness of Mike Lester?

Uh, sad.  He's probably among the less untalented graphic artists to produce hateful, Der Sturmer-esque propaganda for the outer reaches of American wingnuttery, but do I "dig" it? Nuh-uh.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1330 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
Wow. Never heard of this Mike Lester before. I'd say he's the political Jack Chick, except Chick at least has credibility as a visual artist.

But I must say, some of these cartoons made me LOL due to their psychotically bizarre sheer badness. So I guess I'm "digging" him on that level.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Kormod

« Reply #1331 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »

Uh, sad.  He's probably among the less untalented graphic artists to produce hateful, Der Sturmer-esque propaganda for the outer reaches of American wingnuttery, but do I "dig" it? Nuh-uh.

Eh, you're the real racist.

This most likely isn't "real" conservative propaganda, but it's funny nonetheless:

http://www.ep.tc/tea-party-comix/

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1332 on: September 22, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »

Eh, you're the real racist.

This most likely isn't "real" conservative propaganda, but it's funny nonetheless:

http://www.ep.tc/tea-party-comix/

Those... oh my god. Those are amazing.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1333 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1334 on: September 29, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Really belongs in "Worst Song Ever," but if you start putting white, Republican-themed "rap" songs in there, there'll never be any point in posting anything else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uJYgvg7u00c#!