Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 854031 times)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
Is it me or are we seeing signs of partisanship creeping into the DailyKos website?

Dunno, but the video of Juneau was an interesting watch (not for the Governor, for the city).

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

emma

« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
HOLD UP!

Palin's 17 year-old-daughter is pregnant?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/01/palins-17-year-old-daughter-is-pregnant/?hp

I was just about to post this!

I love US elections. They're so much more Days Of Our Lives than ours.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
Daily Kos? I misread it as Daily Hos

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »
Juneau/Juno

chrisfoll577

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
I wonder if the Daily Kos crowd will remember that Barack Obama's mother was unwed and not much older than Bristol Palin when she was pregnant with him.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »
Poor girl. 

For her sake (and for every other reason I can think of), I hope her mom loses the election.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »
I wonder if the Daily Kos crowd will remember that Barack Obama's mother was unwed and not much older than Bristol Palin when she was pregnant with him.

I hope the republican crowd will remember their idiotic abstinence-only programs they want in every school. Being this is America it's only idiotic, when they ship those programs overseas to areas where the people have no means then it becomes criminally immoral.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »

Yes, but Barack Obama's  grandmother wasn't running for vice-president of a party whose conservative members currently frown on teen sexual intercourse.

chrisfoll577

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

Yes, but Barack Obama's  grandmother wasn't running for vice-president of a party whose conservative members currently frown on teen sexual intercourse.

I totally agree that the fact that she's socially conservative and her daughter's circumstances makes this ironic and somewhat newsworthy, but I just find the kind of gleeful twittering about candidate's family matters in general distasteful.  And I'm sure Republicans would be reacting in a similar political way if a Democrat candidate's child made scandalous news contrary to liberal orthodoxy.  I guess what I was trying to point out is that these kind of things aren't necessarily anything new, and effect families on both sides of the aisle.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I don't think Palin or McCain's view on abstinence has changed any, so I don't get why this is a big deal. Teaching abstinence only in schools is dumb but it's the daughter who made the "mistake" not Sarah Palin. It can be used to attack what's taught to teens but I don't think it should be used against Palin. I'd say it's a non-issue.

todd

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2008, 07:35:08 PM »

I totally agree that the fact that she's socially conservative and her daughter's circumstances makes this ironic and somewhat newsworthy, but I just find the kind of gleeful twittering about candidate's family matters in general distasteful.  And I'm sure Republicans would be reacting in a similar political way if a Democrat candidate's child made scandalous news contrary to liberal orthodoxy.  I guess what I was trying to point out is that these kind of things aren't necessarily anything new, and effect families on both sides of the aisle.

Not me! Nothing makes me happier than watching conservatives take a bite of the shit-sandwich they made for themselves.

I'm still a little baffled by all of this. It's been less than a week and Palin is already being torn to shreds - what the hell was McCain's campaign thinking? Once the VP debate rolls around, Palin is going to be calling up Harriet Myers to get the number for her therapist.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »

Not me! Nothing makes me happier than watching conservatives take a bite of the shit-sandwich they made for themselves.

I'm still a little baffled by all of this. It's been less than a week and Palin is already being torn to shreds - what the hell was McCain's campaign thinking? Once the VP debate rolls around, Palin is going to be calling up Harriet Myers to get the number for her therapist.

It reminds me of when Cheney's daughter was discovered to be a lesbian, years after rumors had circulated about it in the gay community. It didn't seem to have much impact on him, and this probably won't either. Hypocritical and anti-gay, yes, but consequential? It didn't seem like it, and sure didn't cause any soul-searching in the Republican ranks as far as I could see. Lynn Cheney seemed to dig in her heels and tried to play victim over how "tastelessly and hurtfully" the Democrats were trying to use it.  Fair game, I thought, for a homophobic VP and party platform. In fact, Kerry got some s-hit for bringing it up during a debate.

The disclosure about the Palin girl does raise some questions about the kind of vetting that the McCain campaign did, but then I haven't read the articles about this yet. So maybe I should shut up and read.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2008, 08:20:21 PM »
I don't think Palin or McCain's view on abstinence has changed any, so I don't get why this is a big deal. Teaching abstinence only in schools is dumb but it's the daughter who made the "mistake" not Sarah Palin. It can be used to attack what's taught to teens but I don't think it should be used against Palin. I'd say it's a non-issue.

Because she's the one promoting what's taught to teens. It disproves her own policy.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
I read that McCain allegedly already knew the daughter was pregnant.  Don't know if I believe that though.  But if I did, there's a conspiracy theorist in me that thinks it's all part of some grand design, a weird baiting of Democrats and the left wing to jump on her and then to yell "For Shame" from the right wing when they do.  That seemed to be the tone of the article I read on CNN this morning.